Which Amp? Budget £750

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

[quote user="chiefbrody"][quote user="bluetorric"]
"I should be getting the Nait 5i in the next couple of days, not sure if the new one is any different other than a MP3 socket"

Yes it has been vastly improved not just the MP3 socket, I heard it a few weeks ago and was very impressed with the amount grunt it had for a 50wpc amp it sounded a lot more.............

[/quote]

Well i'm glad to hear that, as the previous one was appartently pretty damn good. That's pretty impressive then, bearing in mind that it costs exactly the same as the old one!!![/quote]

Here is the blurb from Naims site regaring the changes ti the new 5i

"The new NAIT 5i is the latest iteration of
Naim's fabled entry-level amplifier bringing enhanced performance and
usability over its highly regarded predecessor. The most noticeable change
is perhaps the addition of a convenient iPod/MP3 player
input on its front panel.

Within
its incredibly sturdy chassis numerous design upgrades elevate its
musical performance to even greater heights. These include improved
ceramic heat sinking, restructured cabling, and circuit changes to
lower distortion and improve RF rejection. All these add up to provide
a substantial improvement in this amazing amplifier's already
class-leading performance"

A

Anonymous

[quote user="bluetorric"][quote user="chiefbrody"][quote user="bluetorric"]
"I should be getting the Nait 5i in the next couple of days, not sure if the new one is any different other than a MP3 socket"

Yes it has been vastly improved not just the MP3 socket, I heard it a few weeks ago and was very impressed with the amount grunt it had for a 50wpc amp it sounded a lot more.............

[/quote]

Well i'm glad to hear that, as the previous one was appartently pretty damn good. That's pretty impressive then, bearing in mind that it costs exactly the same as the old one!!![/quote]

Here is the blurb from Naims site regaring the changes ti the new 5i

"The new NAIT 5i is the latest iteration of
Naim's fabled entry-level amplifier bringing enhanced performance and
usability over its highly regarded predecessor. The most noticeable change
is perhaps the addition of a convenient iPod/MP3 player
input on its front panel.

Within
its incredibly sturdy chassis numerous design upgrades elevate its
musical performance to even greater heights. These include improved
ceramic heat sinking, restructured cabling, and circuit changes to
lower distortion and improve RF rejection. All these add up to provide
a substantial improvement in this amazing amplifier's already
class-leading performance"[/quote]

Sounds pretty impressive then.

A

Anonymous

Just to throw another spanner in the works, i spoke to a local dealer today who said that i should look towards changing my source instead. Having heard the difference another amp can make, i am a bit wary of doing this. I may have to try another source just to see. Will i be wasting my time adding the Cyrus 8vs2 (£800) or the Nait5i (£725) to my current source? I realise that i will not be using the amp to it's full potential, but i thought it would be a good first step. I believe the amp to be the weak link in the system.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Sometimes i wonder about "dealers"

I'm not sure what they want to sell sometimes.

I think you've got a very good source and the CD73 would suit the Cyrus 8v2amp very well. Where the Cyrus amp is a little bright/forward, the Arcam CD player will tone down that and make the sound smooth and warm but still punchy with great midrange and crisp, sweet treble.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]Sometimes i wonder about "dealers"

I think you've got a very good source and the CD73 would suit the Cyrus 8v2amp very well. Where the Cyrus amp is a little bright/forward, the Arcam CD player will tone down that and make the sound smooth and warm but still punchy with great midrange and crisp, sweet treble.
[/quote]

Well you have pretty much summed up exactly the sound i heard when i tested the 8vs2 with my kit. Very pleasing. Think i have probably just answered my own question there.

A

Anonymous

Well i now have the new Nait 5i set up. Unfortunately i could only borrow a brand spanker so it will need some running in time, but luckily i have it for a week or so. Even though it is too early to judge i thought i would post my findings so far:

Very musical indeed. Quite a different sound from both my Arcam and the Cyrus so far. It does sound a little "tinny" though and certainly not up to the standard of the Cyrus. However, i'm sure it will improve over the week so i will not read too much into it just yet. I'm using my Arcam remote to control the volume at the moment. Is it just as fiddly with the Naim remote?

Thanks

Tom

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="d_a_n1979"]Sometimes i wonder about "dealers"

[/quote]

IME, whetever they have gathering dust in the stockroom.

A

Anonymous

Andrew,

In your experience, is a week of hard listening enough time to run a brand new amp in, so i can get a good idea of it's sonic character?

Many thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="chiefbrody"]Andrew,

In your experience, is a week of hard listening enough time to run a brand new amp in, so i can get a good idea of it's sonic character?

Many thanks[/quote]

A brand new amp, yes.

A brand new Naim amp, no.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

Many thanks[/quote]

A brand new amp, yes.

[/quote]

I take it, the Naim is going to sound a lot better later on then? That is going to make it very difficult to judge then if i can't audition a run-in one.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
A decent Naim dealer should have one that's been given a serious caning, but given how new the italicised NAIT5 is, it could worth waiting a few weeks, We've got a 5i that's been given a solid hammering at the office, along with a CD5i, and it's really rather nice.

A

Anonymous

A decent Naim dealer should have one that's been given a serious caning, but given how new the italicised NAIT5 is, it could worth waiting a few weeks, We've got a 5i that's been given a solid hammering at the office, along with a CD5i, and it's really rather nice.

[/quote]

You may be right. the dealer did say that he has only recently just got stock of the new model. Out of interest Andrew, do you think it is a good improvement on the previous model? This dealer seemed to think so and i know how well thought of the older model is.

Thanks

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Full review in the March issue, on sale Thursday 7th - that's next Thursday in the shops, sooner for subscribers (storms/snow permitting - let's get the UK infrastructure's excuses in early!)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
Full review in the March issue, on sale Thursday 7th - that's next Thursday in the shops, sooner for subscribers (storms/snow permitting - let's get the UK infrastructure's excuses in early!)

[/quote]

Excellent. I will be waiting patiently. Any early hints on whether the Nait is good enough to remove the 8vs2 from it's position? Very hopeful i know, but if you don't ask you don't get!!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well it's odd that you should say that... Is it enough to say that having First Tested it for our issue due next week that we've instigated a Group Test for the April issue, due first week in March? That hasn't started yet, BTW, so i'm not second-guessing anything...
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
Well it's odd that you should say that... Is it enough to say that having First Tested it for our issue due next week that we've instigated a Group Test for the April issue, due first week in March? That hasn't started yet, BTW, so i'm not second-guessing anything...
emotion-4.gif

[/quote]

Well that is enough for me! I will have to come to my own conclusions and then wait 'till April and see if we agree. I feel that's put more pressure on my own judgement now. Damn, must get listening to more music. I know what i will be doing all weekend!

A

Anonymous

Many thanks[/quote]

A brand new amp, yes.

[/quote]

Are there any Naim owners out there who can help me. How long would you say it takes for the Nait 5i to be relatively well run in. The one i am testing has been played now for about 62 hours. i know that's probably not enough. I can tell it's getting better, tighter and less muddy but just wondered because it is still a long way off the Cyrus 8vs2, which had only had a few hours use it'self.

Many thanks.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I had been thinking of the Sugden A21 amp but the price 1300 GBP and the low power are putting me off.

Wandering through town early one morning I nipped into a hifi shop and I listened to a Naim nait 5i. It was good but I did think the soundstage was a bit imprecise.

The following day I popped into Richer Sounds and they let me listen to the CA 840A version 1 amp. I like it.Powerful precise soundstage with good depth and transparency. Now I know a lot of variables are in this equation and I need to listen to a CA 840A version 2 when it is in stock. But at the moment I do prefer the 840A (and this is v1 ).

One thing I was also aware of was a channel imbalance favouring the right speaker - somewhat annoying. I hope the 840A v2 is not similarly afflicted. I have read the thread relating to the 540A/640A imbalance and it is a concern. It spoils a very fine sounding amp.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I'm going to upset a lot of folks here but I think the running in of cd players, amps and especially cables is nonsense. Electrical circuits may benefit from warming up ie half an hour to stabilize but running in? Sorry, no. Improvements can be heard during the first few minutes then its either wishfull thinking or alpha waves taking over your grey matter ie. you feel more relaxed and at ease. Speakers are another issue as there are mechanical components that need flexing, such as rubber surrounds. That will change the characteristics of reproduction as they break in.

If you dont like the Naim now, I guarantee you wont like it 3 or 12 months down the line ok. Just listen to a few amplifiers in your own surroundings and pick the one you like.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]I'm going to upset a lot of folks here [/quote]

just noticed this is fairly old thread. Just as well, saves me having to read 2000 upset replies on why you should 'run in' everything!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hmm, answering your own posts now? Is that a bit like talking to yourself?

[/quote]

... and I always agree with the reply

A

Anonymous

Well i have the results in.......

Bought the Cyrus 8vs2 today. I know many may disagree, but the Cyrus was the one that did it for me and kept my foot tapping until it was turned off. Got a fairly good price as well so i'm happy!

Cheers for all the advice along the way.

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
Hello chiefbrody, Well in my experience naim equipment takes a very long time to run in and far longer than the majority of other hifi equipment. I would say that it is going to take at least one month of solid use to start hearing its true potential. Our CDX2 took 3 months to fully come on song and continued to improve over a year! If you are not already doing so, make sure you leave the CD player on all the time as it will help matters. Also, if you have not already done so check out the naim forum where you can get some excellent information and advice from naim users. Hope this helps. Kind regards, Darren

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts