Where and How Do You Store Your Vinyl

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
So I now have an expansive and growing collection of LP's (something like 130 purchased in the last 4 months).

Just wondering where and how do you guys store your vinyl......some of mine (New ones) are in a hard box with lid...but a lot of my second hand ones are just piled on top of the box.

It wont be long before the other half starts moaning about LP's lying around
smiley-surprised.gif
so I am looking for an easy way to store my LP's which is nice on the eyes and doesn't necessarily involve having two or three boxes stacked on each other or placed around the house.

Obviously would like easy access to them to flick through etc.....but as usual space is a bit of a premium :-(

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Jason36 said:
So I now have an expansive and growing collection of LP's (something like 130 purchased in the last 4 months).

Just wondering where and how do you guys store your vinyl......some of mine (New ones) are in a hard box with lid...but a lot of my second hand ones are just piled on top of the box.

smiley-surprised.gif
so I am looking for an easy way to store my LP's which is nice on the eyes and doesn't necessarily involve having two or three boxes stacked on each other or placed around the house.

Obviously would like easy access to them to flick through etc.....but as usual space is a bit of a premium :-(

Hi Jason

If you are like me and you take an anal approach then firstly get those lps into pvc sleeves (see covers33) to protect those babies!.

I'm lucky as I have taken over the bottom rung of some bookshelves which should cater for about 600 lps but there are storage cubes (iCubes) available on ebay or their own website that stack nicely on top of each other .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You used to be able to get something like a "numbered toast rack", in which you could store and catalogue them.....haven't seen one for quite some time though.

Cno

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
mitch65 said:
Jason36 said:

smiley-surprised.gif

Hi Jason

If you are like me and you take an anal approach then firstly get those lps into pvc sleeves (see covers33) to protect those babies!.

I'm lucky as I have taken over the bottom rung of some bookshelves which should cater for about 600 lps but there are storage cubes (iCubes) available on ebay or their own website that stack nicely on top of each other .

Cheers Mitch,

Was looking at some Sleaves today actually...especially after some of todays Limited Edition purchases from Record Store Day.

oooh those iCubes look good and I have just the place in mind for them :) now all I have to do is clear it with the other half
smiley-wink.gif

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Jason36 said:
mitch65 said:
Jason36 said:

smiley-surprised.gif

Hi Jason

Cheers Mitch,

Was looking at some Sleaves today actually...especially after some of todays Limited Edition purchases from Record Store Day.

oooh those iCubes look good and I have just the place in mind for them :) now all I have to do is clear it with the other half
smiley-wink.gif

Expect to pay around 20 quid delivered for 50 sleeves which is nothing compared to the protection they give to your sacred vinyl. I'll probably be investing in the cube storage at some point as I'm running out of space for my books!

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
mitch65 said:
Jason36 said:
mitch65 said:
Jason36 said:

smiley-surprised.gif

Hi Jason

Cheers Mitch,

smiley-wink.gif

Expect to pay around 20 quid delivered for 50 sleeves which is nothing compared to the protection they give to your sacred vinyl. I'll probably be investing in the cube storage at some point as I'm running out of space for my books!

Yep Small price to pay Mitch :)

Oh by the way think I just sent you a friend request on FB (well I hope it was you)
smiley-surprised.gif

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I use four large Ikea Expedits (the 4x4 and 5x5 ones). I could do with a couple more. You can also get 2x4 Expedits if you're pushed for space.

Amyl Right Mate

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Another vote for Expedits - I'm sure the IKEA designers had LP storage in mind when the come up with them.

I remember reading that the DJ Peter Kruder stopped counting how many records he owned and started counting the number of vinyl filled Expedits he had instead.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
78 to 88 per cube depending on how many are gatefolds.

So a 2x4 Expedit would store 650 records. A 4x4 takes 1300. A 5x5 holds 2000.

A

Anonymous

Hi Jason,

Just been getting back into my collection after having it transported from one house to another in boxes for 30years ....

Firstly get yourself a bottle of 'ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL' from the chemist. If they look funny at you tell em its for cleaning your treasured vinyl!!! (not for sharing with the homeless) A box of ultra soft tissues..(you prob now these well
smiley-wink.gif
) Use the isopropyl to gently clean the records.Blow on them to evaporate it before placing it in your new 100 12" POLYLINED WHITE PAPER RECORD SLEEVES + FREE DEL

Then place your precious into your 50 X 12" BEST PVC REPLACEMENT RECORD SLEEVES +FREE 24H

Then store them upright out of direct sunlight and preferrably on a purpose built shelf or box a galaxy away from moisture and those pesky radiators....

Then sit back with a smug look on your face as you spin your vinyl on your LP12 ...(hoping you have one of course)

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Finding a chemist that sells Isopropyl Alcohol will be your first , and probably , biggest challenge . You will stand a better chance of getting it from Fleabay ,

Nick

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
Finding a chemist that sells Isopropyl Alcohol will be your first , and probably , biggest challenge . You will stand a better chance of getting it from Fleabay , Nick

Shouldn't be a problem. There is a company near me selling it on Ebay, £2.85 for 1 Ltr and £9.50 for 5 Ltr for example.

Should be enough to get you started.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Cheers Guys,

I just made myself up some cleaning fluid last night and whilst my cartridge is away for repair will be looking at cleaning a few albums.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
When I made up my own solution for my Knosti, I used roughly 5 parts Distilled water to 1 Part Isopropynol plus a few drops of rinse aid. Works fine, as good as the solution that came with the Knosti for sure.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts