Question What's your next HiFi purchase?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

AndyCC72

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
Hello John. My thoughts are probably worth there weight in farts as I have nothing to compare it to. Haven’t had a turntable for over 20 years.

it was relatively easy to set up insomuch as I muddled through the instructions not really fully understanding the whole balance and anti skate bits, but it appears to have all gone to plan as it’s playing and sounds utterly wonderful. I’m using the built in phono stage and not the one on my Cyrus One amp. At some stage I’ll do a comparison, when I can be bothered.

the build is lovely, it’sgot that iconic Technics look which I love and it’s very solid. My only concern at the moment is that I haven’t set it up entirely correctly and it could sound even better than it already does.

at present I only have 5 records all of which have been played about 4 times each since it arrived yesterday.

so based on my limited knowledge of turntables I would recommend it. 😉

My mum and dad are coming for a BBQ today and are bringing their records round for me. They’ve not had a turntable for 10 years. Some excellent stuff, original Stones, Beatles, Kinks and some great Blues and Jazz. My dad has impeccable taste in music. My best mate is letting me loan/have his collection which has been in his loft for 15 years. This is mainly soul and house from the 80’s and 90’s. I hope being in the loft for so long hasn’t damaged them. So within in the next couple of weeks I’ll go from having a couple of records to a couple of hundred (loft damage permitting)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray and Oxfordian

Gray

Hello John. My thoughts are probably worth their weight in farts as I have nothing to compare it to. Haven’t had a turntable for over 20 years.

it was relatively easy to set up insomuch as I muddled through the instructions not really fully understanding the whole balance and anti skate bits, but it appears to have all gone to plan as it’s playing and sounds utterly wonderful. I’m using the built in phono stage and not the one on my Cyrus One amp. At some stage I’ll do a comparison, when I can be bothered.

the build is lovely, it’sgot that iconic Technics look which I love and it’s very solid. My only concern at the moment is that I haven’t set it up entirely correctly and it could sound even better than it already does.

at present I only have 5 records all of which have been played about 4 times each since it arrived yesterday.

so based on my limited knowledge of turntables I would recommend it. 😉

My mum and dad are coming for a BBQ today and are bringing their records round for me. They’ve not had a turntable for 10 years. Some excellent stuff, original Stones, Beatles, Kinks and some great Blues and Jazz. My dad has impeccable taste in music. My best mate is letting me loan/have his collection which has been in his loft for 15 years. This is mainly soul and house from the 80’s and 90’s. I hope being in the loft for so long hasn’t damaged them. So within in the next couple of weeks I’ll go from having a couple of records to a couple of hundred (loft damage permitting)
...with any luck you'll get some 12" (45 rpm) singles to really show you what it's capable of.
I've liked the look of that 1500C since it came out, good luck to you Andy.

Reactions: AndyCC72

AndyCC72

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
...with any luck you'll get some 12" (45 rpm) singles to really show you what it's capable of.
I've liked the look of that 1500C since it came out, good luck to you Andy.
Cheers Gray, my friends collection that he’s loaning me is predominantly 12inches (45rpm). Soul and house from the 80’s/90’s (which is my preferred music). I’m hugely excited about getting those.

I’m playing my Dad’s records from the 60’s/70’s now and despite rigorous cleaning they’re quite crackly. I presume it’s wear and tear from years of use? They sound great, crackles aside.

Reactions: Gray

AJM1981

I have a set of Madison bookshelves in the master bedroom and am about to exchange my older 1992 Denon for a more modern and compact 2010 Marantz receiver which has an integrated CD player, USB and fm radio. I read people were really satisfied about its quality as an amp, point of improvement were the optional speakers.

I don't expect wonders but can't really go wrong either. :)

Take1

May 5, 2021
Visit site
Im lookin for Focal Aria 906 as competition for my B&W 606, what do you think?
Soo, with some discount maybe CXN V2 streamer who replace my Windows machine with ROON and complete combo with my Cambridge CXA81... Also thinking about replacing my speaker cables Audioquest SLIP-DB 14/4, any tips?

Im lookin for Focal Aria 906 as competition for my B&W 606, what do you think?
Soo, with some discount maybe CXN V2 streamer who replace my Windows machine with ROON and complete combo with my Cambridge CXA81... Also thinking about replacing my speaker cables Audioquest SLIP-DB 14/4, any tips?
what's wrong with your current speaker cable?
Regards speakers you are really going to have to audition yourser

Take1

May 5, 2021
Visit site
what's wrong with your current speaker cable?
Regards speakers you are really going to have to audition yourser

Nothing, but I using bulk wire without plugs. Its uncomfortable. So I think about buying banana plugs on my cables or new one.. How's your experience with cable with/without plugs?

Nothing, but I using bulk wire without plugs. Its uncomfortable. So I think about buying banana plugs on my cables or new one.. How's your experience with cable with/without plugs?
bare wire is fine but it can tarnish. Banana plugs are more convenient if you change speakers regularly. Some say they give a better connection, and obviously, if good tend not to tarnish. Might be cheaper to add banana plugs to your existing cables.

Reactions: Gray
I had been considering upgrading my speakers, no particular reason other than fancied a change. But there is nothing out there that appeals to me that would tear me away from my Focals. The longer I have them, the happier I’ve become with them.

paspolc

May 3, 2021
Visit site
I would like to buy a new amplifier Cambridge Audio Cxa61 to replace my Denon pma600ne, but price is rather high at the moment, i'll wait for a discount...

Pasquale

Oxfordian

Could you use the parts to make an SRM-tech turntable?

I have no idea what to do with it to be honest.

My hifi dealer offered to sell it ‘as is‘ via their eBay website but for now it is sitting on a chest of drawers in the spare bedroom whilst I decide what to do with it.

I fancy a project so doing something with it would be a good use of my time, and something I have never done before so a challenge as well. At the minute I am in the process of moving house so happy to take it with me and then have a look and see what can be used and how I can use it.

Thanks for the idea.

Reactions: bigfish786

Gray

Nothing wrong with your speaker cable (It's what I use).
These are easy to fit and reasonably priced. No soldering necessary, a nice, 2-screw design:
Or the right-angled version:
Cut off then bare back your cable to lose the copper that's been exposed to the air - to get clean copper into the bananas.

Last edited:

Take1

May 5, 2021
Visit site
These are easy to fit and reasonably priced. No soldering necessary, a nice, 2-screw design:
Cut off then bare back your cable to lose the copper that's been exposed to the air - to get clean copper into the bananas.

I'll check it, thanks.
Any experience with these? https://www.audioquest.com/accessor...100-connectors/suregrip-100-bfa-banana-silver

Gray

I've got BFA connectors on the (Cyrus) amp end, but no experience of those particular ones.
Seems like they allow users to do their own cold weld.
Screw type fitting also avoids solder too though.
The theory behind avoiding solder being that current needs to travel through it rather than getting a direct connection to the metal of the plug.
(Only those with special ears / vivid imaginations would hear any difference).

AJM1981

Not hifi but a new TV. Just posted a question over in the TV section as I know even less about TV's than Hifi.

I own an old Loewe LCD that I like for its design. The disadvantage is that it only has one HDMI port so I use an external switch box..Might replace it as a next thing but since the quality is well.. I don't think it will give up any time soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoA

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site

I tried a set of those same right angled versions a year or two back to fit into the back of my then amp (Denon PMA-1600) and they were so tight I couldn't plug them in. Try as I might they just wouldn't fit so I had to send them back. Not sure if they were just a bad batch but my other banana plugs fitted OK.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts