Question What's your next HiFi purchase?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

valkyrieorion

Sep 8, 2020
Visit site
Looking for a compact amp to go on a computer desk. Matching with Martin Logan Motion 35xti and Dynamo 800x sub. Sorta of torn between a Peachtree Nova 150 or 300, Quad Vena II or Marantz HDAMP1. If I wait longer a Naim Atom or NAD M10 would also interest me with streaming. Anything bigger then the Peachtree is just too big. Sadly I can’t go audition anywhere close to me unless I do a 6 hour round trip. Currently powering with a Yamaha WXA50 with a JDS Labs Element II providing the DAC.

matthewpiano

I'm not sure at this stage.

My turntable and streamer are fixed for as far ahead as I can see, as I have no issues with the performance of either and in both cases I don't think I could improve on them without spending a fortune I don't have.

It is also unlikely that I'll buy any more speakers in the forseeable future. I currently have Dali Oberon 5s, MA Bronze 200s, Wharfedale Linton 85s and Dynaudio DM2/6 plus the Spektor 2s on my upstairs system and some pairs of older speakers. I haven't got space for anymore, and that's a pretty decent selection to choose from.

What I haven't quite got right yet is the CD player and amplifier, and I'm considering my next purchase with extreme care. I've been through a huge number of amplifiers in the last 15 years. When I think about it, it's ridiculous. I should be settling down with something now and for a considerable length of time.

I want to establish a system I can be happy with for at least the next decade and that's going to take some thinking and a change of mindset. The amps I've enjoyed the most are the Arcam A65+, Naim Nait 3, Creek 4330R, Rega Brio-R, Exposure 1010 and Cambridge Audio Azur 740A- not necessarily the most expensive I've had, but certainly the most musically enjoyable.

The most satisfying CD players I've had (saving you the pain of a full list) are the Rega Apollo-R, Rotel RCD965BX (which I still have), Roksan Kandy K3, Arcam CD73T, Cambridge Audio Azur 740C, and Harman Kardon HD970.

So, what next, bearing in mind that I like long listening sessions and listen to a vast range of music?
One thought is simply to go back to entry-level Rega, in the form of Brio and Apollo. I enjoyed my Brio-R more than I did the Elex-R I had, and I think the Apollo is almost impossible to beat anywhere near its price.

My amp shortlist is as follows:
Naim Nait 5si
Exposure XM5
Arcam SA20
Creek Evolution 50A

My CD player shortlist is:
Naim CD-5si
Exposure XM5
Arcam CD-S50
Rega Apollo
or sticking with the Roksan I still have (though it doesn't like CDs that are longer than the 80 minute limit of the red book standard, and I have a good few of those in big classical box sets. Roksan has confirmed that this is normal as they use a dedicated audio drive that is designed to give its best with red book CDs).

Last edited:

matthewpiano

Just to add, I'm very tempted to go for an entry-level Rega set-up again - Apollo, Brio and RX1s. I had the previous versions of all 3 some time ago, and what it lacked in sonic fireworks it more than made up for in terms of long-term listening pleasure.

D

Deleted member 188516

Just to add, I'm very tempted to go for an entry-level Rega set-up again - Apollo, Brio and RX1s. I had the previous versions of all 3 some time ago, and what it lacked in sonic fireworks it more than made up for in terms of long-term listening pleasure.

may i ask how would you describe the complete rega system sound ?

(i had a demo of the apollo, brio and b&w 606 a year or so ago and was impressed).

matthewpiano

may i ask how would you describe the complete rega system sound ?

(i had a demo of the apollo, brio and b&w 606 a year or so ago and was impressed).

Very natural and well integrated across the frequency range. Rega isn't about sonic fireworks that impress in a demonstration, but about long-term listening satisfaction. That isn't to say a complete Rega system can't punch when the music requires, or that it lacks anything in timing or detail. It just doesn't throw the music at you full-speed like so much affordable kit does.

The B&W 606s would have added a level of additional brightness and forwardness to the Apollo and Brio. If that's the sound you like, then all is well. If you prefer something more natural, the Rega speakers work better.

D

Deleted member 188516

Very natural and well integrated across the frequency range. Rega isn't about sonic fireworks that impress in a demonstration, but about long-term listening satisfaction. That isn't to say a complete Rega system can't punch when the music requires, or that it lacks anything in timing or detail. It just doesn't throw the music at you full-speed like so much affordable kit does.

The B&W 606s would have added a level of additional brightness and forwardness to the Apollo and Brio. If that's the sound you like, then all is well. If you prefer something more natural, the Rega speakers work better.

in the demo i had the treble was forward and a little harsh at times. what impressed me was the way the sound filled the large listening room. there was lots of bass too but, admittedly, it was not super tuneful.

matthewpiano

in the demo i had the treble was forward and a little harsh at times. what impressed me was the way the sound filled the large listening room. there was lots of bass too but, admittedly, it was not super tuneful.

The issues you experienced are entirely down to the B&Ws, and certainly not the Apollo/Brio combination. I think you would experience something entirely different should you get the chance to hear them with Rega's own speakers.

Davywhizz

Sep 30, 2020
Visit site
Today I ordered a NAD D3020 v2 amp and a Bluesound Node 2i streamer. I was planning to get just one box, a Powernode 2i (the same Node with a built-in amp if you don't know it) but couldn't resist getting the separate NAD for an extra £100 in total. It has better input options, including a dedicated phono stage, plus I thought it would be nice to have a separate amp I could use in other applications in the future rather being tied to a more expensive combined amp/streamer. The new toys will go with my Denon turntable, Elac speakers and a Yamaha sub. I've also got my 850 CDs ripped to a Brennan B2 which will link to the NAD via its optical input.

djh1697

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
2 * 7m lengths of Kudos KS1 cable, terminated in 4mm plugs, maybe a New Cartridge for my record deck after that? I have a 960Gb SSD drive, not sure if i should put it my Roon NUC

Nothing in the immediate future. Perhaps later next year I'll be looking at Harbeth C7 Anniversary speakers - smitten by the home demo a few months ago by the P3s.

TBH, though, my system has been a delightful little port in a storm during the pandemic. It ticks so many boxes that the Harbeths will need to be very special to dethrone the PMCs.

AndyCC72

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
I'm contemplating an antimode even though I have only just found out what one is :)

I've just added to my system, which I am over the moon with but I know that I haven't got them tuned just right. I know they can be even better. So the room correction of the antimode seems very appealing.

Anyone used one to great success with music.? It's all music that comes through my system/subs.

Is it as easy as 'plug and play' as advertised on some antimode's or is there lots of techy tuning required?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts