• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

whats the most expensive system you have listened to ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

plus 1

Dec 5, 2019
Some of it is crazy and I walk past with diminishing returns. So I wouldn’t actually stop to listen to something really expensive. Often it doesn’t so much sound really different. Not talking normal expensive level like dCS Bartok (better than Dave btw) but when you get naim statement amp crazy prices and all that rubbish. It’s stupid.
a lot of the expense is in the looks / build and not sound quality then.

Simon 13th note

Jul 27, 2020
Yes, even in a dCS the alu costs thousands. In Dan d’agnostino the alum is over ten thousand. Its ostentatious HiFi for people who want to brag. DCS could make units much cheaper.

plus 1

Dec 5, 2019
Yes, even in a dCS the alu costs thousands. In Dan d’agnostino the alum is over ten thousand. Its ostentatious HiFi for people who want to brag. DCS could make units much cheaper.
dcs produced the vivaldi 1 a single box sacd player at i believe 55k.

how much do you think the actual cost of that unit was to make ?

Simon 13th note

Jul 27, 2020
£5k Max. But it’s the ring dac tech and development you pay for, but is it worth it?. The case is the biggest cost contributor. the circuit components cost Relatively nothing. I went around the factory. They only produce low numbers - see my article. But whatever they Still sell to the snob hifi ist type that doesn’t consider diminishing returns . For everyday sensible audiophiles, even if you have a mill or more in the bank, crazy HiFi. the issue is whether this is worth it, and I still think people in audiophile circles think it is because it’s out of scope. the ‘I can’t touch’ factor. but everyone should rest assured this type of HiFi isn’t where the sensible brains and music lovers are. It’s like paying Gordon Ramsey 10k to do a dinner party because he could command those prices, even though it would be limited difference to a local italian. the Bartok was good, but do you get diminishing returns for the cash. Hugely. and by that I mean the perfomance per dollar goes down and down.

plus 1

Dec 5, 2019
£5k Max. But it’s the ring dac tech and development you pay for, but is it worth it?. The case is the biggest cost contributor. the circuit components cost Relatively nothing. I went around the factory. They only produce low numbers - see my article. But whatever they Still sell to the snob hifi ist type that doesn’t consider diminishing returns . For everyday sensible audiophiles, even if you have a mill or more in the bank, crazy HiFi. the issue is whether this is worth it, and I still think people in audiophile circles think it is because it’s out of scope. the ‘I can’t touch’ factor. but everyone should rest assured this type of HiFi isn’t where the sensible brains and music lovers are. It’s like paying Gordon Ramsey 10k to do a dinner party because he could command those prices, even though it would be limited difference to a local italian. the Bartok was good, but do you get diminishing returns for the cash. Hugely. and by that I mean the perfomance per dollar goes down and down.
thats an excellent reply - i really appreciate it.

if i had lots of money (i dont sadly) i like the look of the esoteric k1x player, but as you clearly have explained above, a lot of expense based on factors not related to sound quality.

post of the month !

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts