Whats a good track too challenge your setup ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I rest my case, sorry PP :)
Don't expect everyone to like it, even I have to be in the mood to play. Going strictly on the OPs brief, it covers most areas of the brief.

By the way, they were a great live band. I first saw them when they supported Muse at the Brixton Academy in 2000. After that a mate and I followed them around the London club scene, so much so we used to meet them in a pub beforehand and they bought us drinks before each gig started.

WayneKerr

So you're saying its all about the music? well I have to agree :)
Definitely James (y)

There are so many recognised test tracks on various formats if you really want to test your system. A test track has to be well recorded so that probably dispenses with 99% of any popular music we listen to. I've always believed that a good test track probably resides in the classical music sector as they are generally well recorded with a wide range of instruments. For vocals, maybe opera.

matthewpianist

I'll finally get to give the Triangles a run this weekend. I'm likely to make selections from the following albums:

Anathema - Weather Systems
Katherine Priddy - The Eternal Rocks Beneath
Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto No.1 (Sviatoslav Richter)
Carlo Bergonzi - Operatic Recital
Brahms - German Requiem (Klemperer)
Brad Mehldau - Largo
Art Blakey - Lost Japanese recordings
Eagles - Desperado (probably towards the end, the Desperado/Doolin' Dalton reprise)

The real test will be whether I end up letting each album/recording play all the way through.

I've owned the non-powered Borea BR02 in the past and liked them very much, so I have high hopes.

Reactions: WayneKerr
I'll finally get to give the Triangles a run this weekend. I'm likely to make selections from the following albums:

Anathema - Weather Systems
Katherine Priddy - The Eternal Rocks Beneath
Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto No.1 (Sviatoslav Richter)
Carlo Bergonzi - Operatic Recital
Brahms - German Requiem (Klemperer)
Brad Mehldau - Largo
Art Blakey - Lost Japanese recordings
Eagles - Desperado (probably towards the end, the Desperado/Doolin' Dalton reprise)

The real test will be whether I end up letting each album/recording play all the way through.

I've owned the non-powered Borea BR02 in the past and liked them very much, so I have high hopes.
What Triangles are you testing, Matthew?

Reactions: WayneKerr

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
To 'challenge' I've got plenty of test CDs with single tones and sweeps.
But it has to be about music - and real instruments for me.

I took a USB stick to a dealers with several tracks including this.
If a speaker hides the HF detail such as the bells, it's a no-go for me.
Kettle drum is a tester too....to be played loud:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLHMxFGqhIs
Many soundtracks for television and films are very well recorded. Stranger on the Shore by Acker Bilk does it for me. The purity of Acker's clarinet is magic

Reactions: Gray and WayneKerr
Check your channels aren't reversed with this.
High cowbell left, bongos right.
For tonality, you need to be able discriminate between different sized bongo skins:
View: https://youtu.be/K0E2gU63E2o?t=133

OK, we've got a non-real instrument there in the form of a syntom ;)
Certainly my bag. Loved Herbie, and the likes of Count Basie and Quincy Jones.

Reactions: WayneKerr and Gray

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
When I want to test a setup, I always listen to the album "Gong Live etc". I listen to this fantastic album and wait for the track "Isle of Everywhere". This song also appears on one of their studio albums "Gong You". I don't expect many people here to have heard it, and perhaps to even be willing to listen to it. However, the interaction between the award winning drummer Pierre Moerlen and the bassist Mike Howlett, the absolutely sublime saxophone playing of Didier Malherbe along with Steve Hillage on Guitar. It's very rare in my listening experience and opinion, to hear a band 'gel' with each other the way these guys did in 1974. And of course, we mustn't forget the instigator and band leader David Allen, of Soft Machine originally. He was the man that supplied the creative direction and impetus of their unusual and magical sound. There's no band on earth that was quite like them before or since. I never tire of listening to them. Sublime in my opinion.

Reactions: Al ears

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
The best gateway album into system testing with Gong, is "Gong You". The "Anniversary Edition" includes a second live recording that's an absolute riot. You could also try 1977 "Floating Anarchy" recorded live with the "Here and Now" band. I challenge anyone and everyone to test their systems with Gong. But.......make sure to turn the volume up!!

WayneKerr

The best gateway album into system testing with Gong, is "Gong You". The "Anniversary Edition" includes a second live recording that's an absolute riot. You could also try 1977 "Floating Anarchy" recorded live with the "Here and Now" band. I challenge anyone and everyone to test their systems with Gong. But.......make sure to turn the volume up!!
Do you need to be smoking something whilst listening to this, John? :)

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
Playing this right now ! had a chance too let the Amp warm a bit .now i know its a good set up with my ears .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugGC3ZQjXls

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts