whats the best complete system youve ever had at any price

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

matthewpiano said:
the record spot said:
matthewpiano said:
It all depends what basis 'best' is judged on. Ideally for me, the 'best' hi-fi system is the one that brings you the most musical enjoyment. On that basis I would say probably one of my early systems - possibly the Sony CDP-597, Pioneer PL12D, Rotel RA920AX, and B&W DM302s.

Of systems I've had in recent years I'd probably pick out a NAD C521BEE/C325BEE combo with Mordaunt-Short MS902i, or one of the Marantz set-ups I've had - CD/PM6003 with Dali Lektor 2s or the MCR610.

No word of the Exposure amp and Dynaudio speakers MP?

As I said I'm not sure that the most important consideration is which is the best in 'hi-fi' terms. For me it is more about which system has been a helpful and involving partner in exploring and enjoying the widest range of music and as yet the systems I mention above have done that the most.

As it happens the Dynaudios are running in rather nicely now...

Thanks MP, has the Exposure amp been swapped out or still going with it? I always fear the worst when your signature goes after what seems like a stable period!

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
my current system blows the bejesus out of anything under 5 grand and quite franky is the best system i have ever put together... and now i can concentrate on music.... thats what its all about.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
theres some really nice systems on here guys at all different prices and nice to read that some systems from the past are still getting mentioned

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
MickyBlue said:
my current system blows the bejesus out of anything under 5 grand and quite franky is the best system i have ever put together... and now i can concentrate on music.... thats what its all about.

should hope so too! It's worth £5K

SJCT99

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Well the best soundings home cinema system I ever had was Arcam Solo Movie 5.1 with Kef KHT9000 sub sat system which sounded amazing and had equally amazing build quality, even though I really don't think that the term satellite speakers works when the speakers weighs 10kg each with dimensions of 555 x 250 x 125mm! Why haven't I still got this system? Simple answer not enough space and they're not family friendly! Am I the only one that has had to reduce the size of their speakers at the detriment to sound quality to work with family life?

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
As with most it's my current setup. I did borrow a hicap dr for a short spell which sounded special when connected to the cdp, next step I think

kev g

Mar 4, 2008
Visit site
My current set up.

I have just bought some second hand Chord Epic cable & it has balanced out the system beautifully :rockout:

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Without a doubt it is the system I have now. Strangely it is also the cheapest system I have owned. A £310 amp and £70 speakers plus another £100 or so for all the cables. This is the first time I have genuinely been completely happy with my hifi. I now listen to my music and not my components.:grin:

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
thats a good reply james as with me its my cheapest system ever and at he moment my best pound for sound system (certainly in past few years) just goes to show you dont have to spend a fortune.......

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
audioaddict said:
thats a good reply james as with me its my cheapest system ever and at he moment my best pound for sound system (certainly in past few years) just goes to show you dont have to spend a fortune.......

Quite right. The synergy between your components is far more important than just throwing money at a bunch of different components and expecting it to sound good. I have also found that avoiding the mainstream 5 star products and going for lesser known products has resulted in a gorgeous sounding system.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Cobbled together a system for what used to be an office; not that I ever did much work as I was too busy listening to records.

Linn Axis tt with AT 110e cart

Nad 3130 used as a preamp

Quad 306 amp

Marantz CD-52 Mk11

Monitor Audio Br2 speakers.

All of the above had been replaced by other more expensive items in that ridiculous quest for better sound. It's a small room so it doesn't need a whole lot of amp or speaker clout. Sound is airy, spacious with controlled bass and excellent stereo imaging and that's with speakers far too close to a rear wall. The Br2's, which can sound congested, are a revelation which, imo, refutes the idea that speakers are the most important component of a system; nope, it's the source, phono stage and amplification that determine how the speakers perform, even if they're fairly cheap boxes. On paper, I've got better stuff than this, but this sounds tonally balanced and very detailed. So there you go.

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
audioaddict said:
thats a good point actually and like the look of your system, and youve got a technics component in your system....cool

Im really chuffed with the cd player. It was only £20 and although not the last word in detail retrieval, it is a very listenable piece of kit. My amp I adore and I recently lent it to a friend with a Cyrus 8 xpd QX and he said the NVA had it beat on detail and said it was a joy to listen to. I will be moving up the NVA ladder as funds allow but I am very happy with what I have. My speakers were a bargin and although they don't have much WAF they sound super. I would urge anyone to give them a try for the bargin prices they go for. I do intend to modify mine and will be steel lining the cabinets soon.

How do you find your sl 1200?

matthewpiano

Jim-W said:
Cobbled together a system for what used to be an office; not that I ever did much work as I was too busy listening to records.

Linn Axis tt with AT 110e cart

Nad 3130 used as a preamp

Quad 306 amp

Marantz CD-52 Mk11

Monitor Audio Br2 speakers.

All of the above had been replaced by other more expensive items in that ridiculous quest for better sound. It's a small room so it doesn't need a whole lot of amp or speaker clout. Sound is airy, spacious with controlled bass and excellent stereo imaging and that's with speakers far too close to a rear wall. The Br2's, which can sound congested, are a revelation which, imo, refutes the idea that speakers are the most important component of a system; nope, it's the source, phono stage and amplification that determine how the speakers perform, even if they're fairly cheap boxes. On paper, I've got better stuff than this, but this sounds tonally balanced and very detailed. So there you go.

I can imagine that sounding very nice.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
my sl1200 is just my fave pice of kit and even if i went back to a more high system i would have to have the deck modified to bring it more in line with the rest of the system as i.d find it hard to get rid of it....and no I.m saying its the best turntable ever but when you love a piece of kit what can you do............by the way your system for your office looks a lovely system....especially that marantz cd player.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts