What's the best pairing for Wharfedale Evo 4.4 speakers?

Shillocks

Sep 9, 2020
Visit site
Hi all. After 10 years with my trusty current setup of Monitor Audio Bronze BX2, Marantz PM6003, CD6003 and Rega planar 2. I am finally looking to upgrade. I've got my heart set on the Wharfedale Evo 4.4 speakers. However I'm not sure what the best amplifier pairing would be. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? Nowadays I mainly stream my music for convinience but when in the mood I still love to pop on a CD or some vinyl. My music taste is mainly rock and folk if that helps.

Shillocks

Sep 9, 2020
Visit site
I suppose I hadn't thought about that. I assumed that buying considerably more expensive and hopefully better speakers warranted an upgrade to the amplification. My current setup has served me well but since moving to a larger property the sound doesn't feel as big anymore, especially at lower volumes.

Hi all. After 10 years with my trusty current setup of Monitor Audio Bronze BX2, Marantz PM6003, CD6003 and Rega planar 2. I am finally looking to upgrade. I've got my heart set on the Wharfedale Evo 4.4 speakers. However I'm not sure what the best amplifier pairing would be. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? Nowadays I mainly stream my music for convinience but when in the mood I still love to pop on a CD or some vinyl. My music taste is mainly rock and folk if that helps.
Firstly, the Marantz should be fine as long as you don't need to play at nightclub levels.

More of a pressing question is why are you going from a compact standmounted speaker in the BX2 to the largest floorstander in the range? They offer two standmounts and a compact floorstanding speaker (4.1, 4.2 & 4.3). Those smaller speakers would seem more suitable.

Firstly, the Marantz should be fine as long as you don't need to play at nightclub levels.

More of a pressing question is why are you going from a compact standmounted speaker in the BX2 to the largest floorstander in the range? They offer two standmounts and a compact floorstanding speaker (4.1, 4.2 & 4.3). Those smaller speakers would seem more suitable.
Note he does say he has moved to a bigger property.....

I suppose I hadn't thought about that. I assumed that buying considerably more expensive and hopefully better speakers warranted an upgrade to the amplification. My current setup has served me well but since moving to a larger property the sound doesn't feel as big anymore, especially at lower volumes.
Odd though it may seem the Wharfdales ( nice looking speakers in my opinion) are very nearly as efficient as your MA's so current amp should drive them just fine.
Should you really want to spend out on a new one I would recommend you try to audition:-
1/ Marantz PM8006 £924, if you like the Marantz house sound.
2/ Rega Elex-R £949 if you want fast and agile with good phono stage
3/ or my personal favourite, the Creek Evolution 50A with optional Sequel Mk3 phono board £929

Shillocks

Sep 9, 2020
Visit site
Thanks very much for your reply. Our old living room was very small (think tiny cottage) and the new places living room is practically twice the size. The bass on the Monitor Audios gets a bit lost in the larger room hence the move for something bigger. Again thanks for the recommendations. I hadn't looked at the Rega or Creek amp so that gives me something else to look at. I really quite enjoy the research.

Reactions: Al ears
Thanks very much for your reply. Our old living room was very small (think tiny cottage) and the new places living room is practically twice the size. The bass on the Monitor Audios gets a bit lost in the larger room hence the move for something bigger. Again thanks for the recommendations. I hadn't looked at the Rega or Creek amp so that gives me something else to look at. I really quite enjoy the research.
Have fun!

Note he does say he has moved to a bigger property.....
Whoops. Missed that bit.
I know the OP seems to be attracted to the EVOs, I would look to see if he can eek more out of his current speakers.

Last year I heard some Kef R300 powered by a £300 Yamaha integrated in a large room. They sounded really good -- room fillers. They sounded much better on my amp.

I would suggest something like a Pulse or Creek or Roksan Kandy will give the BX2 more heft than his Marantz 6003.

Reactions: Al ears
Whoops. Missed that bit.
I know the OP seems to be attracted to the EVOs, I would look to see if he can eek more out of his current speakers.

Last year I heard some Kef R300 powered by a £300 Yamaha integrated in a large room. They sounded really good -- room fillers. They sounded much better on my amp.

I would suggest something like a Pulse or Creek or Roksan Kandy will give the BX2 more heft than his Marantz 6003.
I'd agree it could be a way to go however it might depend on the actual size of his new listening room, the BX2 will only fill so much even with the likes of these amps

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts