WHF team please help re cd

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I hopresome one from the WHF team can give me there views or any one else for that matter.

I have asked on the forums before but no one has being able to answer my query. Thought this would be the best thread to put it in.

I have a Micro mega drive 1 cd transport (13 yeras old), i use it to listen to cds via my Arcam AVR 500 in dolby pro logic 2 music, i know before you all gasp in horror but i have never liked 2 channel :shame: .

I need a blu ray player and was considering the Oppo 95. Would this be an improvement over my aging Micro mega for cd play back? I allso want it for sacd and DTS cd play back.

I would prefer just one disc spinner.

What would be the best way to hook it up for cd playback ie can im use the on board Sabre dacs and prologic 2 on the Oppo feeding the Arcam via multichannel outs?

Many thanks in advance for any views

Ric

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
ric71 said:
I need a blu ray player and was considering the Oppo 95. Would this be an improvement over my aging Micro mega for cd play back? I allso want it for sacd and DTS cd play back.

To be honest Ric, I’m not understanding the question.

As the Micromega is a transport, and doesn’t have a DAC, how can you compare that to the Oppo 95 which does? Or are we talking about the resultant output from your Arcam after the Micromega has fed it the bits…. Or are you asking about the quality of transport in the Oppo compared to the Micromega? Really not to sure what the question is?

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if my question was not clear.I am refering to the end result.I know the Micro mega is a transport but if I replaced it with the Oppo would the end result be better,the same or a step down in sq for cd listening.
I only ask as I would prefer one box that plays all and the Micro mega is so old now or should I keep the micro mega and spend less on a blu ray and use it for movies only?
Thanks again

A

Anonymous

Assuming you're using digtal out, it would be identical unless there is something wrong with the digital output of your player.

None of the sources I use into my Yamaha RXV667 sound any different... PS3, squeezebox, DVD player. All, identical (or at least in the confines of my hearing).

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Trousertrumpet said:
Assuming you're using digtal out, it would be identical unless there is something wrong with the digital output of your player.

None of the sources I use into my Yamaha RXV667 sound any different... PS3, squeezebox, DVD player. All, identical (or at least in the confines of my hearing).

Agreed... And my experience also! And naturally Ric, if you intend to use the Oppo's internal DAC's, you'll get a different sound. If that is your intention, you will have to audition and decide whether that suits.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts