Where has my sound gone!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
After being told by the boss that my speakers need to be moved, I soon realised that my Chord Epic cables were longer than they needed to be and it was time for a tweak. Reading a few reviews and comments on here, I looked at the Tellurium Q Black speaker cable. This also had me thinking that maybe my Chord Signet interconnect could be downgraded to save a few quid. A plan! Sell the Signet and look for a bargain, decent interconnect as substitute. The Epics could be sold after the Q Black arrives. A saving of a couple of hundred quid without changing my sound too much and you never know, I might like it better. Well, I sold the Signet for a decent price and have won a Merlin Verdi on ebay for £75 delivered. It's the mark iv version currently selling for £200 so bargain! In the mean time, I need an interconnect to do the business as I'm packaging the Signet off. So, I called in to RS London Bridge on my way home and bought a £9.99 special from CA. Just swapped over from rrp £500 cable to £9.99 cable and, YES, a massive drop in sound quality. Timing the main problem, everything sounds like it's catching up. Now I am worried I've made a massive boo boo and not realised what an excellent cable I've just sold!

I will add more when I have the new combo in action if anyone is interested.

Gerrard, sir, I'd wait until the Verdis turn up. It shouldn't take any more than 3-4 working days, then you can gloat about the Merlins.

I've just chucked out some Cambridge Studio Reference interconnects - and they are (were) darn good for £34.00. If I'd known, no good now, but you could've taken them off me.

Keep us informed on how the Verdis sound; had looked at them for my bundles.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Gerrard, sir, I'd wait until the Verdis turn up. It shouldn't take any more than 3-4 working days, then you can gloat about the Merlins.

I've just chucked out some Cambridge Studio Reference interconnects - and they are (were) darn good for £34.00. If I'd known, no good now, but you could've taken them off me.

Keep us informed on how the Verdis sound; had looked at them for my bundles.

Cheers PP. it's not like I was expecting that much from the CA cables but after reading a lot of "cables make no difference" posts, I was slightly intrigued to hear if placebo had fooled me for a few years. It was very clear straight away that I have become used to good cables and it showed me what difference they can make. Looking forward to the Q Black cables arriving. I plumped for them after reading a couple of reviews where they kicked Chord Epic to the curb!

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Gerrard, I will be interested in your comments too.

I am also thinking of getting the T Q Black over the Epic. And also heard about some user's comment on how good it is.

Currently using the Carnival Silverscreen.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
cstanwhf said:
Hi Gerrard, I will be interested in your comments too.

I am also thinking of getting the T Q Black over the Epic. And also heard about some user's comment on how good it is.

Currently using the Carnival Silverscreen.

What's the rest of your set up? The Epic is fantastic and will be a big step up from what you have. Part of my decision is because the Epic is so thick; I'm moving my speakers closer together and the Epic is hard to curl up!

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Gerrard,

Currently using the Audiolab 8200CDQ and 8200A. Speakers are the Monitor Audio GX100. :oops:

The Epic Twin are a few £ lesser than the TQ Black per meter.

Might as well go for the TQ Black then.

It's a bonus that the TQ Black are much more flexible than the Carnival Silverscreen as well.

iceman16

Hi Gerrard,

The Chord epic is an excellent cable. I've used the super twin for about a year with Naim but whe I tried the Tellurium black I was surprised and did'nt realised that my system would sound a lot better.The Tellurium black sounds more detailed,fast and very clean in presentation without being bright or harsh. Bass is tight and well controlled and the mid is just sublime. And the best thing I liked about TQ is the better and more space between instrument being played. BTW I'm not in anyway connected to the company, it's just that I've found something that makes my foot tapping a bit harder.:dance:

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Hold on though - have you moved the speakers as well? Few too many variables going on here if that's the case...

Was that question to me John? Yes, I moved my speakers but did so a couple of weeks ago. I've found that the Mozarts aren't fussy where they stand.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Hi Gerrard,

The Chord epic is an excellent cable. I've used the super twin for about a year with Naim but whe I tried the Tellurium black I was surprised and did'nt realised that my system would sound a lot better.The Tellurium black sounds more detailed,fast and very clean in presentation without being bright or harsh. Bass is tight and well controlled and the mid is just sublime. And the best thing I liked about TQ is the better and more space between instrument being played. BTW I'm not in anyway connected to the company, it's just that I've found something that makes my foot tapping a bit harder.:dance:

Thanks Ice. I've read your posts before and noted that you had Epics as well. I'm not so worried about the Telluriums but my Signet might end up being untouchable.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Gerrardasnails said:
Thanks Ice. I've read your posts before and noted that you had Epics as well. I'm not so worried about the Telluriums but my Signet might end up being untouchable.

Hi Gerrard, if the TQ Blacks prove to be as good as I think they'll be, don't rule out the matching i/c.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Gerrardasnails said:

Hi Gerrard, if the TQ Blacks prove to be as good as I think they'll be, don't rule out the matching i/c.

That's the plan Cno. I've clawed back £200 swapping the Signet for the Verdi, if the new speaker cable impresses, I'll try the matching interconnect.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Gerrardasnails said:
That's the plan Cno. I've clawed back £200 swapping the Signet for the Verdi, if the new speaker cable impresses, I'll try the matching interconnect.

I might even suggest, that with the TQ I/Cs in situ, you won't miss the Signet.....but I won't, as that would be foolhardy. :)

Triggy

Jan 24, 2005
Visit site
I changed from Epic and Chord Chorus 2 interconnect to Tellurium Q Black cable and matching interconnect!

No regrets at all! Much more detail. Go for it!

A

Anonymous

I have just sold my v-dac2 /v-psu 2, using the line in jack on the pc it sound's ok i guess, buying a new dac next week, happy day's, missing the sound my system used to make but i needed to raise the cash for my new dac, a worthwhile sacrafice!

T

the record spot

I found the exact opposite; when I swapped some Atlas Navigators (£225) out and put my cheapo ones in, the sound lost some of the bloat the Navigators had brought. Much better for my tastes. £7.99 for 2m.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts