where do you get your hi-res music files?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
when hmv opened their downloads store I have asked them about higher rez. the reply I got was - we are talking to record companies about flac.

time will show. my money is waiting.

shooter

May 4, 2008
SteveR750:shooter69:SteveR750:
Problem I have is using s/pdif and supporting anything more than 16 bit / 48K......

Hmm, SPDIF supports 24/96.All drivers up to date? (PC & DAC)WASAPI settings?If these are all good try DacMagic or WASAPI Support.

In that case I'm relieved. I was under the impression s/pdif wasn't able to transmit 24/96! OK, I don't have any HD tracks..yet.

SPDIF and Toslink support 24/96 on the DACmagic. USB supports 16/48 but will need all up to date drivers (CM108) installed to run with W7.

A

Anonymous

AlmaataKZ:
when hmv opened their downloads store I have asked them about higher rez. the reply I got was - we are talking to record companies about flac.

time will show. my money is waiting.

Well at least that sounds vaguley promising....

My money is waiting also.

SteveR750

Mar 11, 2005
shooter69:SteveR750:shooter69:SteveR750:
Problem I have is using s/pdif and supporting anything more than 16 bit / 48K......

Hmm, SPDIF supports 24/96.All drivers up to date? (PC & DAC)WASAPI settings?If these are all good try DacMagic or WASAPI Support.

In that case I'm relieved. I was under the impression s/pdif wasn't able to transmit 24/96! OK, I don't have any HD tracks..yet.

SPDIF and Toslink support 24/96 on the DACmagic. USB supports 16/48 but will need all up to date drivers (CM108) installed to run with W7.

Ah, the DACmagic is limited to 16/48 on USB input....I assumed all DACs were USB 24/96 compatible.

" SPDIF is a stone age protocol, the signal is digital, the time base is analogue and therefore sensitive to disturbances in the analogue domain."

Not my words by the way.... <groan>

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
SteveR750:shooter69:SteveR750:shooter69:SteveR750:

Ah, the DACmagic is limited to 16/48 on USB input....I assumed all DACs were USB 24/96 compatible.

" SPDIF is a stone age protocol, the signal is digital, the time base is analogue and therefore sensitive to disturbances in the analogue domain."

Not my words by the way.... <groan>

That's why I have a Wyred-4-Sound DAC-2 which re-clocks and has excellent jitter rejection...

Also takes 24/192 on USB and SPDIF coax. Truth be told, though, I can't hear the difference between well recorded 24/96 versus 24/192 - I suspect the latter is more marketing... There is a very apparent difference between 16/44 and 24/96 - the latter makes the former sound a little "flat"...

SteveR750

Mar 11, 2005
Have been playing a couple of 24/96 tracks I d/loaded from HD Tracks. Very impressive too. J River and the DACmagic seems to be doing a good job of the files (the 96k LED is lit when playing them so at least the streaming rate is as it should be)

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts