Whats my next upgrade?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am currently running the following.... Cyrus CD6 Cyrus Amp 8 vs Focal JM-Lan 714s I am not looking for specific improvement in anyone area, I listen to a very wide variety of music, but quite a lot of fast paced club style house music as I'm a DJ. Looking for the next upgrade don't have masses to spend, but would be interested in views on whether adding a PSX-R to either CD player or Amp will help? Or whether I should look at having either upgraded or should I be looking for better speakers? Cheers in advance, plus this is also my first post, so hello to everyone!!! :)

A

Anonymous

Hello!

IMO the strongest part of your setup is the speakers! Focal make great speakers across their range and will do justice to kit well above thjeir own price point.

I would take advantage of the strong resale value of your Cyrus kit and look at changing amp and CDP.

I seem to recommend this a lot but I would look at maybe a Creek EVO CDP and EVO amp or, if you could push to it, a Sugden A21a amp. Ignore what people say about the low 'on paper' power of the Sugden, I've heard that amp with those speakers many a time with all sorts of music. Makes me happy every time!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="BigGuads"]I would take advantage of the strong resale value of your Cyrus kit and look at changing amp and CDP. I seem to recommend this a lot but I would look at maybe a Creek EVO CDP and EVO amp or, if you could push to it, a Sugden A21a amp.[/quote]

I certainly would'nt do that. Perhaps change your cyruse's for the latest 8 versions if you dont have those already. Adding a psx will 'tidy' up the sound and give firmer bass. The sugden sounds very clear, sweet but boring, thin and without any drive/punch. You have a nice system which you like. Keep it. The Evo's are, if not downgrading, a move sidewards.

A

Anonymous

I would definitely not describe it as a sideways move and the Sugden is as far from boring as you can get at that price! Plenty of drive and punch! Each to their own though...

A

Anonymous

Upgrade the mains cables before spending more on new components.
If you dont hear an improvement you can send them back for refund - most manufacturers offer a 60 day trial period.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies, I don't really want to move away from the Cyrus stuff as I have limited space on my rack for more traditional sized boxes. Does anyone know what it would cost to upgrade the CD6 and 8vs Amp to the latest 8 versions?

A

Anonymous

Have a look at this...

http://www.cyrusaudio.com/cms_downloads/CyrusCDUpgradePriceList2008.pdf

A

Anonymous

If you dont want to get rid of the Cyrus gear, Id say there are two clear upgrade paths that you can take based on the fact that I agree your speakers are good enough to keep at moment:

1. Add a DAC-X and use the CD6 as a transport. Expensive, but there are x-demo deals about which are good.

2. Add a Cyrus power amp (Cyrus power 8 or even better, X Power if you can afford it) and use your Cyrus 8 as a pre. The 8 as a pre is nearly impossible to tell a difference against the Cyrus purpose built pre-amp. You can also mess about with using the 8 to power the tweeters in a bi-amp set-up.

Given your music preference, Id say 2. is the best. Will give more weight and punch to your bass lines.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts