What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 277 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

$_35.JPG

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Nice, Holst on vinyl.

As we were talking about Strictly Personal the other day...

The Guest Stars – Out At Night
Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band – Strictly Personal
Jon Hopkins – Immunity

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Yes, Freddy, it's a great record but I don't think it's neglected or overlooked as such; it's highly regarded by critics and by those of us who were there at the time: I hope that you don't get down and dirty and do the rattlesnake shake whilst listening!

Danny Kirwan's songs, singing and beautiful guitar work help to make this an engaging listen; in my opinion, this is the real tragedy of Fleetwood Mac: the sad tale of Danny's alcoholism and homelessness. Clearly an extremely talented and sensitive soul, listen to 'Bare Trees' or 'Future Games', he's all but forgotten now. Addiction and emotional damage are par for the Fleetwood Mac course, but Danny Kirwan's fall from grace is particularly moving and desperately sad. I, for one, would have loved the chance to hear more great music from him. It really irks me that he has become a footnote in the Fleetwood Mac story, despite carrying the band through 2 or 3 albums which knock the likes of 'Rumours' into a cocked hat.

This morning:

Cocteau Twins: 'Treasure.' A perfect compliment to the glacial beauty outside. An icy jewel of a record

Hiya Jim
thumbs_up.gif

You're right about Danny, a great player with fantastic 'feel', imo. It probably comes as no surprise to you that my favourite track is 'Without You', written by Danny. I'm amazed it was omitted from the CD version! Sadly, I don't have one of the original pressings with the 'proper' cover, but that said, the sound quality is very good, and sounds great following the fitment of the Goldring 1042. Embarassingly, I don't think I've heard 'Bare Trees' or 'Future Games'. Do they compare well to 'Then Play On'? Neither is on Spotify.

Cheers...Freddy

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:
Yes, Freddy, it's a great record but I don't think it's neglected or overlooked as such; it's highly regarded by critics and by those of us who were there at the time: I hope that you don't get down and dirty and do the rattlesnake shake whilst listening!

Danny Kirwan's songs, singing and beautiful guitar work help to make this an engaging listen; in my opinion, this is the real tragedy of Fleetwood Mac: the sad tale of Danny's alcoholism and homelessness. Clearly an extremely talented and sensitive soul, listen to 'Bare Trees' or 'Future Games', he's all but forgotten now. Addiction and emotional damage are par for the Fleetwood Mac course, but Danny Kirwan's fall from grace is particularly moving and desperately sad. I, for one, would have loved the chance to hear more great music from him. It really irks me that he has become a footnote in the Fleetwood Mac story, despite carrying the band through 2 or 3 albums which knock the likes of 'Rumours' into a cocked hat.

This morning:

Cocteau Twins: 'Treasure.' A perfect compliment to the glacial beauty outside. An icy jewel of a record

Hiya Jim

You're right about Danny, a great player with fantastic 'feel', imo. It probably comes as no surprise to you that my favourite track is 'Without You', written by Danny. I'm amazed it was omitted from the CD version! Sadly, I don't have one of the original pressings with the 'proper' cover, but that said, the sound quality is very good, and sounds great following the fitment of the Goldring 1042. Embarassingly, I don't think I've heard 'Bare Trees' or 'Future Games'. Do they compare well to 'Then Play On'? Neither is on Spotify.

Cheers...Freddy

Hi Freddy

I've got a totally battered original and some reissues; if I ever see an original in decent nick (they tend not to be) I'd snap it up. 'Bare Trees' and 'Future Games' are much more tranquil, softer if you like, than 'Then Play On' with a more American West-Coast sort of feel; 'Future Games' is especially gentle and languid, but Danny plays wonderful guitar and sings beautifully. Try and find the Fleetwood Mac single, 'Dragonfly'; that will give you a good idea what to expect. I think it's lovely; you may disagree. 'Bare Trees' is more dynamic; look on youtube for Fleetwood Mac, 'Dust', Danny's adaptation of a Rupert Brooke poem, which I love. Both of the albums are on youtube by the way.

Cheers.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:

Blimey Bernie, a bit cultured innit?*biggrin*

Yes, but atleast it's not Prog. You should get a copy, it's a stunning piece of work.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Wife is at a friend's, and I'm listening to Classical music on a Saturday night. MMmmmm

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Happens to us all BBB.

Currently cranking up the following:

Forces Of Victory - Linton Kwesi Johnson

Incredible album in lots of senses: documentation of London life thirty years ago (not much has changed in some respects), declamatory vocal delivery par excellence and above all an utterly riveting dub-styled setting for his master's voice and words.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
Happens to us all BBB.

I know, but it doesn't make it any easier.

I played a few albums this morning, but interjected a Sonic Youth album for a bit of balance.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
Wouldn't you just die without Mahler?

Are you recommending Mahler Jim? I have Symphony no.4 in G major, Symphony no.8 in E flat, Symphony no.1 in D major, and Symphony no.7 in B minor.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:
Wouldn't you just die without Mahler?

Are you recommending Mahler Jim? I have Symphony no.4 in G major, Symphony no.8 in E flat, Symphony no.1 in D major, and Symphony no.7 in B minor.

No, I was being funny, BBB re all these classical music references which, let's face it, are unusual for our little forum. However, should you want Mahler recommendations you'll be surprised to know that I can provide them. All Mahler is worthwhile and those you have are very listenable, especially the beautiful first symphony in D; my real favourite though is the shimmeringly beautiful Ninth Symphony. Cheers

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

OK Jim. *smile*

Well I've just put on Tchaikovsky Symphony no.6 "Pathetique", having seen it recommended on several sites.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts