• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

whats with all this

Superaintit

New member
Feb 8, 2009
100
0
0
Its hard to answer. If you mean why is it happing on this site, then it could be a young group of hackers trying out stuff that others made. Or it could be with a malicious intent from a competitor to disturb the functionality so that people leave.
My guess its the first.
From a technical point of view, the why is because there hasn't been anybody yet with the technical skill to prevent many posts in a short time and/or blockage of certain ip adresses. The latter is probably hard to do since I suspect they're using vpn. That is each time a different computer to post from to hide your own identity/ip address.
 

spiny norman

New member
Jan 14, 2009
293
0
0
Superaintit said:
then it could be a young group of hackers trying out stuff that others made.
Don't think it's anything as clever as hackers: it's just simple cut and paste spamming.

Superaintit said:
From a technical point of view, the why is because there hasn't been anybody yet with the technical skill to prevent many posts in a short time
I thought this site had some kind of spam filtering, which occasionally blocks 'innocent' posters from putting up genuine links or pix or whatever. Can't see how it manages to block 'normal' users, yet apparently lets multispammers sail through. Baffling!
 

expat_mike

Well-known member
Mar 30, 2013
159
2
10,595
spiny norman said:
Superaintit said:
then it could be a young group of hackers trying out stuff that others made.
Don't think it's anything as clever as hackers: it's just simple cut and paste spamming.

Superaintit said:
From a technical point of view, the why is because there hasn't been anybody yet with the technical skill to prevent many posts in a short time
I thought this site had some kind of spam filtering, which occasionally blocks 'innocent' posters from putting up genuine links or pix or whatever. Can't see how it manages to block 'normal' users, yet apparently lets multispammers sail through. Baffling!
One problem with automated spam filtering, is that it is dependent on a human first creating the rules, which will block all the types of spam, that that human can imagine/visualise.

The spammers will then try many different forms of spam attack, until they discover a form that gets through the spam filter.

Having now identified the successful form of spam, the spammer will bombard a site with many copies of the spam, until the spam filter rules are updated. The spam filter rules are updated by either a technical specialist, or the cheaper haymarket solution is to use a spam filter which uses Artificial Intelligence techniques, to learn what is spam and then update the rules. A problem with the AI approach is that it can be slow to learn, and not very intelligent (so it blocks legit posters as well).
 

spiny norman

New member
Jan 14, 2009
293
0
0
expat_mike said:
The spam filter rules are updated by either a technical specialist, or the cheaper haymarket solution is to use a spam filter which uses Artificial Intelligence techniques, to learn what is spam and then update the rules. A problem with the AI approach is that it can be slow to learn, and not very intelligent (so it blocks legit posters as well).
You may be overthinking: there are not too many signs of intelligence of any kind in the running of this site
 

spiny norman

New member
Jan 14, 2009
293
0
0
Joe Cox said:
Kind words as always, Norman.
The Kraken awakes! ;-)

I was of course referring to the operation of the spam filtering, which even you must admit is all over the place, and has been for a very long time now, despite repeated spamming attacks. They keep getting through, while genuine users appear to continue to have problems posting. So something is clearly amiss, with no ability (or will?) to fix it.
 

gel

Moderator
spiny norman said:
Joe Cox said:
Kind words as always, Norman.
The Kraken awakes! ;-)

I was of course referring to the operation of the spam filtering, which even you must admit is all over the place, and has been for a very long time now, despite repeated spamming attacks. They keep getting through, while genuine users appear to continue to have problems posting. So something is clearly amiss, with no ability (or will?) to fix it.
Who cares about spam anyway, ban him Joe!
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,232
4
19,195
gel said:
Who cares about spam anyway, ban him Joe!
Answer to the spam question:- At the very least, those who wrote the forum rules care about it.

Regarding your request to ban Spiny Norman:- Is that because he was critical of the site's anti-spam software? Or because you've had disagreements with him? Why?
 

spiny norman

New member
Jan 14, 2009
293
0
0
chebby said:
Answer to the spam question:- At the very least, those who wrote the forum rules care about it.

Regarding your request to ban Spiny Norman:- Is that because he was critical of the site's anti-spam software? Or because you've had disagreements with him? Why?
Gel gets very protective if anyone criticises the site's anti-spam software, especially when it's clearly working so well. ;-)
 

gel

Moderator
spiny norman said:
chebby said:
Answer to the spam question:- At the very least, those who wrote the forum rules care about it.

Regarding your request to ban Spiny Norman:- Is that because he was critical of the site's anti-spam software? Or because you've had disagreements with him? Why?
Gel gets very protective if anyone criticises the site's anti-spam software, especially when it's clearly working so well. ;-)
No offence meant Norman.
 

gel

Moderator
gel said:
spiny norman said:
chebby said:
Answer to the spam question:- At the very least, those who wrote the forum rules care about it.

Regarding your request to ban Spiny Norman:- Is that because he was critical of the site's anti-spam software? Or because you've had disagreements with him? Why?
Gel gets very protective if anyone criticises the site's anti-spam software, especially when it's clearly working so well. ;-)
No offence meant Norman.
It was also pretty obvious that I was just messing about and that you obviously not going to get banned.
 

spiny norman

New member
Jan 14, 2009
293
0
0
gel said:
It was also pretty obvious that I was just messing about and that you obviously not going to get banned.
Thank you for showing me mercy: I feel like an enormous weight has been lifted from my shoulders, and will now go about my day with a renewed spring in my step.
 

gel

Moderator
spiny norman said:
gel said:
It was also pretty obvious that I was just messing about and that you obviously not going to get banned.
Thank you for showing me mercy: I feel like an enormous weight has been lifted from my shoulders, and will now go about my day with a renewed spring in my step.
Thats good Norman.
 

Al ears

Moderator
spiny norman said:
gel said:
It was also pretty obvious that I was just messing about and that you obviously not going to get banned.
Thank you for showing me mercy: I feel like an enormous weight has been lifted from my shoulders, and will now go about my day with a renewed spring in my step.
Just don't go frightening Dinsdale. ;-)
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts