WHAT YOU KIDDING ME!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
omnibeard said:
Shock! Horror! Expensive speakers sound good!!!

Whatever next?

Yawn...

Shame that in their native country the list-price is $999, which currently equates to about £640. Not even our Sheriff of Nottingham chancellor can be totally blamed for the fact that by the time they get over here you have to add another £1050 on top of that to buy them.

That is $999 each not for a pair.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
GMK said:
....can't go around corners

:rofl:

@mericans only have corners when one street meets another at or about 90 degrees. Anything else is a curve or a bend.

I failed my Texas driving licence theory exam on this question once :oops:

Point taken though. Boston Acoustics tend to be very very good at bass, but not so good in the middle.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
MajorFubar said:
omnibeard said:

Whatever next?

Yawn...

Shame that in their native country the list-price is $999, which currently equates to about £640. Not even our Sheriff of Nottingham chancellor can be totally blamed for the fact that by the time they get over here you have to add another £1050 on top of that to buy them.

Classic American BS ploy to make stuff look cheaper than it really is - who buys hihi speakers one at a time anyway? It's like all those $19.95 TV specials - which cost you another $40 for "processing and shipping". And it's $999 each before sales tax (8.5% in Texas), whereas the UK price is almost certainly including VAT at 20%.

Longjohn

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Hello there,

Long John here.

I looked on the Crutchfield site and I got the distinct impression the speakers were $999 each, which makes the price about the same as that in Europe. Please correct me if I am wrong.

By the way, the Brits are not exploited as much as people in continential Europe. The prices for HiFi equipment on this side of the water (The English Channel) tend to be higher and, in some cases, much higher.

A question:

Would the Marantz PM-KI Pearl Lite be a good amp for these speakers?

Kind regards,

Long John

Benedict_Arnold said:
BigH said:
MajorFubar said:
omnibeard said:

Whatever next?

Yawn...

Classic American BS ploy to make stuff look cheaper than it really is - who buys hihi speakers one at a time anyway? It's like all those $19.95 TV specials - which cost you another $40 for "processing and shipping". And it's $999 each before sales tax (8.5% in Texas), whereas the UK price is almost certainly including VAT at 20%.

Um, people who listen to mono LP's ?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
USA sales tax is mad.

No, European VAT is mad. 20% in the UK now. I think it was 8.5% base and 12.5% on luxury goods when it was introduced, BTW. I think the VAT rates in mainleand Europe are even higher: Scandanavian countries (both EU and EFTA) being 25% and Hungary being 27.5%, for example.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
BigH said:
USA sales tax is mad.

No, European VAT is mad. 20% in the UK now. I think it was 8.5% base and 12.5% on luxury goods when it was introduced, BTW. I think the VAT rates in mainleand Europe are even higher: Scandanavian countries (both EU and EFTA) being 25% and Hungary being 27.5%, for example.

What I mean is if you buy it from a different state from where you live you do not pay it, think you are suposed to pay in your state? but not many do.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
BigH said:
USA sales tax is mad.

What I mean is if you buy it from a different state from where you live you do not pay it, think you are suposed to pay in your state? but not many do.

You have to pay state sales tax if the vendor has a foothold in your state of any sort. Given the inter-state nature of most big businesses that means most stuff you buy on line gets hit. I think they're also trying to pass a federal law putting state-of sale (as opposed to state-of-purchase) sales tax on all internet sales as we speak. Some states have already succeeded or are already trying to impose such sales taxes independantly, which is why the Feds are tyring to make it a 50-state Federal law - that and the states - California especially - need the cash and so are backing the moves to the hilt.

The good news is that if I fly back to the UK for the weekend, buy a load of decent hifi and fly home with it, I get the VAT back. Eventually. Bad news is I then have to pay import duty when I land and there's a considerable overlap between landing and getting the VAT refund. Bar-stewards. |(

kevin7.1

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Alears said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
Alears said:
Um, people who listen to mono LP's ?

Or people who's nom-de-plume is not "allears" but "one-ear" perhaps?:)

Indeed. There is only one 'l' by the way. Should have been two but the well know dyslexic finger syndrome took over just before I pressed the ENTER key. :grin:

Haha i knew this was a serious condition. Dyslexic finger is what i get when i post via android phone. Apologies to all. I have turned a corner and now i am ready to get help :)

iJoe

Mar 14, 2008
Visit site
The M25s are excellent speakers and would think that they will get a 5 star review with the caveat that they need power at 4ish ohm minimum. It depends really on what u want from some speakers, they trade ultimate detail for a smooth listen. There are some brilliant ex demo deals if you look on superfi.

£800 ex demo Manchester.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts