Whats happened to my sound?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Help!

I've just replaced some Proac Tablette 50 Signatures with a pair of 1SC's and have noticed some strange changes to the sound I am getting. Previously the sound was really balanced and neutral with pretty much every source. But I dont know what has happened. The new speakers sometimes sound unbelievable, with amazing clarity and depth of sound and there always sounds like there is so much happening. They probably lack a little low down, but i didn't buy them for their deep bass. Other times it sounds like some frequencies are completely missing, particularly with some TV channels. Maybe it's just a different sound that i need to get used to but i cant quite put my finger on it. I get the feeing the 1SC is definently a step up in performance over the Tablettes but dont know where the balance has gone.

I'm connected to Cyrus apa 7 mono blocks and aca7 pre, CD is Cyrus DAD 3Q. Streaming with Sonos. TV with Sky+

Speaker cable is QED profile 4x4, bi-wired at the speaker end, but not at the amp end (not sure why i've ended up like this)

Interconnects vary and are RCA between the Cyrus components.

Any suggestions to what has gone wrong please?

Mr Beachams

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Live with them for a month or three, give them time to loosen up....then change back to your old speakers and then choose....it could be as was said before you dont like 'm or they are so good they are showing up the sonic failings between all the various sources.

A

Anonymous

I hear what you are saying drummerman, that thought did occur to me. Problem with that is that sometimes I think the sound is awesome, especially the level of detail and sound staging. It's just on occasion something goes missing. Is there a simple way to test that all is tickety boo without buying clever sound meters or the like?

A

Anonymous

swapping them back isn't an option i'm afraid, the Tablettes are no more.

I'd love the issue to be that they are now showing up rest of my components, that would help justify a cheeky upgrade or two :grin: only problem is where to start. My local dealer isn't as helpful as he once was so getting equipment on home audition is not easy. I'm thinking that cable/interconnects may be a relatively cheap'ish place to start before touching the electronics.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes, check your speakers are in phase.

Its odd but some tracks actually sound better out of phase and the soundstage can be really wide too, while some tracks sound messed up. Get a test Cd cleaner from the pound shop, they usually have a polarity test on them or just check how you've wired the speakers to your amp.

Mr Beachams

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Dont spend loads of money on wires.... Yes they do differ but £70.00 max spent in the right area will give you all the performance you need..... I say that wires do make a differance (my work is in cable manufacture) but just dont waste loads of dosh on so called exotic cables..... they are only exotic in price

Some decent Belden screened cable for ya mains leads is fine (about £40 fully terminated) and either Dogsplodge Cables or Silver High Breeds should suffice for ya I/C's

A

Anonymous

Mr Beachams said:
Dont spend loads of money on wires.... Yes they do differ but £70.00 max spent in the right area will give you all the performance you need..... I say that wires do make a differance (my work is in cable manufacture) but just dont waste loads of dosh on so called exotic cables..... they are only exotic in price

Some decent Belden screened cable for ya mains leads is fine (about £40 fully terminated) and either Dogsplodge Cables or Silver High Breeds should suffice for ya I/C's

why silver high breeds?

Mr Beachams

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Ian64od said:
Mr Beachams said:

why silver high breeds?

Because they work well and are comparable to cables like Missing link Cryo Ref cables that cost 4x as much

A

Anonymous

Thanks all, i think you got it. I'd been swapping cables back and forth for the last couple of days and getting no-where. Assumed everything was OK because it looked OK. But had been swapping both speakers at the same time :) Link from drummerman was very useful and showed how to identify and fix the phase issue - one speaker at a time folks.

Sound now has the same clarity as before, but all the muddling has gone and the frequency ranges that were disappearing are back.

Happy days. Think i might treat myself to an upgrade anyway

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts