whats the most expensive system you have listened to ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 188516

Some of it is crazy and I walk past with diminishing returns. So I wouldn’t actually stop to listen to something really expensive. Often it doesn’t so much sound really different. Not talking normal expensive level like dCS Bartok (better than Dave btw) but when you get naim statement amp crazy prices and all that rubbish. It’s stupid.

a lot of the expense is in the looks / build and not sound quality then.

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
Yes, even in a dCS the alu costs thousands. In Dan d’agnostino the alum is over ten thousand. Its ostentatious HiFi for people who want to brag. DCS could make units much cheaper.

D

Deleted member 188516

Yes, even in a dCS the alu costs thousands. In Dan d’agnostino the alum is over ten thousand. Its ostentatious HiFi for people who want to brag. DCS could make units much cheaper.

dcs produced the vivaldi 1 a single box sacd player at i believe 55k.

how much do you think the actual cost of that unit was to make ?

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
£5k Max. But it’s the ring dac tech and development you pay for, but is it worth it?. The case is the biggest cost contributor. the circuit components cost Relatively nothing. I went around the factory. They only produce low numbers - see my article. But whatever they Still sell to the snob hifi ist type that doesn’t consider diminishing returns . For everyday sensible audiophiles, even if you have a mill or more in the bank, crazy HiFi. the issue is whether this is worth it, and I still think people in audiophile circles think it is because it’s out of scope. the ‘I can’t touch’ factor. but everyone should rest assured this type of HiFi isn’t where the sensible brains and music lovers are. It’s like paying Gordon Ramsey 10k to do a dinner party because he could command those prices, even though it would be limited difference to a local italian. the Bartok was good, but do you get diminishing returns for the cash. Hugely. and by that I mean the perfomance per dollar goes down and down.

D

Deleted member 188516

£5k Max. But it’s the ring dac tech and development you pay for, but is it worth it?. The case is the biggest cost contributor. the circuit components cost Relatively nothing. I went around the factory. They only produce low numbers - see my article. But whatever they Still sell to the snob hifi ist type that doesn’t consider diminishing returns . For everyday sensible audiophiles, even if you have a mill or more in the bank, crazy HiFi. the issue is whether this is worth it, and I still think people in audiophile circles think it is because it’s out of scope. the ‘I can’t touch’ factor. but everyone should rest assured this type of HiFi isn’t where the sensible brains and music lovers are. It’s like paying Gordon Ramsey 10k to do a dinner party because he could command those prices, even though it would be limited difference to a local italian. the Bartok was good, but do you get diminishing returns for the cash. Hugely. and by that I mean the perfomance per dollar goes down and down.

thats an excellent reply - i really appreciate it.

if i had lots of money (i dont sadly) i like the look of the esoteric k1x player, but as you clearly have explained above, a lot of expense based on factors not related to sound quality.

post of the month !

record_spot

Maybe back in 2009, or thereabouts, I popped in to Loud and Clear in Edinburgh and having chatted a while, mainly the impact of the crash on the economy and disposable income for hifi at the time, the guy mentioned he'd just sold his third DCS Scarlatti CD player/DAC/clock/power supply setup of the year (about £60ks worth at the time). By chance, would I like to hear it - he knew I wasn't looking to buy as I hate wasting a dealer's time - and showed me through to one of the demo rooms. Wilson Audio speakers and I can't recall what amp offhand, but you're looking at about £100ks worth of hifi.

It sounded alright, nothing special, no whizz bang moment. In terms of enjoyment, I've had greater enjoyment from stereos costing far, far less. Looked nice right enough!

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Listening to high-end expensive systems can be a dangerous game. In the 90s, after years of not being able to afford a system I finally managed to cobble together some mostly secondhand kit - Pioneer A400, Marantz CD60SE, first generation Cambridge DacMagic and some Musical Fidelity MC4s (still use them). The jewel in the crown was a new Pink Triangle LPT with an RB250 and Nagaoka Stilton TS11 cartridge. I thought my system sounded the dog's wotsits. One day a mate invited me round to listen to his new system - a Nottingham Analogue turntable, a hefty valve amp (can't remember what) that precluded the need to wear anything other than vest and pants and a pair of Tannoy Westminster speakers that sat there like a couple of wardrobes. My mate put on a couple of simple Scott Walker albums and my jaw hit the floor. I was stunned, I had never heard such a glorious sound. I went home, tried to listen to my system but by comparison it sounded like a transistor radio. Took me a month before I could listen again.

Winter

Oct 28, 2019
Visit site
Ok don t know the exact details ok but this is back late 70s ok . Linn sondek ittok top notch cartridge at that time ? Niam amps power plus ? Quad speakers . In a hi fi shop demo playing led zep 3 . Requested tulls broadsword album . Err hang on so powerfull so real awsome simply great !!! Settled for linn sondek .linn bassic arm shure 75 cartridge . Niam nait amp linn basic speakers .
Hey. Did me fine.!

I've never been to a show.
I've barely ever been in a Hi-Fi shop
and bought practically everything online. or bought and collected without trying them first.

between my own set-up and a good friends, thats it for listening experience.
he has some old Kef Reference Speakers, Simaudio CD Player, and Michell Gyro SE.
I would say the Gyro is something i would happily own.
but my current level of kit is probably my sweet spot and i can't see me going any further.

and bought practically everything online. or bought and collected without trying them first.

he has some old Kef Reference Speakers, Simaudio CD Player, and Michell Gyro SE.
but my current level of kit is probably my sweet spot and i can't see me going any further.
What works, works.
I have heard some nice expensive systems but I know for a fact that I could never afford them and also they would never work well in the house I currently have, so whatever they may cost, there is no point lusting after them ......
until I win the lottery and can afford a listening room the size of your average barn..... :)
I did work out a while ago what my system would cost of I had to buy it all again but at the original RRP. I was amazed. So the most expensive system I have heard, that actually works well in my room, is the one I currently own

Last edited:

Friesiansam

When I bought my first hifi kit in the early to mid eighties, there was no online option. In recent years I have only bought online but, always checked the returns policy before buying, so I can return without hassle if something isn't right for me.

BTW, to answer the question, the most expensive kit I have listened to is the DAC/headphone amp and headphones I am using now. Listening to flash kit would only make me want things I can't afford, just like reading hifi websites...

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts