Whats happening with this forum....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Paul.

Well how about sticking to completely finite and factual questions. No HDMI, no mentioning the 'A' word, no questions of interpretation or opinion, just how to. I.e. 'this is how you hook up A to B' or 'these are your consumer rights'.

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
Going back to the original question, could it simply be that there isn't much to learn/argue about just now. There have not been any new paradigms in the way we listen to music for some time: streaming has become mainstream; 3D TV and high resolution music have turned out to be damp squibs. Nothing to get excited about; just gradual improvements in equipment and variations on the same themes.

Maybe we are all just happily listening to our music and watching TV on the equipment we have.

Andrew

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I drift in and out these days. Partly as I'm busier at work, but partly when the subjective/objective debate gets too much. There is a period every so often where posters are asked to prove any opinion - and equally, proof is derided as irrelevant - that every thread eventually descends to the same place. It's like a kind of Godwin's Law.

Equally, my knowledge is limited and of a narrow subject area, so I don't want to give anyone duff information.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback folks, welcome as always. Earlier this year we took a deliberate decision to focus on delivering more in-depth reviews online first, which now takes up an increasing amount of our time. So we appointed five external moderators to look after the Forums. I post when I can, and Clare is still heavily involved, as is John D.

But remember, we largely have to do this in our spare time, there are only so many hours in the day and the website is still free... :)

daveg56

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Andy, and I understand the rationale. What would really help I think is simply improving the forum engine, which would make the user experience more enjoyable.

A couple of things that bugs me is the poor searching functionality on it and I would love to get a notification if a new post occurs on a thread that I have contributed to, without having to check on the site. I find the TechRadar Forum (and their whole site in general) is a good example of a well-designed forum, as well as news, reviews and provides RSS feeds.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
What a depressing week nothing on the telly, & i've never seen these forums so quiet before, oh well bissell blockbuster on ideal world at 12:00 mid-day at least i have something to look forward to.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
simonlewis said:
What a depressing week nothing on the telly, & i've never seen these forums so quiet before, oh well bissell blockbuster on ideal world at 12:00 mid-day at least i have something to look forward to.

Get a Humax*. Fill it up with all the good stuff that's on when you are out/at work/in bed/watching something on another channel etc. You can skip all the ads too. (If you watch stuff with ads.)

I have not watched anything that either my wife or I don't like (nor had to watch an advert) since we bought one.

*Other PVRs are available and i'm sure Sky/Virgin et al have boxes that do the same thing.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
Get a Humax*. Fill it up with all the good stuff that's on when you are out/at work/in bed/watching something on another channel etc.

Tried that. It soon filled up with desperate housewives, x-factor, apprentice etc

John Duncan

chebby said:
simonlewis said:

Get a Humax*. Fill it up with all the good stuff that's on when you are out/at work/in bed/watching something on another channel etc. You can skip all the ads too. (If you watch stuff with ads.)

I have not watched anything that either my wife or I don't like (nor had to watch an advert) since we bought one.

*Other PVRs are available and i'm sure Sky/Virgin et al have boxes that do the same thing.

*I just got a Tivo from Virgin. Apart from the picture being a bit sh-t on SD it's great, though tbh for me its primary purpose is for pausing and rewinding, I don't think I've recorded anything yet. Haven't got enough time to watch what's on now...

idc

Between Sky + and BBC iPlayer, I cannot remember outwith the news the last time I watched somthing 'live' on the TV, or as Chebby said an advert.

I am surprised advertisers have not cottoned onto how simple it is to miss out adverts and made Sky do something about it. The adverts are a major source of revenue.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Advertisers know all about it; the canny ones, anyway.

It's why advertisers are doing more in-programme sponsorship/product placement, plus switching their traditional ad slots to 'event TV' programmes like sport, X-Factor etc that people are more likely to watch live.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
idc said:
I am surprised advertisers have not cottoned onto how simple it is to miss out adverts and made Sky do something about it. The adverts are a major source of revenue.

It's the same (in principle) as when we were all skipping ads with our VHS recordings. They couldn't do anything then and they can't do anything now.

Oh hang on, yes they can. Make far better quality/funnier/interesting ads that don't shout at you/insult you/patronise you/or give the impression that all ordinary woman ever do is sit in soft focus apartments in Tuscany admiring the smoothness of their own limbs (whilst eating desserts made from bacteria).

daveh75

idc said:

They have/are in the US. Echostar (Dish Network) are currently being sued by three of the largest TV networks for their ad-skipping PVRs.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
chebby said:
give the impression that all ordinary woman ever do is sit in soft focus apartments in Tuscany admiring the smoothness of their own limbs (whilst eating desserts made from bacteria).

Can you let me know what advert this is so I can look out for it?
No, it's all just an 8x blur nowadays. (Plus most of the ads are during my wife's viewing of 'Lewis' and 'Midsomer Slaughter'.)

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
John Duncan said:
chebby said:
give the impression that all ordinary woman ever do is sit in soft focus apartments in Tuscany admiring the smoothness of their own limbs (whilst eating desserts made from bacteria).

No, it's all just an 8x blur nowadays. (Plus most of the ads are during my wife's viewing of 'Lewis' and 'Midsomer Slaughter'.)
Don't you use the skip function rather than fast forward on your Fox T2?

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
In my head i'm composing a question about streaming music...i want to catalogue my cd's,and if poss blu-ray films.

I dont have a clue what i need,but when i do i'l ask for some advice......i think the forums are a wonderfull often entertaining read,even if i dont understand what the hell is going on,but i'm learning :oops:Long live WHFI i say :bounce:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Diamond Joe said:
chebby said:
John Duncan said:
chebby said:

Don't you use the skip function rather than fast forward on your Fox T2?
To be honest I hadn't tried. Does it reliably skip to the right place every time? (my old Panasonic DMR-EX78 would often skip to wherever the hell it wanted rather than the end of the ads.)

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
My Panasonic DMR-XS350 has a manual skip button which does one minute per press.

Four pushes of the button does the trick for 90 odd % of programmes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts