Whats your favourite hi-fi brand at the minute?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
DocG said:
james_LR90 said:
It has to be NVA for me. I am constantly stunned by how good my system sounds. I just cannot understand why such amazing kit isn't talked about on here. I just don't understand it!

Hi James. Never heard of the brand. Could you give us some background, listening impressions, etc? Always interested in a new flavour...

Having said that, I'm going for Magnepan here! Can't wait to build my new system...

NVA a.k.a. Nene Valley Audio was founded by Richard Dunn, who has been building amplifier systems since the 70's.

Just Google NVA amplifier to see more.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
For 20+ years I was a die hard 'Linnie' and was absolutely convinced that I'd never move to another brand. Then I got brassed off with their (to me) overly complex upgrade paths with sticking Aktiv cards into everything etc/high cost so I sold the lot of it and went to the 'dark side' with Naim Audio and Monitor Audio (was also a B&W disciple until I heard these).

Very happy with both of them and plan to buy a second, bigger, Naim setup in 12 - 18 months. Would love a Sugden/McIntosh type of kit though.

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
With the 30 day return policy I think giving NVA a try is a bit of a no brainer to be honest. I would be surprised if you do end up returning the amps...

I had an AP10 and an AP20 before upgrading to pre/power and even the little AP10 was a cracking little amp. I know sound is subjective but I would describe NVA as massively detailed and very musical! No matter what I play through my system I always feel like I'm hearing music at its absolute best... Then when I move up the NVA ladder it gets a little bit better! I could have happily lived with the AP10 as my only amp but ultimately the pre/power is more musical and takes the detail up a few notches.

I have no intention of buying anything other than NVA because I simply do not think I could get anything better. That may sound a bit fanboy ish but I genuinely mean it.

As I have said on here before if anyone is near Manchester they are welcome to have a listen!

james_LR90 said:
With the 30 day return policy I think giving NVA a try is a bit of a no brainer to be honest. I would be surprised if you do end up returning the amps...

I had an AP10 and an AP20 before upgrading to pre/power and even the little AP10 was a cracking little amp. I know sound is subjective but I would describe NVA as massively detailed and very musical! No matter what I play through my system I always feel like I'm hearing music at its absolute best... Then when I move up the NVA ladder it gets a little bit better! I could have happily lived with the AP10 as my only amp but ultimately the pre/power is more musical and takes the detail up a few notches.

I have no intention of buying anything other than NVA because I simply do not think I could get anything better. That may sound a bit fanboy ish but I genuinely mean it.

As I have said on here before if anyone is near Manchester they are welcome to have a listen!

I think you've answered your own question as to why these products are not talked about.

No flashy brochures, not much information, none sent for reviews, requires own-brand cables, no dealers. That about sums it up, a bit like that other well-respected amp, initially, the Abrahamsen.

Not saying they are bad but most people, in my opinion, like to go to a dealer and do side to side comparisons before parting with a grand rather than resorting to faith.

George Hincapie

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
It's a shame, but that is the way the World works. That said, with a free 30 day home trial, there's no excuse not to give it a whirl.

As regards own cables, that's not an issue. Naim do it and seem to manage OK.

George Hincapie

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
james_LR90 said:

I don't understand why there's no option to direct message other forum members...

Can you please drop me an e-mail? My address is hincapie.george[at]gmail.com - just a few questions I'd like to ask rather than take the thread on a tangent.

George Hincapie said:
It's a shame, but that is the way the World works. That said, with a free 30 day home trial, there's no excuse not to give it a whirl.

As regards own cables, that's not an issue. Naim do it and seem to manage OK.

With Naim it is different.

And agree it is not a bad way to keep prices down, but not a good way to get really talked about.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I own a few stereo amps but my main stereo before the Rega amp was a Sony ES amp from the early 90's which I still love. It is now being used in a second system thats in my kicthen. The Rega Brio-R helps the treble sound very sweet and adds just the right amount of bass to each song.

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
At the moment its the wonderful sounding

ProAc Speakers (studio 118) theyre wonderfully handsome looking (in a very basic way) but they sound incredible.

Also it has to be said that Q Acoustics are also producing some Gorg speakers i.e Concept 20 and the floorstanders 3050.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
George Hincapie said:
james_LR90 said:

I don't understand why there's no option to direct message other forum members...

Can you please drop me an e-mail? My address is hincapie.george[at]gmail.com - just a few questions I'd like to ask rather than take the thread on a tangent.

Well James, I live in Manchester and personally I would love to listen to your system. I've been toying with asking on the HFS forum to see if there were any NVA owners nearby. I've not read many bad things, if any, about their gear but the owner I believe has fallen out with a few of the other forums (AOS,PFM etc.) so their equipment is not talked about a lot. I may well be dropping you an email if I had your email address!

jonathanRD said:
Rega but I'd like to go Leema - made in Wales see

Like your thinking butty. :)

Great things come out of Wales. Tom Evans Audio for another.

Similar to NVA in a way because you buy on faith, more expensive for sure, but at least there's rave reviews to give you some sort of confidence. :)

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
jonathanRD said:

Similar to NVA in a way because you buy on faith, more expensive for sure, but at least there's rave reviews to give you some sort of confidence. :)

I've been keeping an eye on the launch of the Leema Quasar - the website still says 'coming winter 2015'.

A Rega Elicit R + Rega Dac R (just won the blind group test in Hifi Choice) + Sonos Connect - money wise together would be similar in price to the Exposure 3010 (plus dac & streaming modules), a Hegel 160 or the new Quasar?

jonathanRD said:
Al ears said:
jonathanRD said:

I've been keeping an eye on the launch of the Leema Quasar - the website still says 'coming winter 2015'.

A Rega Elicit R + Rega Dac R (just won the blind group test in Hifi Choice) + Sonos Connect - money wise together would be similar in price to the Exposure 3010 (plus dac & streaming modules), a Hegel 160 or the new Quasar?

Sorry cannot understand your point hers.

Anything 'coming' should not be in this thread.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
james_LR90 said:
Hi,

My email is fellows92 at hotmail.co.uk

James

thumbs_up.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts