Which are the best speakers for Arcam FMJ A19?

Edimm

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone. I just bought the Arcam FMJ A19, and I know how dificult is matching it with the proper pair of speakers. I understand first thing is define "what kind of sound I'm looking for". Well, I have a Project Carbon III turntable, and usually listen vinyl, almost never CD's. And the sound I'm looking for, is "very detailed", that I can can listen each instrument and feel surrounded by them, like in front of the band. I have listened the Arcam with a pair of Q Acoustic Concept20 and the 2020i, and I didn't get really impressed. Then I put an eye on Monitor Audio Bx2, but I think maybe get short of performance. By other hand I read a lot in the forums and the unanimous suggestion, and what looks like the perfect match are the Kef LS50. I have no doubt that would be a great buy, but is a lot of money and I don't know if there are better (or at least very good) and cheaper options. My living room size is 9x17 feet. The speakers will be facing the 9 feet distance. I ask now for your experience and wise advice. Thank you very much.

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Ive owned the Arcam amp with the Kefs and they do make music extrememly well but they are £800 and i personlly would look at floorstanders like the tannoy v4 they only cost £225 from richer sounds and they are amazing for there price i think these could be just what your after and shouldnt sound boomy in a room of your size.

They produce a very large 3D soundstage go nice and loud without sounding harsh and are detailed.

have a read of What Hifis review of them itll help

hope this helps

What is your budget for speakers?

I, too, would suggest floorstanders and would look towards the Acoustic Energy 103's as a very good match if you are going to spend £550 or so.

If you have to have cheaper standmounts then do try to audition the Cambridge Audio Aero 2's.

Always bear in mind that as important as amplifier / speaker synergy is, more important is whether or not the speakers are actually going to suit your room.

My room is 11' x 18', and had MA RS6s sounding excellent with Arcam amps, however, if I had my time again I'd be looking at s/hand PMC GB1is, MA BX5, Focal 714V or the standmount equivalents to the above (DB1is, BX2, 706V). Alternatively, look at Kef R100, Q Acoustic Concept or floorstander version (2050i I think).

iancass

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Thats a decent amp the A19 and to hear it properly its worth saving your pennies to get the right speakers that you really want through auditoning, not the speakers for right now as a stop gap. The LS50 work well with that amplifier, I have heard them both together and they didn't dissapoint. Sometimes the cheaper option is not always the best option. Maybe look out for some second hand bargains.

rocketride

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Lived with Arcam A19 for almost four months. Tried a lots of speakers to find the perfect match. My bet is Monitor Audio RX2 (RX series in general). Full bodied sound, easy to drive...

Tried A19 with Kef LS50,, far from perfect IMO. Kefs are powerhungry. If you want to drive LS50 properly with A19 you have to push it so hard. Simply, 50w per ch are not enough for LS50.

Acording to reviews and awards, looks like Arcam and Kef have kind of partnership and appear together at hifi shows...ect but, do not believe everytthing you read in the perss. ;)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Arcam pair very well with Dali and ProAc in my experience. Personally I would avoid anything with a metal tweeter, but that is personal taste as I don't like brash treble.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
rocketride said:
Lived with Arcam A19 for almost four months. Tried a lots of speakers to find the perfect match. My bet is Monitor Audio RX2 (RX series in general). Full bodied sound, easy to drive...

Tried A19 with Kef LS50,, far from perfect IMO. Kefs are powerhungry. If you want to drive LS50 properly with A19 you have to push it so hard. Simply, 50w per ch are not enough for LS50.

Acording to reviews and awards, looks like Arcam and Kef have kind of partnership and appear together at hifi shows...ect but, do not believe everytthing you read in the perss. ;)

I had the A19 with Kef R100 for a long time and was very happy with the setup. The R100 are on paper only 1dB more sensitive than the LS50, and they work superbly with the A19.

If you were looking for a full-bodied sound, the R100 would have surely been a better option to consider than the LS50.

Lwebb

May 27, 2015
Visit site
I was auditioning a Roksan Kandy K3 this weekend using PMC Twenty 21 and 22, KefLs50, B&W 683s2 and B&W CM5s...

That is not the surprise, there was a Arcam a19 also in the room so I asked to hear the PMCs through it for a comparison against the much more expensive K3 (Btw I have heard the Kef Ls50s with the a19 and they do sound very good to me, you do need to turn up the volume more though). The PMC 21s were very good, crisp detail, very precise instruments but missing some energy, I think I would tire listening to them after a while...not a great match I think the a19 is not 'energetic' in general so coupling with speakers that are also neutral doesn't excite...BUT when we tried the 22s, which I thought would not work well, we were very surprised. The sound through the a19 was better I think than through the Kandy k3 (at double the price). I know the 22s are a several price points beyond the a19 but just illustrates the point that different set ups can make wildly different experiences. The a19 and the Twentey22s produced very good music, again loads of detail, fantastic soundstage and a much warmer fun sound.

rainsoothe

I'm running A19 with Focal Aria 906, and I love it. It's detailed but smooth, warm and full bodied. bass could be tighter though. You might like, as others suggested, the Kef LS50, B&W685s2 or some of the PMC/Proac/Monitor Audio variety. XTZ 93.23 mk II might work as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts