Whats a good track too challenge your setup ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

record_spot

The opening minute, or so, of Yes' "Starship Trooper" from their 1971 album, The Yes Album. Get the original Atlantic CD, still the best, and ignore MoFi, Steven Wilson, etc, versions. You could get the Joe Gastwirt remaster if that's all that's there, but the original's my pick of the bunch.

You'll get a big opening splash, but your system ought to then track the Chris Squire's bassline, but also should be able to pick up not only Steve Howe's electric guitar, but also the distortion as his notes pay in the background. Then, you should hear Squire's bassline notes naturally decay at the same time.

Any of the opening three tracks on Julie Feeney's Pages album from 2009. Just her vocal and strings adorn this album. And it's all the better for it. Great for trialling a new stereo item.

Reactions: hifi

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
It’s clearly called Whistleblewer. You’re all crazy.

IMG-0441.jpg

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Man what a load of nonsense about nothing. The man is simply asking for test tracks!

Any how it depends what your into but here’s a short list of well recorded music that a good system should be able to make shine regardless of budget.

Cleopatrick, bummer. Lofi rock/metal. Though hard, you should be able to follow the vocals on good system. The opening track is a fair good test.

Leanne la havas. I think it’s self titled. The album with the black and white picture on the front flicker her hair about. Good opener

Mac miler circles. A really good test for vynal replay. There are some very long and low notes in there. If the cart isn’t sorted you’ll know with this track.

Nothing but thieves, broken machine, not made by design. Should put the hairs on the back your neck up.

Fieh cold water burning skin, the whole album is very well recorded.

Robert glasper. Covered opening tracks will give bass reproduction a work out. Lot of quick plucked strings and loads of layers.

Speaking of bass DJ shadows three Ralph will certainly work your system out. I’d be surprised your system can reproduce this faithfully

The prodigy music for the guilted generation, poison, again be surprised if your system can reproduce this faithfully. You also have mindfields by them as well.

Clair maguire, stranger things have happened, opening tracks are very haunting and great vocal test.

Death from above 1979 outrage is now, fast and frantic metal/ electronic muisc system will need a good sense of timing.

The internet, get away. Really airy vocals surrounded by rich and powerful acoustics. You should be able to here all the layers.

This lot won’t be to many’s taste round these parts but good test tracks if you are into this sort of stuff.

Think that will do you for a bit.

Reactions: hifi

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
Man what a load of nonsense about nothing. The man is simply asking for test tracks!

Any how it depends what your into but here’s a short list of well recorded music that a good system should be able to make shine regardless of budget.

Cleopatrick, bummer. Lofi rock/metal. Though hard, you should be able to follow the vocals on good system. The opening track is a fair good test.

Leanne la havas. I think it’s self titled. The album with the black and white picture on the front flicker her hair about. Good opener

Mac miler circles. A really good test for vynal replay. There are some very long and low notes in there. If the cart isn’t sorted you’ll know with this track.

Nothing but thieves, broken machine, not made by design. Should put the hairs on the back your neck up.

Fieh cold water burning skin, the whole album is very well recorded.

Robert glasper. Covered opening tracks will give bass reproduction a work out. Lot of quick plucked strings and loads of layers.

Speaking of bass DJ shadows three Ralph will certainly work your system out. I’d be surprised your system can reproduce this faithfully

The prodigy music for the guilted generation, poison, again be surprised if your system can reproduce this faithfully. You also have mindfields by them as well.

Clair maguire, stranger things have happened, opening tracks are very haunting and great vocal test.

Death from above 1979 outrage is now, fast and frantic metal/ electronic muisc system will need a good sense of timing.

The internet, get away. Really airy vocals surrounded by rich and powerful acoustics. You should be able to here all the layers.

This lot won’t be to many’s taste round these parts but good test tracks if you are into this sort of stuff.

Think that will do you for a bit.
Thank you 🙈

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
I'd suggest Blue by Joni Mitchell, if not the whole LP then just the title song. You have Joni's hauntingly pure vocals which will captivate you then you have her accompany herself on piano which should be heard as an equal partner to her voice but as a completely separate instrument at yet merge into a complete whole.

Its hard to explain and I wouldn't even try IRL but here I think people know what I'm trying to say

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
I don't think there is any way one particular track can 'challenge ' or even test a set-up.
There are LPs designed to set up and test a vinyl based system and CDs to do likewise.
A single track? Not possible.
That said, from personal experience, a track with female voice and piano can be very useful.
I was typing when you posted that!

WayneKerr

I'd suggest Blue by Joni Mitchell, if not the whole LP then just the title song. You have Joni's hauntingly pure vocals which will captivate you then you have her accompany herself on piano which should be heard as an equal partner to her voice but as a completely separate instrument at yet merge into a complete whole.

Its hard to explain and I wouldn't even try IRL but here I think people know what I'm trying to say
Just played this and have to say along with all the recommendations in this thread that unless it's your particular taste in music it falls flat on its face. The only thing the recommended tracks have tested with me is my patience :) Just my opinion (y)

Reactions: James105

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts