Question What's your next HiFi purchase?

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

daveh75

Still, I don't think £125 is a rip off, the materials and composition is of reasonable quality and reviews from customers show some satisfaction for the product (I would mention sound quality, but mindful in avoiding another cable debate :ROFLMAO: )

They're counterfeit, so what makes you think they're not also being dishonest about the materials used and composition of these cables?

Seriously, theres no helping audiofools/cable believers!

Reactions: DougK1

Jasonovich

Not so sure on 97%. The speed of Thunder depends on altitude, as the thinner the air, that faster the speed. It peaks at around 700mph way up in the sky, where Thunder lives. The speed of lightning is around 270,000mph. Hence the bigger the gap between seeing lightning and hearing thunder, the further away they are. That's today's totally useless fact taken care of. Might win the pub quiz though!
I was just amused by this marketing blur, how could any one make such claim!

Jasonovich

If the pub quiz consisted of one random question, I might have stood a hope in hell of ever winning one.
I have the cure! :)

Reactions: Revolutions

Revolutions

Big changes 2/2. Matt goes active with ATC SCM40a.

Spent about a week with the speakers & I’m even happier than what I heard in the demo. I thought I was getting refinement, but in my living room it’s clear that these speakers are a step up from my previous speakers (which I loved). They are incredibly detailed and deliver everything with ease. Coupled with the Linn, everything is alive but not cold or clinical. It’s the best of both for my ears.

even buying the speakers used & amp ex-demo I’ve unsurprisingly blown my budget. I may have gotten lucky here & really scratched the itch. I’m looking forward to getting to know this system really well over the coming years.

In the short-term I’ll probably be getting an ND7 cartridge, so this system has more to give.

I’m loving it 🥰 lots of appreciation for you all here, it’s a great community and everyone is so helpful. Special shout-out to @nopiano for the suggestion to check out ATC actives based on my tastes. Brilliant recommendation 👌🏼

IMG-5742.jpg

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site

Spent about a week with the speakers & I’m even happier than what I heard in the demo. I thought I was getting refinement, but in my living room it’s clear that these speakers are a step up from my previous speakers (which I loved). They are incredibly detailed and deliver everything with ease. Coupled with the Linn, everything is alive but not cold or clinical. It’s the best of both for my ears.

even buying the speakers used & amp ex-demo I’ve unsurprisingly blown my budget. I may have gotten lucky here & really scratched the itch. I’m looking forward to getting to know this system really well over the coming years.

In the short-term I’ll probably be getting an ND7 cartridge, so this system has more to give.

I’m loving it 🥰 lots of appreciation for you all here, it’s a great community and everyone is so helpful. Special shout-out to @nopiano for the suggestion to check out ATC actives based on my tastes. Brilliant recommendation 👌🏼

IMG-5742.jpg
(y)Really pleased for you Matt, glad it's all worked out so well for you.

Gray

IMG-5742.jpg
Well done Matt, they look great.
I've always fancied some SCM40, even more so the active version.
Good luck to you 👍

Jasonovich

IMG-5742.jpg
Your system Matt has really evolved and very glad you found the right balance. I didn't know ATC done active speakers and these really look spectacular and I so love the minimalism. This was something Pod was trying to achieve with his system.

There's something about active speakers, I can't quite put a finger on it or how to describe it but it somehow brings you closer to the music, more immersive, I suspect this is how the ATC's come across?

Yes and there's the cables, never underestimate the Jedi, feel the force.... hahaha, it's taboo on this site but do experiment, don't spend a lot of money but see which one's give the right sonic tonality. Or, if you're already happy with your cabling, just send this paragraph to the file 13 cabinet :)

Yep Congrats, great job Matt.

Reactions: Revolutions

Revolutions

Your system Matt has really evolved and very glad you found the right balance. I didn't know ATC done active speakers and these really look spectacular and I so love the minimalism. This was something Pod was trying to achieve with his system.

There's something about active speakers, I can't quite put a finger on it or how to describe it but it somehow brings you closer to the music, more immersive, I suspect this is how the ATC's come across?

Yes and there's the cables, never underestimate the Jedi, feel the force.... hahaha, it's taboo on this site but do experiment, don't spend a lot of money but see which one's give the right sonic tonality. Or, if you're already happy with your cabling, just send this paragraph to the file 13 cabinet :)

Yep Congrats, great job Matt.
Thanks everyone for the kind words 🙂

At first I thought the idea of active speakers was a bit out there. There must be a reason they’re so popular in studios, and when I started to think about monoblocks it started to click that everything ‘audiophile’ is a move towards exactly what actives offer. A separate amp designed to specifically match each the speaker. I’m more than happy with the result - and now the number of boxes totally transformed to 2 + speakers.

Ah, cables 😂

I have quad balanced xlr cables that cost me £60 & I can’t see any reason to pay more than that. The shop I bought the Linn from have offered to lend me a Chord Clearway power supply & cat5 filter, so I can try both those to see if there’s any improvement without having to shell out first.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts