What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 275 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Some glorious sounds there Jim, from the ones I'm familiar with.

Here's mine, last night and this morning:

Lousy Sylvianbriar - Of Montreal

Basement Tapes - Bob & The Band

(yes, I shelled out £60!!!!)

The Last Waltz - Bob & The Band bits

Love & Theft - Bob

Time Out Of Mind - Bob

And selections from the recent Beatles Mono box. I spotted a B-stock copy online and took a gamble. Box slightly crushed on one corner, all vinyl in perfect nick.

Blunderbuss & Lazeretto - Jack White

Rocket Man - Kate Bush

Small Group Recordings - Wes Montgomery/Jimmy Smith

Hi Charlie

Good stuff!

I thought you'd buy the Bob ( and The Beatles box, I see!) on vinyl and then I got to figurin' about buying records and I came to a terrible conclusion: it's not real money when I buy records or it's a different sort of money to the money I spend on everything else. Let's take that £60 figure; if it was spent on food shopping, I'd be agonising and angry about having spent so much, telling myself I'm going to ALDI next time etc. £60 on records? No problems: I want that record, it's only money! Do you recognise yourself?!! Well, that's the way it is for me and, although I don't have anything like the money coming in that i did when I was working, I still do it. My old motto, 'Buy now, starve later' is atually becoming a reality! It's a dreadful addiction: quit while you're still able to afford food!

All the best.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
A bit of soulful funk, and then a full on psych-out:

The Neville Brothers – Yellow Moon
The Neville Brothers – Brother's Keeper

Master Musicians of Bukkake – Totem 1
Master Musicians of Bukkake – Totem 2
Master Musicians of Bukkake – Totem 3

My head feels weird now.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

New Order - Blue Monday 12"

Michael Jackson - Thriller (Just the track "Thriller")

Musicwise I'd much rather listen to the early Jackson 5, but the production on this album is amazing, and when that bass comes in, my jaw drops every time.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Musicwise I'd much rather listen to the early Jackson 5, but the production on this album is amazing, and when that bass comes in, my jaw drops every time.

For me, I'd prefer 'Off The Wall' but all of his singles were great.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

For me, I'd prefer 'Off The Wall' but all of his singles were great.

I agree Jim, 'Off The Wall' is a better album (I have it), and the production is great on that too, but when I play the track 'Thriller', and 30 seconds or so in, that bass kicks in, Whoooaaa!!

I like my speakers, I like my turntable, I like my amp, but if I was to hear that track on a top end set up, I think I'd fill my pants.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Hovercraft - Experiment Below

hovercraft.jpg

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Some glorious sounds there Jim, from the ones I'm familiar with.

Here's mine, last night and this morning:

Basement Tapes - Bob & The Band

(yes, I shelled out £60!!!!)

The Last Waltz - Bob & The Band bits

Love & Theft - Bob

Time Out Of Mind - Bob

And selections from the recent Beatles Mono box. I spotted a B-stock copy online and took a gamble. Box slightly crushed on one corner, all vinyl in perfect nick.

Blunderbuss & Lazeretto - Jack White

Rocket Man - Kate Bush

Small Group Recordings - Wes Montgomery/Jimmy Smith

Hi Charlie

Good stuff!

I thought you'd buy the Bob ( and The Beatles box, I see!) on vinyl and then I got to figurin' about buying records and I came to a terrible conclusion: it's not real money when I buy records or it's a different sort of money to the money I spend on everything else. Let's take that £60 figure; if it was spent on food shopping, I'd be agonising and angry about having spent so much, telling myself I'm going to ALDI next time etc. £60 on records? No problems: I want that record, it's only money! Do you recognise yourself?!! Well, that's the way it is for me and, although I don't have anything like the money coming in that i did when I was working, I still do it. My old motto, 'Buy now, starve later' is atually becoming a reality! It's a dreadful addiction: quit while you're still able to afford food!

All the best.

Hi Jim,

Yes, that rings all too true. The value of money is diminshed when the purchase is music in vinyl form. As my hideous, harridan of a line manager endlessly says, let's have a look at the cost/benefit of that idea Charles. Well, yes indeed. Management parlance aside, the cost/benefit of vinyl is in little doubt.

The Bob & Band box is rather good, I have to say. Essentially, the music therein is great. Both mysterious and playful. The package, for what it's worth to anyone, is quite pleasing.

Music:

Grotesque - The Fall

Bend Sinister - The Fall

Basement Tapes box - Bob/Band

Blue Train - John Coltrane

I Started A Joke - The Bee Gees

Requia - John Fahey

John Wesley Harding - Bob

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
'Trojan's Greatest Hits Volume 1 + 2'.

Bobby Womack: 'The Poet'.

Stan Getz/ Joao Gilberto: 'Getz/Gilberto'.

Ricky Lee Jones: 'Girl At Her Volcano'. 10".

Jethro Tull: 'Benefit'.

Traffic: 'Heaven Is In Your Mind'. mono.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Grotesque - The Fall
Bend Sinister - The Fall

Two of my favourites there (apart from Terry Waite Sez).

Today:

Bass Communion – Bass Communion II
Master Musicicans of Bukkake – Totem 1
Master Musicicans of Bukkake – Totem 2
Master Musicicans of Bukkake – Totem 3
Curtis Mayfield – Super Fly o.s.t.
Roxy Music – Country Life

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Hovercraft - Experiment Below

Hi BBB,

My wife's gone out shopping, so now's my chance to blast out this great LP.

And during her shopping trip, did she manage to get you a copy of 'Akathisia' by Hovercraft? *biggrin*

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Waxy said:
It's All About Delay 4xLP, space rock jamtastic

Tell me more *smile*

Heard them first on youtube and decided to hunt down some vinyl. This recording is from 2006, and was originally a CD only release. It was vinyl-ised into a box set this year, and I bought a copy via discogs from a dealer in Greece.

For fans of Ozric Tentacles, Steve Hillage, maybe Hawkwind. The tracks are basically just recordings of jam sessions. Very good they are, too.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Waxy said:
Freddy58 said:
Waxy said:
It's All About Delay 4xLP, space rock jamtastic

Tell me more *smile*

Heard them first on youtube and decided to hunt down some vinyl. This recording is from 2006, and was originally a CD only release. It was vinyl-ised into a box set this year, and I bought a copy via discogs from a dealer in Greece.

For fans of Ozric Tentacles, Steve Hillage, maybe Hawkwind. The tracks are basically just recordings of jam sessions. Very good they are, too.

Righto
thumbs_up.gif
I see it's on Spotify, so I'll check it out shortly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts