When music becomes to much (emotionally that is)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
No, that's because i'm not afraid of feeling my emotions!

There are (too) many pieces of music (to mention) that make me become emotional. Enjoy, enjoy!

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
Covenanter said:
I was lucky enough to be have the opportunity to drive Route 66 from Chicago to Los Angeles a few years ago and I listened to a lot of country music en route as particularly in the mid-West that's what the radio stations play. I can't say that I grew to love it but I did grow to appreciate the genre and to understand that it has its merits.

Chris

Only driven bits of this road, no further East than the New Mexico state line, must have been fun.

Country music is truly huge in the US and like any mass market musical genre it obeys the 80% - 20% rule.

I originally came to country through the country rock movement of the late 60s early 70s. At that time rock music was very heavily influenced by the folk music of black america, much less so than the folk music of white america, though the influence was quite clear on some bands.

If you are interested and are unfamiliar with them try early recordings by The Band, "Big Pink", "The Band", and of course the The Byrds tour de force, "Sweethearts of the Rodeo". I have plenty of more up to date examples should you, or anyone, be at all interested.

Edited for spelling.

It was a "trip of a lifetime" and I would recommend it strongly to anyone who is interested in American culture and / or mid-twentieth century American history. I did a big loop in the Mid-West to pick up a number of Civil War battlefields and overall did (from memory) over 4500 miles so you need to like driving!

I decided not to take any music and to immerse myself in the local culture. I met a lovely English lady schoolteacher at the Midpoint Cafe in Adrian Texas who had taken all of her music, the back seat of her car was covered in CDs!

Chris

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Covenanter said:
davedotco said:
Covenanter said:
I was lucky enough to be have the opportunity to drive Route 66 from Chicago to Los Angeles a few years ago and I listened to a lot of country music en route as particularly in the mid-West that's what the radio stations play. I can't say that I grew to love it but I did grow to appreciate the genre and to understand that it has its merits.

Chris

Only driven bits of this road, no further East than the New Mexico state line, must have been fun.

Country music is truly huge in the US and like any mass market musical genre it obeys the 80% - 20% rule.

I originally came to country through the country rock movement of the late 60s early 70s. At that time rock music was very heavily influenced by the folk music of black america, much less so than the folk music of white america, though the influence was quite clear on some bands.

If you are interested and are unfamiliar with them try early recordings by The Band, "Big Pink", "The Band", and of course the The Byrds tour de force, "Sweethearts of the Rodeo". I have plenty of more up to date examples should you, or anyone, be at all interested.

Edited for spelling.

It was a "trip of a lifetime" and I would recommend it strongly to anyone who is interested in American culture and / or mid-twentieth century American history. I did a big loop in the Mid-West to pick up a number of Civil War battlefields and overall did (from memory) over 4500 miles so you need to like driving!

I decided not to take any music and to immerse myself in the local culture. I met a lovely English lady schoolteacher at the Midpoint Cafe in Adrian Texas who had taken all of her music, the back seat of her car was covered in CDs!

Chris

Driving is the only way to really get a sense of the scale and size of the US. Bizzarely I really like Texas, Dallas to El Paso is a hell of a drive without crossing any state lines.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
Covenanter said:
davedotco said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

Edited for spelling.

Chris

Driving is the only way to really get a sense of the scale and size of the US. Bizzarely I really like Texas, Dallas to El Paso is a hell of a drive without crossing any state lines.

There is a stretch of 66 in Texas where the road is just gravel and you are followed by a plume of dust (like in the Dukes of Hazard). It's quite scary because it's a long stretch and there is (or was) no phone signal and can imagine a puncture being a real problem. I have hundreds of pics and I'll see if I can remember how to post some here.

Chris

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
Covenanter said:
davedotco said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

Edited for spelling.

Chris

Reminds me of Jeff Talmadge who is a Texan singer/songwriter who features quite a bit about driving in his songs, best album is probably Blissville, favourite tracks are 40 days of rain and Take a drive with me.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
davedotco said:
Covenanter said:
davedotco said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

Edited for spelling.

Chris

Reminds me of Jeff Talmadge who is a Texan singer/songwriter who features quite a bit about driving in his songs, best album is probably Blissville, favourite tracks are 40 days of rain and Take a drive with me.

Quick listen, those two tracks are quite impressive.

I generally prefer my country with a bit more rock and roll, but I will give him a play when I have some time.

daveg56

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
The emotions I experience when listening to music was exactly why I got into audiophile hifi. Once you've heard good music, on a great sounding system, there is no going back...

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
Just to add JOE COCKERS. ''With a little help from my friends'' Woodstock performance. Talk about pure emotion........OUTSTANDING ! :clap:

A couple of old friends of mine toured with Joe Cocker and Leon Russell on the notorious 'Mad dogs and Englishmen' tour.

Neither were ever quite the same again.......

Edited to remove crazy emoticons

matthewpiano

Sad - Chopin: Prelude Op.26 No.4 in E Minor. A miniature with an incredible sense of pathos.

Happy - Beethoven: Symphony No.5, 4th movement. After the darkness of the opening movement and the tensions in between, the final movement is one of the most wonderful and jubilant pieces of music in the entire symphonic repertoire.

Beautiful - Debussy: La Mer. One of my favourite places to be is by the sea. It can be beautiful in so many ways and in so many different weathers and Debussy's evocative writing captures this perfectly.

Another piece of music which is a great candidate for the 'beautiful' accolade is Schubert's Impromptu Op.90 No.3 in G flat major. At it's most beautiful in the hands of Alfred Brendel.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
These things are intensely personal -- which isn’t to say we can’t share responses to the pieces of music people have mentioned on this thread. Of course, we can share them: Debussy, Gorecki, Beethoven, Joe Cocker et al. really do profound things to you. (Janacek anyone?)

But if your guts are going to be rumbled and knotted and drawn swiftly up through your torso until they choke in your throat, if your heart is going to swell and palpitate, if your brain’s going to be whirled around and flung into orbit around your body -- then it’ll most often happen when you listen to music that has an intensely personal connection.

For me it started one late summer evening in 1978, in my early teens, when I heard Nicky Horne play the song 'Badlands' from Springsteen’s ‘Darkness on the Edge of Town’ on Capital. I’ve been prone to melancholia since I was small. This was something new and dark and strange that spoke to me as nothing had before. The mixture of lust and longing, desolation and idealism, loneliness and sexual energy – it signed the deal on the spot. That was it. Still makes me well up now.

There’s plenty of other music that can make me weep and quake and exult, but nothing can do it as reliably as the Boss.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
These things are intensely personal -- which isn’t to say we can’t share responses to the pieces of music people have mentioned on this thread. Of course, we can share them: Debussy, Gorecki, Beethoven, Joe Cocker et al. really do profound things to you. (Janacek anyone?)

But if your guts are going to be rumbled and knotted and drawn swiftly up through your torso until they choke in your throat, if your heart is going to swell and palpitate, if your brain’s going to be whirled around and flung into orbit around your body -- then it’ll most often happen when you listen to music that has an intensely personal connection.

For me it started one late summer evening in 1978, in my early teens, when I heard Nicky Horne play the song 'Badlands' from Springsteen’s ‘Darkness on the Edge of Town’ on Capital. I’ve been prone to melancholia since I was small. This was something new and dark and strange that spoke to me as nothing had before. The mixture of lust and longing, desolation and idealism, loneliness and sexual energy – it signed the deal on the spot. That was it. Still makes me well up now.

There’s plenty of other music that can make me weep and quake and exult, but nothing can do it as reliably as the Boss.

I tend to classify a deep emotional response in two separate ways.

Firstly there is the reaction that you get from a piece of music that is strongly associated with something in your life, that 'intensely personal connection' as you put it.

Then there is something else, as I have explained elswhere I do not listen to the same recordings over and over again, I really don't like that. I am always on the search for music that is new, to me anyway. To get a powerful emotional response from music that you are hearing for the first time is different, hard to describe but it just is.

Given my listening habits I get rather more of the second type of reaction than the first, thanks to whoever it was recommending Jeff Talmadge the other day, good stuff, for what it is it seems to have a lot of presence and weight.

Next time I'm going to see if I can find a live recording of his...... :cheer:

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
There is a wonderful moment in Bach's "St Matthew's Passion" at the point where Jesus dies and the evangelist sings:

"Aber Jesus schriee abermal laut und verschied." - "But Jesus cried again aloud and died."

Then there is a silence and the chorus breaks into the famous chorale.

Now I'm not a Christian but it's a wonderful peice of music and I go to see it every Good Friday at the Symphony Hall here in Birmingham. I may be soppy but I cry at that point every time. It's a perfect marriage of story, dramatic moment, silence and wonderful music.

Chris

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
For sad I would go for: Elgar's Cello Concerto with Jaqueline Du Pré

Interesting call, and desperately sad.

Not the best playing, even for her, but the intensity really is something else.

She clearly knew that this could be her last chance to record 'The Elgar' and this is obvious from both from her intensity and the somewhat frantic nature of her playing.

Not the most cerebal of performances but in other respects a truly great moment in musical history.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Sospri said:
Totally concur,

A rendition of this great work by the young lady in my avetar is one of my favourites...............

Sol Gabetta?

I'll have to look her up. I don't play much classical at the moment, limitations of my system and my apartment but I might give it a try.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, one of my favourits CDs at the moment...............

515oLV9secL._SY355_.jpg

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
Sospri said:
Totally concur,

A rendition of this great work by the young lady in my avetar is one of my favourites...............

Sol Gabetta?

I'll have to look her up. I don't play much classical at the moment, limitations of my system and my apartment but I might give it a try.

Saw her at Symphony Hall last year - very impressive player, very intense.

Chris

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
There's lots of music that moves me, but a couple in particular...
Bonnie Raitt "I can't make you love me" for reasons I won't go into and Vaughn Williams "The Lark Ascending"... simply beautiful.
Lets face it, if music don't stir you, you aint got no soul!

TRENDING THREADS