Whats More Important? A New DAC OR New Speakers?

abookcase

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone!

In a bit of a dilema here. I currently do not have a DAC in my Hifi System - and have got some v old speakers and I am looking to upgrade something to increase sound quality:

Amplifier: Marantz PM6004

Interconnect: Chord Chrimson Plus

Speaker Cable: Chord SilverScreen

Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 3's (1980's)

DAC: Non-existent. But do have a £40 External Sound-Card.

I play music from my computer (Spotify) via. an external sound card (Creative Surround X-Fi) in my bedroom (4m x 3.5m) which has inclining walls (if that makes a difference!).

My question is: Should I upgrade my speakers first, or buy a DAC of which I do not currently have?

I have been looking at the HRT Music Streamer II / DacMagic (100)? Alternativly some KEF Q300's or Wharfedale 10.2's?

Any help here is much appreciated. Thanks,

Charlie.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
How much do you want to spend?

The amp is a nice piece of kit and deserves good speakers and a good source.
If you could come up with enough money, a dac and speakers would be the best upgrade.

In pc terms, your soundcard is quite good, but I doubt the built-in dac is up to par with your amp. A stand alone dac would really make it sing.
And your speakers were great in their glory days, but the Diamond 10.1 is alot better now and doesn't cost that much.

Dali Zensor1 is a great speaker too.

If you can stretch your budget, you could get Monitor Audio BX1 or RX1, B&W 685, Kef Q300,...

Those walls will probably make bass sound boomy with rear ported speakers, so beware of that. Auditioning at home is recommended.

So, it all depends on your budget.

abookcase

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Kevin,

I don't really want to be spending more than £150 all in at the moment - the plan is to build it up slowly over time.

Would you say get the Wharfedale diamond 10.1/2's or a DAC first?

Alo which DAC (so many!) - HRT Music Streamer II or the DacMagic?

A

Anonymous

Upgrade the speakers first. Some decent new or 2nd hand speakers will more than likely give you an upgrade in sound immediately. Then look to go for a DAC IMO!

A

Anonymous

I say that because speakers have changed in styles and sound a lot in the past years so some later/newer speakers will more than likely give you a change in sound etc...

Then I would look to add a DAC as the 'icing on the cake' so to speak.

This is just how I would do it etc...

IIRC your speakers are a fairly compact standmounter; if you were to step up to the likes of some Monitor Audiop BX2's or Dali Lektor 2's (top end of budget standmount speakers) or even the B&W 685's, Monitor Audio RX1's or KEF Q300's (mid-priced 'midrange' speakers) then I feel you'd get a lot more from your system than you are doing currently

Your amp immediately deserves some better speakers; at a minimum I'd be looking at the M/A BX2's, Dali Zensor 1's or Lektor 2's etc...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It's always hard to call what someone else's priority will be, but I would probably go the other way. If you like the presentation of your current speakers (and they are in good shape), I would go for the HRT Music Streamer....just to play "devils advocate".

abookcase

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just found some KEF Q100 for £200 - used, new @ Christmas - a worthy purchase with the Marantz pm6004 instead of the Q300's?

Front-ports as well which would suit being close to a wall as in my bedroom.

Thanks,

Charlie.

A

Anonymous

I'd go for the M/A BX2's over the KEF Q100's personally

The Q300's are very good speakers but I just didnt get on with the Q100's; too light and tinny at the top end whereas the M/A BX2's are a lot more rounded with a fuller soundstage

Front ported also so will be fine for what you're after

A

Anonymous

I don't think you can significantly improve on your current speakers with just 150 pounds. So, I'd go for the DAC.

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
The beresford DAC's are pretty good from my experiance and are in your price range. I happen to have an X-Fi soundcard, its now connected to an external DAC (Beresford Camian) via TOSlink and made a big difference versus plugging Headphones into the soundcard. Before connecting it to my HiFi I used it with a nice pair of headphones (has a headphone amp built in).

T

the record spot

What do you think is wrong with the sound of your current system that's leading you to change the speakers or DAC? The short answer is the speakers generally make the greater difference, but it depends what sound you're looking for.

abookcase

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The speakers are still working fine - little bit dirty etc, but tweeters all in tact and sound is fine (although are rear ported).

I actually just unplugged the X-Fi soundcard and it actually sounds better through the laptop soundcard haha - havent actually tried it before lol as I bought the soundcard with use for my old laptop.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
abookcase said:
I actually just unplugged the X-Fi soundcard and it actually sounds better through the laptop soundcard haha - havent actually tried it before lol as I bought the soundcard with use for my old laptop.

That's no surprise. Those HP Envys (if not all HPs) have a nice soundcard built in. "Beats audio" may not be the best name, it actually sounds really nice.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

i would highly recommend getting a new dac or sound card. i had an efi but sent it back. i use a roland quad capture (stereo) and the difference it made was unbelieveable. however saying that i already had good speakers

abookcase

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
moozer said:
Hi,

i would highly recommend getting a new dac or sound card. i had an efi but sent it back. i use a roland quad capture (stereo) and the difference it made was unbelieveable. however saying that i already had good speakers

Hi Moozer,

Is the Quad capture effectivly a whole soundcard with a DAC built in? What would be the difference between this and the HRT Music Streamer II?

Thanks,

Charlie.

Sliced Bread

Tricky.
I'd normally say speakers, but in this case (assuming your current speakers are ok) a source maybe the way forward.

You've got a good amp and while I'm not familiar with your speakers i'd guess that they are better than your current source.

If it were my money, I'd go dac.

If you buy one online you can always return it.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
abookcase said:
Thanks Kevin,

I don't really want to be spending more than £150 all in at the moment - the plan is to build it up slowly over time.

Would you say get the Wharfedale diamond 10.1/2's or a DAC first?

Alo which DAC (so many!) - HRT Music Streamer II or the DacMagic?

I do think you'll be better off spending on speakers at this point.

Having said that, if you are keen on a dac you should know that I currently own both the HRT Music Streamer 2 + (note the plus) and the DacMagic. The Music Streamer 2 is not as good as the DacMagic, having said that the Music Streamer 2+ is very similar to the DacMagic. If you are chosing between the MS 2 and the DacMagic, id suggest going for the DacMagic, it sounds way better through the optical inputs. If you are choosing between the MS 2+ and the DacMagic, things are different. The MS 2+ is more dynamic than the DacMagic, with more detail as well. The DacMagic on the other hand, sounds smoother and better for longer listening sessions. The MS2+ wouldn't complement a bright set-up, the Dacmagic will. However, the DacMagic has greater number of inputs to better accomodate an expanding setup.

abookcase

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks. I think ill throw another into the mix - the Arcam rDAC - which I can get at £220 delivered Brand New, and possibly the Beresford Caiman gatorized. However I hear the beresford is not so good through the USB input which is what ill be using for my PC?

So - I think getting a DAC is the way to go first, according to the majority here - question is which one for my setup:

HRT Music Streamer II

DacMagic - possibly wait till 100 comes out.

Arcam rDAC

Beresford Caimen (Gatorized)

Thanks all in advance for helping me with this - it is much appreciated!

T

the record spot

If you're looking at separate DACs, then I'll add the Firestone Audio Spitfire II to the mix. Cracking little unit with upgrades available. £250 from Elevation Audio in Doncaster.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
If you want a big change, go for speakers. £150 can get you a lot of second hand speaker.

For example, Rega R1s can be had for £100, work well near rear walls and will sound miles better than the MA ones mentioned, the Kef Q100's are also miles better than the 'floorstanders' like MA BX2, or B&W models.

Oldies but goodies like Tannoy DC1000 or DC2000, Ruark Templars can also be had under £150.

Do some research :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts