Question Where to get tech support regarding TT Asynchronous AC Motors 50hz/ 60hz frequency.

Arsenio Erico

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site
Hi! I would like to ask you if you know of a forum or website where I could ask about power technical things.
I would like to get a turntable that operates at 120v AC at 60hz and in my country we use 220v at 50Hz, since it's belt drive, that would make it spin slower. My doubt is regarding the "asynchronous motor" because I read somewhere that maybe the frequency difference won't affect it since it's not a "synchronous motor". I want to make sure about this before spending 1200US$. :cautious:
The TT is a Marantz TT15S1.
Thank you!

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Hi! I would like to ask you if you know of a forum or website where I could ask about power technical things.
I would like to get a turntable that operates at 120v AC at 60hz and in my country we use 220v at 50Hz, since it's belt drive, that would make it spin slower. My doubt is regarding the "asynchronous motor" because I read somewhere that maybe the frequency difference won't affect it since it's not a "synchronous motor". I want to make sure about this before spending 1200US$. :cautious:
The TT is a Marantz TT15S1.
Thank you!
i have a turntable with those specifications and only bought ,this in early 80´s a transformer that i ´ve been using since then ,electronic apreciation says that 60 hz is not usable, with a 50hz source but i´ve never had a problem and the turntable spins at perfect speed,it´s a 1974 pioneer bought in japan around 74 from a ES system that was composed by a stereo receiver that frequencies in FM are not the same in this part of the world but i could hear all police comunications and only one radio station but the most complete in content also a pair of pioneer speakers, still today works perfect and sounds very good with some maintenance ,the regular one ,like change some belts and stylus in the turntable ,also new condensators(not shure if it´s the correct name in english, i´m portuguese) for the amplifier section, but i wouldn´t spend that amount in a turntable with incorrect voltage for Europe ,regards

Reactions: Arsenio Erico

Arsenio Erico

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site
i have a turntable with those specifications and only bought ,this in early 80´s a transformer that i ´ve been using since then ,electronic apreciation says that 60 hz is not usable, with a 50hz source but i´ve never had a problem and the turntable spins at perfect speed,it´s a 1974 pioneer bought in japan around 74 from a ES system that was composed by a stereo receiver that frequencies in FM are not the same in this part of the world but i could hear all police comunications and only one radio station but the most complete in content also a pair of pioneer speakers, still today works perfect and sounds very good with some maintenance ,the regular one ,like change some belts and stylus in the turntable ,also new condensators(not shure if it´s the correct name in english, i´m portuguese) for the amplifier section, but i wouldn´t spend that amount in a turntable with incorrect voltage for Europe ,regards
Thanks for your reply Rui! Muito obridago!
Your comment gives me some hope! I really have only read very few posts in different forums but never a very serious explanation about the 50hz 60hz incompatibility.
I've sent Marantz and Clear Audio an email and am still waiting for their reply.
If they don't reply I don't think I will take the risk of spending 1200$ on something I don't know if it will work. The store wouldn't accept any returns either since the product itself isn't defective.

Thanks a lot for the info!!!

Reactions: Rui

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Rui. Do you know if your TT is AC or DC powered? Is it belt drive or Direct drive? That could help me figure this out a bit more. Tks
Rui. Do you know if your TT is AC or DC powered? Is it belt drive or Direct drive? That could help me figure this out a bit more. Tks
i´m using dc ,don´t know if it´s standart but the sockets today deliver dc ,but not always before we even had to by a device (like the UPS´s)that i don´t know how to call it in english but to avoid Ac tension picks ,but because it ´s powered by a transformer who mantains the same current always is dc and this turntable is a belt-drive ,wich is fashion now ,one have to change the belt with the hands from 33rpm to 45 rpm not a mechanical system more evolved they say ,don´t know if it helps . Regards and health

P.S.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8EhseTLUWQ

, this is what came from japan in 74,this one is from canada

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Not sure what the OP has found out.
But an answer from an electrician.

Asynchronous motors seem a strange thing to put in an LP player.
But either way, unless there is something not being said regarding the motor, it shouldn't make a difference. The frequency is the frequency, so the LP player will run slower.
A normal asynchronous motor can't change that fact.

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Not sure what the OP has found out.
But an answer from an electrician.

Asynchronous motors seem a strange thing to put in an LP player.
But either way, unless there is something not being said regarding the motor, it shouldn't make a difference. The frequency is the frequency, so the LP player will run slower.
A normal asynchronous motor can't change that fact.
i have not that problem and the conversor if not a litle one like celular phone charger will provide correct frequency in what concerns to power suplied to the TT, in english is very dificult to me to talk about technical matters, but as i said before a proper voltage conversor will not afect the speed of the motor will not play slower in this matter the reverse could happen without a propper transformer, but as i said previously to spend that kind of money in a 110 volts 60hz device .i would look for a 220v 50hz TT ,there are many being sold, the one i have was a matter of needing one in africa but till today works properly with a good current conversor it´s from mid 70´s and weights around 15 kg, regards

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
i have not that problem and the conversor if not a litle one like celular phone charger will provide correct frequency in what concerns to power suplied to the TT, in english is very dificult to me to talk about technical matters, but as i said before a proper voltage conversor will not afect the speed of the motor will not play slower in this matter the reverse could happen without a propper transformer, but as i said previously to spend that kind of money in a 110 volts 60hz device .i would look for a 220v 50hz TT ,there are many being sold, the one i have was a matter of needing one in africa but till today works properly with a good current conversor it´s from mid 70´s and weights around 15 kg, regards
But you seem to be talking about altering the voltage and frequency before the TT.

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
But you seem to be talking about altering the voltage and frequency before the TT.
i was just saying that if you buy a 110v TT ,you have to buy also a good voltage converter ,that doesn´t becomes hot to fast ,but if you could get a TT (220v/50hz)in second hand , a good one ,there are a lot to choose from depending on the money you´re thinking to spend, this new ones seem very frail and expensive. Regards and health

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts