What was your first ever hifi

Gray

I had to think about it and I can still hardly believe that it was an Alba, yes Alba amplifier!

My Uncle was well into hi-fi (When Hi-Fi News mag. cost 20 pence) and recommended their UA-900 model. It was around 30 watts a channel with separate slide volume controls for each channel - it sounded great and must have been the best thing they've ever made (not saying much I know but it was good)

Also I had a Phillips GA437 turntable / Ortofon FF15E Mk2 cartridge, Celestion Ditton 22 Speakers and the classic JVC KD-21 Cassette Deck (Circa 1978, which I've still got)

Funny how you can still remember your old model numbers from almost 40 years ago!)

Hi Bs25

Trio M-50 Midi system
regular_smile.gif

Btw, i still use some of the freebie white/red coloured end interconnects for dems that came supplied with this system.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
seemorebtts said:
My first good hifi was an Arcam av50 with eltax speakers technics 1210 for mixing.iv had stereo's my whole life just not great ones
same here only now I have a great hifi but it's taken me years to get here but it's always been a passion 
it was the av50 that got me into hifi.couldnt believe how good it sounded and the speakers that was the start of my hifi journey where the warfedale diamonds 10.1

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Depends on definition of HiFi I guess. At 16 and with weekly deductions from my first my first part time wage I bought an Akai midi system. It was sort of faux separates in so far as everything was in diffrent units, but everything connected together with plug-in connectors between the lid of one unit and the base of the next. At the time I thought it was hifi, but actually it wasn't. It was better than some Matsui from Dixons but not by a great margin, expecially the speakers. Equally, some people on here with their set-ups costing about as much as my house would say even my current system isn't really hifi.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Gemini record player

Yamaha tape player

Kenwood digital EQ

Pioneer amplifier (refitted with custom mosfet power amplifier modules)

Mission 760iSE speakers

Longmill amplifier and subwoofer

First 2-channel set-up was a Minerva receiver, homemade turntable and large car speakers that I made boxes for. I was 13 at the time.

In 1978, with help from my dad - he purchased a system from Freeman's catalogue and I paid him back: JVC R-S5 receiver and a Garrard B20 turntable.

Subsequently purchased - Comet warehouse - Solavox SP25 MKII speakers and a Hitachi D230 cassette player.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
My first 'proper' hi-fi was a Sony CDP-XE220 cd player, Cambridge Audio A1 amp and Mordaunt-Short MS812 speakers. I was 16 and paid for it with the wage from my weekend work in a local supermarket. It sounded way better than anything I had heard previously and lasted a good few years before upgrading.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Gray said:
I had to think about it and I can still hardly believe that it was an Alba, yes Alba amplifier!

My Uncle was well into hi-fi (When Hi-Fi News mag. cost 20 pence) and recommended their UA-900 model. It was around 30 watts a channel with separate slide volume controls for each channel - it sounded great and must have been the best thing they've ever made (not saying much I know but it was good)

Also I had a Phillips GA437 turntable / Ortofon FF15E Mk2 cartridge, Celestion Ditton 22 Speakers and the classic JVC KD-21 Cassette Deck (Circa 1978, which I've still got)

Funny how you can still remember your old model numbers from almost 40 years ago!)

Hi there Gray - I certainly remember the 33W RMS Alba UA900 amp being popular - As for the cassette deck do you mean the wedge shaped JVC KD 720 cassette tape - I had that - great value and good quality recordings. The Celestions ditton22 were popular at that time.

mid late 70s - had rega planar 2 (ortofon vms 20e cartridge) , Cambridge A and R A60 amp (30 W per channel) and some Monitor Audio MA4 mark 2 speakers - Loved it!!

regards tonky

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The first 'proper' one was a Marantz receiver, a CD player I can't remember the brand of, a Technics Tape Deck with Servo controls, a Turntable the brand of which I can't remember and a pair of Jamo D265 (I think) with huge woofer, a mid and horn loaded tweeter. Loud.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I admire those of you who can remember model numbers!

In terms of separates, in the early 80's my first set up consisted of a Rotel amp, had a wooden case, lovely big shiney knobs including tone controls, record deck was some kind of Akai, cassette deck was a Sony and speakers were Warfdale

"Life was oh so mellow, Winters were warmer, grass was greener, skies were bluer and smiles were bright!"

Correction! tape deck was a Pioneer with great big piano keys.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sansui SR222 MkII turntable with Grado F3E+ cartridge.

Sansui_SR-222_MKII.jpg

NAD 3020 amplifier.

images

Celestion County loudspeakers.

8109221102_ab2c8d595c_m.jpg

Sennheiser HD414 headphones.

images

Second-hand (very second-hand even then) Sony ST-88 tuner...

sony_st-88-01.jpg

Technics cassette deck. (Can't remember which model.)

Blacksabbath25 said:
its still hifi .... *smile* but bass boost ... that was all we wanted back then more bass

Both my JVC and Pioneer amps had a loudness switch/button. That was a good way of boosting the bass, treble and midrange... at low volumes only. Once you got over a certain level they switched off automatically - or you couldn't tell the difference between the loudness on or off.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
My first HiFi if you can call it that was a Sanyo music centre.

My first separates system was an Amstrad turntable with an IC 2000 amp solarvox speakers.

To be honest the Sanyo sounded better. *biggrin*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts