Question What's your next HiFi purchase?

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
I was looking at a graphic equaliser 😲😲

Then I realised that I'd wired the QA's out of phase after a recent swap round whilst changing my speakers within my main system.

Ermmmmm yeah I did it after 30yrs of setting my own stuff up and djaying from one place to another I managed at 40 yrs old to pull it off.
I thought the thin sound was a just the way they sound with the pioneer a400.

It was so out of character I ended up on the regular fault finding mission.
I've had the old a400 with so many speakers and anciliries/combinations over the yrs and it's always sounded as good and better than almost everything I've heard and had costing way more in some cases that I thought I'd check.

I'd recently treated it to a new power led and banana plugs but managed in my thickness to fit the coloured banana plugs negative to positive and visa versa on one channel dohh.

I've never heard speakers out of phase before hearing only reproductions of how it's supposed to sound via phase tests and they replicate it no where near how it really sounds which is totally lifeless and thin as all the bass is cancelled out.
Not unlike that bobbing headed arseh!!e on the bus that sits next to you despite his many other seating options, with his headphones on as loud as they go obviously in conjunction with his drum and bass.

I've still managed to convince myself after my many dealings with Dirac now with my main hifi that a good equaliser in the absence of much more convenient tone controls is indeed an easier way forward given that I have a contrary problem with my other hifi and thats excessive bass.
It's only with certain genras now I've switched to the much loved fyne audio f502.

I love the fynes but the bass can be too much with rare occasions I play hard tekno etc.
(The sub woofer that gathered dust is now definitely going with my other hifi as it's even more pointless)
I'm not a fan of booking in a lengthy consultation with a laptop and being a contortionist with the microphone evertime I just want to make a simple adjustment with just one frequency that used to take seconds with the twist of a knob.

Maybe it's the prospect of another new shiny thing 😁and i do like a full hifi rack and it's got a free space 😂

I'm as shocked as the reviewers at how good the Audio Bellari EQ570 is after looking through a few different ones.
I know I could just adjust the bass via Dirac and upload a new curve but I do miss the simple quick twiddling of one knob which to me is preferred to deal with such a problem.
I prefer the old ways in both that and room correction (when possible) sometimes Dirac is the only way especially when you have a partner.

The Bellari simple 4 frequency width knob adjustment sidesteps the days of silliness to target the ones that matter and it's performed admirably across the board as with all other tests.

I Know normally like myself separate equalisers aren't really something highly regarded in hifi.
The low quality ones from the late 80s and 90s found on those mostly dreadful "all in one" hifi racks only adding to that stigma but this little box is a great way of incorporating the much missed tone controls that used to be a rudimentary must.

I know it's gotten many out of a hole within the comment sections on its many reviews.

Reactions: Leon74

Steve983

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Well I gave in to temptation and bought a Marantz CD6007 to replace my old CD6004 which I have just sold on Ebay. I wondered about getting the CD60 but since it doesn't actually do anything that the CD6007 doesn't I decided against it. No doubt it has a better DAC but will it actually sound £200 better? I didn't think so but I'm sure some might tell me otherwise?

Anyway, I'm very pleased with the CD6007, despite looking identical to the CD6004 it has a vastly improved headphone amp built in, plays hi res and any file format you can think of which is very convenient and I don't think its 'hopeful expectation bias' to say I think it sounds better than the old one overall so I'm a happy camper.

Reactions: Messiah

Felipe007

May 6, 2024
Visit site
I hope to complete my 5.1 Klipsch setup for the end of this year, first pair of R-50M's already ordered, next will be amp or R-30C center speaker. Wish you luck on your purchases and music be with you 🎶

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Well the DAC chip doesn't tell the whole story.

Given that the CD60 is higher up the chain, one should expect a more refined audio experience.

I would have demoed both if it was me, but if your happy don't worry about it.
Yes I've had the 6007 and didn't hear an improvement over an older existing Marantz player of mine so went up the food chain a little and demoed all sorts and found the CD 60 very good indeed.

To me well worth the extra cash given that I couldn't find any price equivalent player sonically better than my aging twice repaired Marantz cd52 mk2 (to my ears)

It's gotten me from sporadic listening to loading in a cd every morning again.

It's all relative of course if one likes what they have why spend more.
I'd probably of been happy with the 6007 it's an accomplished player but already having one to me as good negated the point of staying with it.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
My new 'portable' headphone arrived today, nearly New - Focal Elegia Headphones - Closed Back, Over the Ear. Amazing quality, in prestine condition, to my eyes it's brand new!
Sevenoaks are selling them on eBay, I had a look today, there's just one left. If you're interested the price is £335, these normally retail at £499. Get yourself a bargain!

my earphones KZ were driving me nuts with all the fiddling, trying to get it over your correct ear aaagh, I got these on impulse, still very glad I did. The Elegia's are a little big for a portable but they do hug your ears nicely like the llama's soft paws. Oh man, they look so cool. Comes with good quality cable 3.5mm and 6.5mm adapter. I have ordered customised balance 4.4mm cables for them on AliExpress, this should improve the sound further (my assumption, as I've not listened to them as yet).

Happy days!

1717146709629.png
1717146656259.png

Check out Nearly New - Focal Elegia Headphones - Closed Back, Over the Ear - Black on eBay!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/37542710...id=TNTnGB1cS7-&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Your signature contains a lot of kit and you mention a balanced cable, what do you intend to plug them into Jason?
Hi Doug. it shouldn't be a problem using Focal's original headphone 3.5mm non-balanced cable. The TempoTec DAP comes with amp powered 3.5mm and 4.4mm output as well as standard non-amp outputs.

It'll take a couple of weeks for 7n OCC 4.4mm balanced cables to arrive from China, it'll interesting to see how it compares to Elegia's stock headphone cables.

1717155435413.png
1717155982725.png

I wasn't going to listen to them, Doug you made me put them on!

3.5mm unbalanced output isn't as loud as balanced, I had to turn the wick up a little.
Impressions?
Nice, detailed and very smooth. listening to bluesy jazz at DSD512. I am impressed, space and depth, so smooth, like a creamy latte. Oh I am easily pleased, hahahaha. Seriously these are good. Oh fudge I have to work, office is calling!

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1 and Dom

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Oh I see.

I thought it might be an Astell&Kern portable whilst commuting around London.
I know I'm biased, these TempoTec are the WiiM equivalent of DAP. The cheaper V3 I got for my missus (she didn't want the big heavy V6's. The V3's not that much smaller). The V6, I got originally for £373, the price has come down now. A&K cost nonsense money and I really don't think are as good.

The V6's OS are Android base and can use it like a streamer, I have Spotify app downloaded on these. The V3 sounds just as good but doesn't have powered outputs or the features. The V3 doesn't have Android but the Hiby operating system interface is much better than the V6 Android and at £150 the V3 is less than half the price, an absolute steal.

Last edited:

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Hi Doug. it shouldn't be a problem using Focal's original headphone 3.5mm non-balanced cable. The TempoTec DAP comes with amp powered 3.5mm and 4.4mm output as well as standard non-amp outputs.

It'll take a couple of weeks for 7n OCC 4.4mm balanced cables to arrive from China, it'll interesting to see how it compares to Elegia's stock headphone cables.

View attachment 6783
View attachment 6784

I wasn't going to listen to them, Doug you made me put them on!

3.5mm unbalanced output isn't as loud as balanced, I had to turn the wick up a little.
Impressions?
Nice, detailed and very smooth. listening to bluesy jazz at DSD512. I am impressed, space and depth, so smooth, like a creamy latte. Oh I am easily pleased, hahahaha. Seriously these are good. Oh fudge I have to work, office is calling!
Well pleased for ya re the Focals, I do like the look of them (y)

I dabbled with balanced for my HD800S's & HD650's with a Topping A90D head-amp. Balanced is louder but extra detail wasn't immediately apparent to me, the unbalanced socket of the A90D sounds no different to the sockets in my Marantz amp and CDP. For convenience I keep the balanced cables attached to the cans but bought two 6.3mm adaptors from AliExpress.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I suppose you're right Doug, balanced cables don't necessarily give more detail. Sometimes louder is perceived as being better. Also the earthing is better, so potentially, the low-level white noise you get from 3.5mm unbalanced, should be cleaner on the 4.4's. Again, I don't think the human ear can detect this.

Yeah I need to ramp up my bling, oh yes! I can almost hear the kids thinking , "what is this old fart wearing?" :)
You may not agree, but these new cables are aesthetically pleasing to the eye and if it brings any sonic benefits then this would be a bonus :)

Update: the most important point

The 4.4mm balanced I can also apply home; to the output socket of my Singxer headamp, it has three outputs, 4.4, 6.5 and XLR. It'll be interesting to compare it to my other headphone Hifiman Edition XS. Or just listen to tracks that is more favourable to the Focals and vice versa.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
I suppose you're right Doug, balanced cables don't necessarily give more detail. Sometimes louder is perceived as being better. Also the earthing is better, so potentially, the low-level white noise you get from 3.5mm unbalanced, should be cleaner on the 4.4's. Again, I don't think the human ear can detect this.

Yeah I need to ramp up my bling, oh yes! I can almost hear the kids thinking , "what is this old fart wearing?" :)
You may not agree, but these new cables are aesthetically pleasing to the eye and if it brings any sonic benefits then this would be a bonus :)
(y)You should know me by now Jason, I don't do bling :) The cables on my cans are standard Sennheiser :)

Reactions: Jasonovich

Friesiansam

My new 'portable' headphone arrived today, nearly New - Focal Elegia Headphones - Closed Back, Over the Ear. Amazing quality, in prestine condition, to my eyes it's brand new!
Sevenoaks are selling them on eBay, I had a look today, there's just one left. If you're interested the price is £335, these normally retail at £499. Get yourself a bargain!

my earphones KZ were driving me nuts with all the fiddling, trying to get it over your correct ear aaagh, I got these on impulse, still very glad I did. The Elegia's are a little big for a portable but they do hug your ears nicely like the llama's soft paws. Oh man, they look so cool. Comes with good quality cable 3.5mm and 6.5mm adapter. I have ordered customised balance 4.4mm cables for them on AliExpress, this should improve the sound further (my assumption, as I've not listened to them as yet).

Happy days!

View attachment 6776
View attachment 6775

Check out Nearly New - Focal Elegia Headphones - Closed Back, Over the Ear - Black on eBay!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/37542710...id=TNTnGB1cS7-&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL
Hope you are as happy with those as I am with mine, after nearly 4 years. Driven by the Pathos amp, they are just right for me and the music I mostly listen to.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
almost always. The human ear can pick up differences in volume far easier than it can pick up differences in quality. It's also a well known trick used by hi-fi salesmen. When you go for a demo, they put the volume up on the product they want you to buy.
Ah! That explains why I never sold any stereos with the sound on zero 🤯

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts