where do you get your hi-res music files?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
when hmv opened their downloads store I have asked them about higher rez. the reply I got was - we are talking to record companies about flac.

time will show. my money is waiting.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750:shooter69:SteveR750:
Problem I have is using s/pdif and supporting anything more than 16 bit / 48K......

Hmm, SPDIF supports 24/96.All drivers up to date? (PC & DAC)WASAPI settings?If these are all good try DacMagic or WASAPI Support.

In that case I'm relieved. I was under the impression s/pdif wasn't able to transmit 24/96! OK, I don't have any HD tracks..yet.

SPDIF and Toslink support 24/96 on the DACmagic. USB supports 16/48 but will need all up to date drivers (CM108) installed to run with W7.

A

Anonymous

AlmaataKZ:
when hmv opened their downloads store I have asked them about higher rez. the reply I got was - we are talking to record companies about flac.

time will show. my money is waiting.

Well at least that sounds vaguley promising....

My money is waiting also.

SteveR750

shooter69:SteveR750:shooter69:SteveR750:
Problem I have is using s/pdif and supporting anything more than 16 bit / 48K......

Hmm, SPDIF supports 24/96.All drivers up to date? (PC & DAC)WASAPI settings?If these are all good try DacMagic or WASAPI Support.

In that case I'm relieved. I was under the impression s/pdif wasn't able to transmit 24/96! OK, I don't have any HD tracks..yet.

SPDIF and Toslink support 24/96 on the DACmagic. USB supports 16/48 but will need all up to date drivers (CM108) installed to run with W7.

Ah, the DACmagic is limited to 16/48 on USB input....I assumed all DACs were USB 24/96 compatible.

" SPDIF is a stone age protocol, the signal is digital, the time base is analogue and therefore sensitive to disturbances in the analogue domain."

Not my words by the way.... <groan>

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750:shooter69:SteveR750:shooter69:SteveR750:

Ah, the DACmagic is limited to 16/48 on USB input....I assumed all DACs were USB 24/96 compatible.

" SPDIF is a stone age protocol, the signal is digital, the time base is analogue and therefore sensitive to disturbances in the analogue domain."

Not my words by the way.... <groan>

That's why I have a Wyred-4-Sound DAC-2 which re-clocks and has excellent jitter rejection...

Also takes 24/192 on USB and SPDIF coax. Truth be told, though, I can't hear the difference between well recorded 24/96 versus 24/192 - I suspect the latter is more marketing... There is a very apparent difference between 16/44 and 24/96 - the latter makes the former sound a little "flat"...

SteveR750

Have been playing a couple of 24/96 tracks I d/loaded from HD Tracks. Very impressive too. J River and the DACmagic seems to be doing a good job of the files (the 96k LED is lit when playing them so at least the streaming rate is as it should be)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts