Where can I get a bunny ear headset?

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
While listening to my home hifi system, I noticed that placing my hands behind my ears thereby increasing the sound collecting area significantly improved the sound quality. Doubtless this is because I was eliminating the reflections from the wall behind me. The result was a very taught bass, mid range and treble. The result was on a par with the sound from headphones, in fact somewhat better due to the improved sound stage etc. Okay,now I could make some bunny ears to wear, but I'd rather have something of audiophile quality. So what do people recommend? I would rather have ones that reduce jitter, and which are impedance matched to the hifi. Preferably very expensive so they are really good.

Incidentally, there is actually a serious point to this question. The improvement in sound quality was very real, due to ameliorating poor room acoustics. So, what practical and reasonable ways are there of improving the room acoustics as effectively as 'bunny ears'? No doubt I am not the only one who has poor room acoustics, I bet most of us do.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Leif said:
While listening to my home hifi system, I noticed that placing my hands behind my ears thereby increasing the sound collecting area significantly improved the sound quality. Doubtless this is because I was eliminating the reflections from the wall behind me. The result was a very taught bass, mid range and treble. The result was on a par with the sound from headphones, in fact somewhat better due to the improved sound stage etc. Okay,now I could make some bunny ears to wear, but I'd rather have something of audiophile quality. So what do people recommend? I would rather have ones that reduce jitter, and which are impedance matched to the hifi. Preferably very expensive so they are really good.

Incidentally, there is actually a serious point to this question. The improvement in sound quality was very real, due to ameliorating poor room acoustics. So, what practical and reasonable ways are there of improving the room acoustics as effectively as 'bunny ears'? No doubt I am not the only one who has poor room acoustics, I bet most of us do.

can you post a picture of your room so we can see what it looks like. I really don't think it's your room. If you have it set up reasonably and most people's rooms are a compromise, but this doesn't normally stop good sounding speakers sound good. I heard some systems in Bristol sound great in a tiny hotel room and it's not as if your speakers are huge bass monsters (I'm not criticising them as I've owned similar as you know), just they are relatively small speakers.

As ive said to you before, the easiest way is to use a leaner amplifier with punchier bass, so that you take out any possible bass reflections that your amp 'may' be giving and tighten things up. Arcam is typically a rich bass sound. So are pmc, so it could be too much comparative to another system. How are you mounting the pmc twenty 21s (are they on pmc stands) and what speaker cables are you using? Where are your pmc's in the room. Have you tried cheap bass lighter cables?

Please enlighten us with pics and info so we can try and sort this for you, once and for all. I am genuinely trying to help you.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
If you put your hands up to your ears and cup them to extend the size of you outer ear all you are doing is collecting more sound and reflecting it into your ears which increases the amount of vibrating air fed to you inner ear to process.

It is a similar effect to putting a hearing aid trumpet to you ear to increase volume.

I am always slightly envious of people with large sticky out ears they have a massive advantage when listening .

I am sure you could construct some out of an old cornflake packet an elastic band and some sticky backed plastic .*good*

listening-device-big-ears1_zpsedad7mbq.jpg

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Electro said:
If you put your hands up to your ears and cup them to extend the size of you outer ear all you are doing is collecting more sound and reflecting it into your ears which increases the amount of vibrating air fed to you inner ear to process.

It is a similar effect to putting a hearing aid trumpet to you ear to increase volume.

I am always slightly envious of people with large sticky out ears they have a massive advantage when listening .

I am sure you could construct some out of an old cornflake packet an elastic band and some sticky backed plastic .*good*

id totally agree with that with the ear lobes thing which makes a lot of sense. It tells me that his hi fi is still boomy to his taste, and if the music is listened too at ok levels in a small room I think it points to a gradual mismatch and dis-liking to an amplifier, having recently changed his speakers from monitor audios around £500 to pmc twenty 21 (originally about £1600 I think)

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Electro said:

What an amazing device, I want one. I will be the envy of the audiophile world.

Incidentally, there are several ways that such a device works. It does as I stated increase the sound collecting area. But it also increases the directionality, allowing the user to isolate from where the sound originates. And lastly it eliminates sound from the sides, and behind, thereby increasing the sound quality by removing unwanted sounds.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Leif said:

can you post a picture of your room so we can see what it looks like. I really don't think it's your room. If you have it set up reasonably and most people's rooms are a compromise, but this doesn't normally stop good sounding speakers sound good. I heard some systems in Bristol sound great in a tiny hotel room and it's not as if your speakers are huge bass monsters (I'm not criticising them as I've owned similar as you know), just they are relatively small speakers.

As ive said to you before, the easiest way is to use a leaner amplifier with punchier bass, so that you take out any possible bass reflections that your amp 'may' be giving and tighten things up. Arcam is typically a rich bass sound. So are pmc, so it could be too much comparative to another system. How are you mounting the pmc twenty 21s (are they on pmc stands) and what speaker cables are you using? Where are your pmc's in the room. Have you tried cheap bass lighter cables?

Please enlighten us with pics and info so we can try and sort this for you, once and for all. I am genuinely trying to help you.

I was wondering whether or not to reply to your trolling, and decided I would.

Firstly, you say that "Arcam is typically a rich bass sound". I have absolutely no idea what that means. The term 'rich' is so vague as to me meaningless. Measurements of the previous version of the Arcam Solo music which came out ten years ago show that it has a very uniform frequency response:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/arcam-solo-cd-receiver-measurements

One might expect the latest versions to be improved.

You say "what speaker cables are you using?". I am using good ones. I'm not humouring your speaker cable nonsense, you've been given goodness how many links that disprove that guff.

You say "the easiest way is to use a leaner amplifier with punchier bass". Here we go again, back onto your obsession, that my amplifier (which I have recently bought) is mediocre, and I should buy one you prefer. You used to regularly suggest the Cyrus One or Quad Vena.

"I am genuinely trying to help you. "

No you're not. You are continuing the same old monomaniacal obsession, namely that you hate the system I have bought - because it does not appeal to your snobbery - and you are going all out to tell me that it is mediocre. And to make matters worse, you have not even heard my system. So quite how you can continually makre derogatory remarks about it is beyond me. I came to the conclusion from your posts on the HiFiWigwam web site that you a rather unpleasant person. Incidentally, you attacked people here and on HFW as being equipment snobs and old bores. I posted questions on HFW and got lots of help from all but one person. That exception was you. The others were helpful, and did not look down on me even though my equipment is modest compared to theirs. The exception was you.

Anyway, back to my original post. It was somewhat tongue in cheek, but it had a serious point. All rooms have acoustics, and it is well known that some concert halls are better than others. A sitting room is no different. In my case I get some resonances, which are nothing to do with the amplifier, although some fools think they are. A resonance is a standing wave, it can occur when there are two parallel walls whose separation matches a multiple of the wavelength of a sound from a music system. With my current speakers, PMC twenty.21, the resonances are minor and I can live with them. For example, if I place my chair back against the wall, some bass notes are exaggerated. If I move forward a bit, they calm down. Otherwise the PMC speakers provide a very tight sound.

The PMC speakers are a recnt purchase and when looking for new speakers, I listened to several models in a shop's demo room. In one demo room there were acoustic tiles on the walls. In all cases the sofa was well away from the walls. And usually the speakers were also placed well away from the walls. That is why I did not discover the issue with Monitor Audio Silver 1 speakers when I demoed them. The resonances from these speakers when placed in my room were awful. I had to place them almost in the middle of the room, as they are rear ported, and placing them less than 1m from a wall caused awful sound. The bass was also not very tight. It surprises me that 'audiophiles' spend so much time talking about very expensive amplifiers, and even cables, but rarely mention room acoustics. Then again, for some 'audiophiles' it does seem to be all about the equipment and not the music.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Pedro said:
I also would like one, provided it's expensive and has an exotic name.

You are clearly a very wise man, and a lover of fine sound. Perhaps we should choose a name, and a required price (at least £2,000 I suggest), and then get some companies to tender for the contract, indicating which expensive materials and fancy machining they will use to reach the required price, thereby ensuring the desired sound quality.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Leif said:
Leif said:

Firstly, you say that "Arcam is typically a rich bass sound". I have absolutely no idea what that means. The term 'rich' is so vague as to me meaningless. Measurements of the previous version of the Arcam Solo music which came out ten years ago show that it has a very uniform frequency response:

You say "what speaker cables are you using?". I am using good ones. I'm not humouring your speaker cable nonsense, you've been given goodness how many links that disprove that guff.

You say "the easiest way is to use a leaner amplifier with punchier bass". Here we go again, back onto your obsession, that my amplifier (which I have recently bought) is mediocre, and I should buy one you prefer. You used to regularly suggest the Cyrus One or Quad Vena.

No you're not. You are continuing the same old monomaniacal obsession, namely that you hate the system I have bought - because it does not appeal to your snobbery - and you are going all out to tell me that it is mediocre. And to make matters worse, you have not even heard my system. So quite how you can continually makre derogatory remarks about it is beyond me. I came to the conclusion from your posts on the HiFiWigwam web site that you a rather unpleasant person. Incidentally, you attacked people here and on HFW as being equipment snobs and old bores. I posted questions on HFW and got lots of help from all but one person. That exception was you. The others were helpful, and did not look down on me even though my equipment is modest compared to theirs. The exception was you.

Anyway, back to my original post. It was somewhat tongue in cheek, but it had a serious point. All rooms have acoustics, and it is well known that some concert halls are better than others. A sitting room is no different. In my case I get some resonances, which are nothing to do with the amplifier, although some fools think they are. A resonance is a standing wave, it can occur when there are two parallel walls whose separation matches a multiple of the wavelength of a sound from a music system. With my current speakers, PMC twenty.21, the resonances are minor and I can live with them. For example, if I place my chair back against the wall, some bass notes are exaggerated. If I move forward a bit, they calm down. Otherwise the PMC speakers provide a very tight sound.

The PMC speakers are a recnt purchase and when looking for new speakers, I listened to several models in a shop's demo room. In one demo room there were acoustic tiles on the walls. In all cases the sofa was well away from the walls. And usually the speakers were also placed well away from the walls. That is why I did not discover the issue with Monitor Audio Silver 1 speakers when I demoed them. The resonances from these speakers when placed in my room were awful. I had to place them almost in the middle of the room, as they are rear ported, and placing them less than 1m from a wall caused awful sound. The bass was also not very tight. It surprises me that 'audiophiles' spend so much time talking about very expensive amplifiers, and even cables, but rarely mention room acoustics. Then again, for some 'audiophiles' it does seem to be all about the equipment and not the music.

your amp may be the problem, and I've had similar amps where I wasn't happy, only to be pleased on a change. I really do think this thing that you think I'm saying that your amp is a piece of crap, is all in your mind. It may be against others systems, but that's true of all systems. What's so hard to admit that. I'd really urge you to get out of the box of thinking like this for your benefit of finding the right system

and if you don't want to hear my honest opinion that I think your amp is letting things down, I'm not going to bs you and beat around the bush. And as to getting personal about it, I don't even know you. You could be a total tos-er or a really nice guy. But I get the impression you are somewhat embittered about someone being honest, and I did spend ages on that forum trying to help you, that's why you got my back up too with what I thought an angry and rather aggressive outburst about what you thought I was saying about your amplifier. I kept making the point I thought your amp was the issue as I thought the previous speakers you had decent which I heard. You know too I've owned the same drivers in your speakers but in a floorstanders, so I come at it from quite a bit of prior experience.

it doesn't surprise me your pmc's give less boom, as they are tighter on bass. But arcam is a bass rich sound over tonally leaner amps like Cyrus which I know well, also some other brands too. That's why I recommended the Cyrus one, but wasn't just recommending own stuff, but a leaner sounding amplifier paired with the pmc's, would get you a system to suit your room. But please post pictures and let's see what's going on, as it could be something else too.

Your impression about it all being about the system is unfounded I think. What are you actually trying to achieve?

but the fact you want to keep defending yourself and not just let bygones be bygones, isnt really helping you mate.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Leif said:

I completely agree with you. Room acoustics are extremely important. Of course we live in real houses and not recording studios or anechoic chambers, but that doesn't mean we should overlook acoustics. There are plenty of absorption methods for mids-high freq. Taming bass is much more difficult and sometimes require professional bass traps, because sound waves are much longer and can even go through walls.

For some odd reason (or not) some hifi mags prefer to cover the subject of esoteric accessories, like magical RCA cables hand made by unicorns and vestals and whatnot.

Last year I attended a hifi demo in a shop which was my first and last. When you see power conditioners costing 6k (euros) and people talking about how their speaker cables are directional you suspect LSD is making a comeback.

Blind leading the blind. Or deaf leading the deaf.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

But I'd at least try a different speaker cable. If using thick gauge copper or just copper you'll get lots of bass, but maybe trying a silver coated copper or silver speaker cable, that will reign bass in a bit. But I did suggest that but unfortunately op not willing to try, if only no obligation cable try.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Pedro said:
Leif said:

I completely agree with you. Room acoustics are extremely important. Of course we live in real houses and not recording studios or anechoic chambers, but that doesn't mean we should overlook acoustics. There are plenty of absorption methods for mids-high freq. Taming bass is much more difficult and sometimes require professional bass traps, because sound waves are much longer and can even go through walls.

For some odd reason (or not) some hifi mags prefer to cover the subject of esoteric accessories, like magical RCA cables hand made by unicorns and vestals and whatnot.

Last year I attended a hifi demo in a shop which was my first and last. When you see power conditioners costing 6k (euros) and people talking about how their speaker cables are directional you suspect LSD is making a comeback.

Blind leading the blind. Or deaf leading the deaf.

I am surely saying the blindingly obvious when I say that the goal of most if not all magazines is to please their advertisers by whipping the readers into a frenzy of gear lust, and encouraging them to rush off to visit certain establishments to purchase cables and other items that will allow them to satiate their unnatural desires.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

There is no getting away from the fact the reason these power conditioners etc cost, is because the market is small, so the price is high. We all see that whatever we have bought as it's all relative. This thing to look at is, does it do its job. If it does and worth it, you buy it. If not you don't, and that's it.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
A note for the poor person who wanders into this thread. A month or so ago I spent about £1,000 on an Arcam Solo Movie. I was using some Monitor Audio Silver 1 speakers bought a few years earlier but they were producing too much bass (boomy) unless I moved them 1m from the wall so I asked on HiFiWigwam for suggestions for alternative speakers. 13th Note (under a different user name) repeatedly told me that my amp was mediocre, equivalent to a £200-300 amp, it was the cause the of the boominess and I should sell it and buy a Cyrus One or Quad Vena amp. He has told me that I need better electronics, and that the new speakers (PMC twenty.21) are too good for such mediocre electronics.

13th Note has never listened to the Arcam Solo Music/Movie, and ignores the fact that I want a CD player and DAB, and I do not like lots of boxes and cables.

The Arcam/PMC combination produces a nice sound. I do get slight boominess if I sit too close to the wall due to standing waves, which I cure by moving away from it. Acoustics are a feature of most of our listening spaces. Few of us have the wherewithall to construct a proper listening room. I auditioned many speakers, and the sound was very different depending on the listening space, as I tried several in an open shop, in their demo room, and back home.

Leif said:
Leif said:

As ive said to you before, the easiest way is to use a leaner amplifier with punchier bass, so that you take out any possible bass reflections that your amp 'may' be giving and tighten things up. Arcam is typically a rich bass sound.

So are pmc, so it could be too much comparative to another system. How are you mounting the pmc twenty 21s (are they on pmc stands) and what speaker cables are you using? Where are your pmc's in the room. Have you tried cheap bass lighter cables?

your amp may be the problem, and I've had similar amps where I wasn't happy, only to be pleased on a change. I really do think this thing that you think I'm saying that your amp is a piece of crap, is all in your mind. It may be against others systems, but that's true of all systems. What's so hard to admit that. I'd really urge you to get out of the box of thinking like this for your benefit of finding the right system

and if you don't want to hear my honest opinion that I think your amp is letting things down, I'm not going to bs you and beat around the bush.

Given that you have never ever heard an Arcam Solo Music/Movie, no I don't want to hear your opinion. It has no value.

And as to getting personal about it, I don't even know you. You could be a total tos-er or a really nice guy. But I get the impression you are somewhat embittered about someone being honest, and I did spend ages on that forum trying to help you, that's why you got my back up too with what I thought an angry and rather aggressive outburst about what you thought I was saying about your amplifier. I kept making the point I thought your amp was the issue as I thought the previous speakers you had decent which I heard. You know too I've owned the same drivers in your speakers but in a floorstanders, so I come at it from quite a bit of prior experience.

Your constant posts telling me that my Arcam is mediocre, and instructing me to sell it are getting on my nerves. You are deliberately trolling to cause offence.

it doesn't surprise me your pmc's give less boom, as they are tighter on bass. But arcam is a bass rich sound over tonally leaner amps like Cyrus which I know well,

This is a review of the previous (10 year earlier) Arcam Solo:

Measurements show that it has a relatively flat frequency response without an exaggerated bass.

Here is a review of the Cyrus cv6s amplifer:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/cyrus-6vs-integrated-amplifier-measurements

Measurements show that it has a relatively flat frequency response without an exaggerated bass.

So much for your opinions.

And you have not even heard the Arcam Solo Music/Movie. *crazy*

also some other brands too. That's why I recommended the Cyrus one, but wasn't just recommending own stuff, but a leaner sounding amplifier paired with the pmc's, would get you a system to suit your room. But please post pictures and let's see what's going on, as it could be something else too.

Your impression about it all being about the system is unfounded I think. What are you actually trying to achieve?

but the fact you want to keep defending yourself and not just let bygones be bygones, isnt really helping you mate.

You posted in this thread instructing me yet again to sell my amplifier which you have never even heard. *crazy*

I do not give a damn what you think.

You have a personality disorder and I suggest you get professional help.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Leif, so if you get a slight boominess, why don't you provide us with a detailed description of your room. Dimensions of the room, speaker placement in terms of distances from the back and side walls, your seating position, and a full description of the room itself ie whats in it that will affect the accoustics. Then maybe others can give you some suggestions, someone may have had a similar set up (room) and similar issues.

'The Arcam/PMC combination produces a nice sound. I do get slight boominess if I sit too close to the wall due to standing waves, which I cure by moving away from it'.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
Hi Leif, so if you get a slight boominess, why don't you provide us with a detailed description of your room. Dimensions of the room, speaker placement in terms of distances from the back and side walls, your seating position, and a full description of the room itself ie whats in it that will affect the accoustics. Then maybe others can give you some suggestions, someone may have had a similar set up (room) and similar issues.

'The Arcam/PMC combination produces a nice sound. I do get slight boominess if I sit too close to the wall due to standing waves, which I cure by moving away from it'.

There is no problem. I did have a huge problem with the MA Silver 1 speakers, due to an exaggerated bass. The problem went away as a result of replacing the speakers with PMC twenty.21 speakers, no doubt because they have a reduced and more articulate bass, and they are not rear ported. However, 13th Note's constant nonsense is wearing me down.

The 'boominess' I mentioned earlier is a slightly exaggerated bass note and only occurs with some recordings (always with a bass guitar, presumably they hit that note) which is cured by moving away from the rear wall. If you know what a standing wave (or a resonance) is, you'll know what I mean, and that it is a feature of a room.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Leif said:
jonathanRD said:

To be honest the constant "sell your mediocre hifi" posts from 13th Note have worn me down, and I really do not have patience for this anymore. Suffice to say the 'boominess' is a slightly exaggerated bass note around a low frequency and only with some lower dynamic range recordings which is cured by moving away from the rear wall. If you know what a standing wave (or a resonance) is, you'll know what I mean, and that it is a feature of a room.

Thankfully, I don't suffer from any accoustic issues in my room, or my ears are carp *smile*

I just wanted to be helpful without alluding to a situation I would simply ignore - and I don't mean your standing waves.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
back wall and the speakers firing down the longer wall. It used to cause boom and also discomfort at higher volumes. I have now passed all bass notes below 80hz to the sub, and placed it under my listening position. This has improved the sound remarkably well. Just my 2 cents

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

There really isnt any alternative, assuming he has done the obvious thing of changing things around in the room, of either a different amp which is a bit leaner, or making tweaks with speaker cables.

But to say I have a personality disorder is offensive. This guy comes accross as an aggressive and unintelligent man, in so far as his views of others, he doesnt even know. He is saying he wont take advice from people who dont have an Arcam Solo. So how will he resolve it, if people dont have that speaker/Arcam Solo combo with the same room. He will keep posting multiple posts on different forums asking questions that he wont resolve, if he doenst do the obvious thing of trying different cables, or trying a different amp. But if he wants to keep going around in circles?

He goes on about measurements, as if you can work out everything from that. He was saying before that his Monitor Audios were all he needs, and he didnt think the boominess was to do with them, then when he gets the tighter better performing PMC's he states the opposite (as in his above posts)

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I posted a request for suggestions for new speakers on one forum only. Find someone else to have a fight with. *sad*

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I reckon you should post some pics of your room as others have asked, it may help work out what's going on. I reckon you should speak to fanthorpes and just borrow a specific amp, no obligation.

Can I arrange for someone to contact you to arrange some no obligation loan speaker cables to be sent to you. Please just try it.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I reckon you should post some pics of your room as others have asked, it may help work out what's going on. I reckon you should speak to fanthorpes and just borrow a specific amp, no obligation.

Can I arrange for someone to contact you to arrange some no obligation loan speaker cables to be sent to you. Please just try it.

*crazy*

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
My system manages to do without speaker cables.

Just think of all the angst I am avoiding...*good*

Are you sure you have the right sort of air between your speakers and your source?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts