Whats the best way to connect a humax foxsat hdr

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I live in a rented flat, last summer the aeriel was upgraded with a communal satellite dish, & i have two F plug sockets, when i first bought the humax foxsat hdr i had one cable going to the tv (PZ81) & the other cable going into the humax which was fine but i only had one tuner working in the humax, i now have two cables going into the humax & a cable from the humax to the tv, the problem is i can't watch ITV HD without having the humax switched on & i don't want the tv & the humax running off the same aeriel.

My question is:-

1) is it okay to run one cable to the tv & then get a satellite splitter from maplin to run two cables to the humax.

or

2)As stated in the manual to loop the cable from the humax. (connecting one end to the output & the other end to the input).

daveh75

slewis: My question is:- 1) is it okay to run one cable to the tv & then get a satellite splitter from maplin to run two cables to the humax. or 2)As stated in the manual to loop the cable from the humax. (connecting one end to the output & the other end to the input).

1) No, you cant split a satellite in the same way as you can a terrestrial aerial signal.

2) Yes and no, it does work but with limited functionality. The limited functionality being... beacause satellite signals are broadcast on horizontal and vertical polarities and also in groups(aka mux's or bloc's) it means that if you use the loop through facility and you were watching a program broadcast on a particular polarity/group,you would only be able to record another program on the same polarity and group at the same time.

For example, if you were watching a BBC channel you would only be able to record another bbc channel at the same time as they're on the same polarity/group,but you couldn't watch a bbc channel and record a itv channel at the same time as ther on different polarity/mux's

A

Anonymous

You'll still have the use of two tuners, even though you only have the one line in - as Daveh75 says. I'm in the same situation as you for the time but find there aren't too many occasions when I'm not able to record two programmes at the same time. The box automatically choses a different channel on some occasions, where BBC broadcasts are involved. I don't take particular notice, but it's something like I've set the box to record two programmes at the same time, and I find that instead of recording the one from BBC Wales (my local station) it records from BBC Channel Islands instead (for example), to avoid a conflict.

TRENDING THREADS