Where’s Doug?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 197450

Doug asked me to thank you for your concern gel (said you were the man for TV's :))
and he's doing fine (y)
Thanks Gray. All the best Doug. (y) Yes, I have a strange relationship with TVs! 😀

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Gray
Think I'm partly to blame for Doug leaving. Think I trigged him off when I was candid about Harbeth and talking about Marantz reference amps. He certainly responded quite tersely on a couple of occasions, which was very un-Doug like.

I know on the other forum he had a dig at me when I hadn't been on their for days. It was about Harbeth. There seems to be a theme. Hey-ho.

WayneKerr

Think I'm partly to blame for Doug leaving. Think I trigged him off when I was candid about Harbeth and talking about Marantz reference amps. He certainly responded quite tersely on a couple of occasions, which was very un-Doug like.

I know on the other forum he had a dig at me when I hadn't been on their for days. It was about Harbeth. There seems to be a theme. Hey-ho.
Mods this isn't a dig, I'm just setting the record straight as both sides of this need to be heard.

I've re-joined just to put you straight, PP. We have form sir, we have disagreed many times in the past so please don't think my leaving this forum had anything to do with you.

Yes, I may have had words with you on the other forum, but I was far from alone was I? You went on the Harbeth owners section and proceeded to rubbish the manufacturer and products, what did you expect? My comments to you were mild in comparison to other owners and you were kindly asked not to post in that section anymore unless you had something constructive to add.

I don't see where you're coming from regarding Marantz amps, please enlighten me.

Seems kinda strange that over here you are pushing Alan Shaw and his Harbeth products, yet on the other forum you were running him and his products down, you accused owners of blind tribalism. We all agreed that Harbeth prices are getting ridiculous, but you went much further than this.

One of us is playing games PP and it sure isn't me.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Mods this isn't a dig, I'm just setting the record straight as both sides of this need to be heard.

I've re-joined just to put you straight, PP. We have form sir, we have disagreed many times in the past so please don't think my leaving this forum had anything to do with you.

Yes, I may have had words with you on the other forum, but I was far from alone was I? You went on the Harbeth owners section and proceeded to rubbish the manufacturer and products, what did you expect? My comments to you were mild in comparison to other owners and you were kindly asked not to post in that section anymore unless you had something constructive to add.

I don't see where you're coming from regarding Marantz amps, please enlighten me.

Seems kinda strange that over here you are pushing Alan Shaw and his Harbeth products, yet on the other forum you were running him and his products down, you accused owners of blind tribalism. We all agreed that Harbeth prices are getting ridiculous, but you went much further than this.

Welcome to the forum Wayne - even if it is only temporary 🙂

Have we disagreed many times? Not that I can recall. More recently you had some sore words.

Last year I even suggested sending you the Leema to try out...

Re Harbeth, I've had nothing but compliments: Fantastic little speaker, and I've always recommended, if it's within a posters brief & budget, suggested the P3s. What I don't get is why Harbeth owners are over defensive? I'm loyal to the brands but if you said my PMCs are s##t or the Leema is the biggest pile... I wouldn't batter an eyelid. You're entitled to either praise or slag off any brand.

Just to add: I don't have an issue with you. There are more important things in life to worry about. Hope it wasn't just me that made you delete your account.

Last edited:
I've been very transparent over the years. I disliked the way the forum was closed down in the first place & pretty reticent to come back on. I only do if I can help a member or to give a review of how I've found a speaker demoed. Never once have I thought about closing my account down.
I understand, I wasn't suggesting for one minute that you did that.
Having said that I get concerned when spats on other forums get carried over to this one, whatever happens there should stay there and think @DougK was wrong to let it influence his decisions here

Last edited:
Having said that I get concerned when spats on other forums get carried over to this one, whatever happens there should stay there and think @DougK was wrong to let it influence his decisions here
It wasn't even a spat. Even if it was there's more than just me on this forum. Crazy situation & I'm sorry its come to this.

WayneKerr

I was not the person who initially brought up the spat, was I? I just felt I needed to respond. Please delete my post if you believe it is counter-productive.

My reason for leaving this forum was fundamentally to do with over-moderation stifling discussion and debate.

The Mods have a thankless task, no disputing this, but at the end of the day you have to go where you feel more comfortable. The Mods themselves are good decent guys who have helped me countless times over the years and I thank you all for that, I hope there is no bad feeling. Don't worry, I doubt I'll be posting, just lurking.

Reactions: Al ears
D

Deleted member 197450

I was not the person who initially brought up the spat, was I? I just felt I needed to respond. Please delete my post if you believe it is counter-productive.

My reason for leaving this forum was fundamentally to do with over-moderation stifling discussion and debate.

The Mods have a thankless task, no disputing this, but at the end of the day you have to go where you feel more comfortable. The Mods themselves are good decent guys who have helped me countless times over the years and I thank you all for that, I hope there is no bad feeling. Don't worry, I doubt I'll be posting, just lurking.
I agree with Doug over moderation it feels like you can’t say boo to a goose anymore.

Reactions: WayneKerr
D

Deleted member 197450

If you abide by the forum rules you will have no issues. I have seen forums that have little in the way of moderation, and they're not a pretty sight.
The thing is not all of us are up to date with the forum rules and they seem to change at times (I think). And its like since when was that a forum rule? Perhaps saying please don’t do that because of forum rules breaking would clear up any misunderstanding. I know you guys do this already and it’s good. I like being protected as a member by moderation and appreciate it and you guys.

I just feel that forum rules could be more viewable and members perhaps have a say and notified if they change. And perhaps posting the forum rules at the top of each separate thread would be the way to go. Not everyone wants to read forum rules when they join a forum and it’s always hard to find them. Being more viewable and regular updates for members would be an idea. No one wants to break forum rules here. Just more understanding and input.

D

Deleted member 197450

The rules are the first thread/sticky in each subforum - I think putting them in every thread would be overkill.
I didn’t even know that! And I have been a moderator too! :) Perhaps forum rules instead of community rules might be an idea.

D

Deleted member 197450

Perhaps someone like Steven Haines could every so often email the forum rules to members especially if anything changes. Say once a year at the beginning of each year and then again if they change throughout the year. I think I can remember when I was a moderator being updated by forum rules but when you are a member you don’t see this.

Perhaps someone like Steven Haines could every so often email the forum rules to members especially if anything changes. Say once a year at the beginning of each year and then again if they change throughout the year. I think I can remember when I was a moderator being updated by forum rules but when you are a member you don’t see this.
They don't change often and, in fact, have been condensed

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts