What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 271 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Hi Jim,

Yes, the Vashti records are, as you say, impossibly beautiful. My Diamond Day is also a re-issue, of course.

I was playing the digital version in the car today, returning from a slightly fractious shopping trip with my two sons. Daddy took charge of the music (sometimes the themes from Angry Birds games just won't do) and after the first two songs my eldest (who is seven), simply stated, "Daddy this lady singing is better than Bob Dylan but not as good as Morrissey". Interesting debate. Start 'em young. . . . etc. . .

Have you heard her latest album? I heard a track on a FatCat label sampler and it's quite stunning too.

I've also been hammering the Bob Bootleg Series, Tell-Tale Signs (Oh Mercy to Modern Times) on CD and It's so good. Not just a companion to that period of albums but an embellishment and in some cases (Girl From The Red River Shore) another leap of wonder into his Zimnesses' ageing greatness

I saw you list Coltrane's Africa/Brass recently, that's quite an album of sounds. Is it an original you've got?

Hi Charlie...no, I haven't heard the latest Vashti record but I'm aware of it: as usual, I'd like a vinyl copy but I might have to settle for a cd.

The Dylan stuff sounds wonderful: I haven't heard that either! I really must get out more.

.My copy of 'Africa/Brass' is probably a bit unusual: it's a World Record Club issue from the early 60's. I think mostly the Impulse! albums were distibuted by HMV in the UK so just what mine is I have no idea. I couldn't find much on the net about it either...probably just a reissue company. I've got the, oh I can't remember what it's called, 'Complete Quartet Studio Albums On Impulse' CDs or something like that and it's really good sound quality.

If there's not too much wind tomorrow, I'll be out on my bike scouring the country for records that I can ill-afford: I've just had to have a new boiler and a few radiator replacements and that was a cruel expense.

All the best.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie, I was thinking if you like 'Africa/Brass' and that extended modal kind of thing, you'd probably like 'Ole Coltrane'. Probably on youtube. It's worth hearing.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jim,

Yes, i've checked out Ole and it's great. It reminds me of the Albert Ayler records my father in law owns.

I think I'm going to buy a selection on CD and then crave the vinyl, if and when I see it.

I'd highly recommend the Dylan Tell Tale Signs. CD very cheap, vinyl very silly price.

Likewise the soon to be issued "Complete Basement Tapes". Actually the CD price for that is exorbitant too. 3LP = £60, 6CD = £100. The standard double CD (which replicates the triple vinyl) is £12 though.

Of course, I'm buying the vinyl and 6CDs. Idiot Winds are a-blowing down my revisited A61. Or something like that.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Yusef Lateef: 'Eastern Sounds'. Genius. Experimental, beautiful and accessible. One for you, Charlie, I think.

Mike Cooper: 'Trout Steel'. Brilliant guitarist. Lots of slide.

Thelonious Monk: 'Criss-Cross'.

'Art Blakey. Jazz Messengers.' Impulse!

Bill Evans:' You're Gonna Hear From Me'. Live in Copenhagen.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Exorbitant is the right word, especially for stuff the record company or Bob didn't deem fit for release the first time around.

So, 2 cds=£12, but 6 cds=£100...it just doesn't add up! There's no wonder free downloading is so widespread.

Just how 3 lps=£60 is also beyond me. I'll just stick with my 2lp 'Basement Tapes' I think. It's not something that I play very often and it's certainly not my favourite record. Historically important and interesting it may be, but those prices are a joke. Captive market and all that.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
Can are a prog band

You couldn't be more wrong.

Actually, I could have been, I could have said they were a Reggae band *biggrin* I used to frequent a prog forum, and I remember a few of the guys banging on about them, but immediately realised it wasn't my thing. I had them down as one of those cross-over bands, like 'Gong' and 'Hatfield And The North'. I wasn't sure, hence the "?"

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Having a bit of a post-punk day:

Gang of Four – Solid Gold
Fire Engines – Lubricate Your Living Room
The Fall – Fall in a Hole (live)
Blondie – Blondie
Stiff Little Fingers – Nobody's Heroes
Roger Whittaker – 20 Golden Whistling Greats
Litfiba – Desaparecido
The Creatures – Feast

(One of these isn't true. See if you can guess which.)

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Today started off with a Mercury Prize list:

Bombay Bicycle Club - So Long, See You Tomorrow

Jungle - Jungle

Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots

Royal Blood - Royal Blood

Anna Calvi - One Breath

FKA twigs - LP1

Then, finally the winner

Young Fathers - Dead

Then

Eno/Hyde - Someday World

Have recently brought a Knosti and used it yesterday on some 2nd hand purchases, so far so good:

The House of Love - 'Creation'

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Once Upon a Time/The Singles

Tom Tom Club - Tom Tom Club

The Waterboys - A Pagan Place

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Partaken of a few San Miguel's today, and this is currently blowing away the cobwebs..

nine-below-zero-dont-point-your-finger.jpg

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
Anna Calvi - One Breath

Fabulous LP that. Have been meaning to listen tot he twigs one, must do that soon.

Enjoy your Knosti! It really can make a huge difference. Check out some of the tips on the Knosti thread as they can make it work much better and save you wasting fluid or smearing grimy fluid onto previously clean LPs....

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
tonight

Kraftwerk - Man Machine

Grace Jones - Nightclubbing

House of Love - House of Love

Judie Tzuke - Ritmo

Massive Attack - Blue Lines

Orbital - Snivilisation

Orbital - Wonky

Massive Attack - Heligoland

by the time 'Paradise Circus' came on the KT88s were bloody hot, mmmm wicked it up a little more - jesus that PS1 kicks out some stupid low end :)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Exorbitant is the right word, especially for stuff the record company or Bob didn't deem fit for release the first time around.

So, 2 cds=£12, but 6 cds=£100...it just doesn't add up! There's no wonder free downloading is so widespread.

Just how 3 lps=£60 is also beyond me. I'll just stick with my 2lp 'Basement Tapes' I think. It's not something that I play very often and it's certainly not my favourite record. Historically important and interesting it may be, but those prices are a joke. Captive market and all that.

Hi Jim,

Wow, that Yusef Laeef LP is brilliant, quite brilliant. I "Spotified" it yesterday morning and listened to it all day, more or less. In the house whilst cooking, in the car whilst driving my family to the well known visitor attraction Distraction and lastly, in the evening through my hi-fi with vats of cheapo wine and a headful of resentment towards the new term's imminent arrival. More of that kinda msuic, please!!!

Yep, the Bob prices are inflated for the captive market. I'm scouring sites and ringing around stores for a "decent" price. All to little or no avail. The stores are all getting short shrift from CBS/Sony. Pah!!!!

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Charlie, I'm really glad you liked the Yusef Lateef. I only found a copy on Saturday and I've played it pretty constantly since then. I'd been looking for anything by him for ages, but they don't turn up that often. I was a bit disappointed that many consider it his best, or one of his best, records. Still, I hope there's a lot more by him to discover. 'Eastern Sounds' is so lovely: jazz oboe! That first track with the oh so gentle flute kills me. Unbelievable record. I guess the only thing I can think of at the moment with the same amount of versatility is Roland Kirk: try 'We Free Kings' for starters. One of my faves. Whilst listening to 'Eastern Sounds' I had a terrible thought that verges on jazz heresy: Yusef Lateef is a far better purveyor of sprituality than John Coltrane and it only takes him 3 minutes!

CBS/Sony are just ripping off the loyal fans who have contributed to their massive profits for years. I'm sure they must realise that free downloading will be an option that will cost them money; surely, a decent priced set would result in more people seeking to buy the physical product.

Sorry to hear that you're back again: it's a relentless treadmill, I know. Last year's results already forgotten and the pressure on for even greater success this year: it used to drive me round the bend.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
jimbofisher said:
Anna Calvi - One Breath

Fabulous LP that. Have been meaning to listen tot he twigs one, must do that soon.

Enjoy your Knosti! It really can make a huge difference. Check out some of the tips on the Knosti thread as they can make it work much better and save you wasting fluid or smearing grimy fluid onto previously clean LPs....

love both of Anna Calvi's albums, she is also very impressive live either in a small club or a main stage at a festival.

have been checking that Knosti thread out, thanks.

The Waterboys - A Pagan Place (recently cleaned)

The House of Love - Fontana

Echo & The Bunnymen - Songs To Learn And Sing (always thought it was a great title for a compilation and love the fact has extras on it)

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Thelonious Monk Quartet: 'Misterioso.'

'Mulligan Meets Monk.'

'Thelonious Monk And John Coltrane.'

Charlie Mingus: 'Tijuana Moods.'

I would have played 'Brilliant Corners' but I can't find it and I've looked nearly everywhere that it might be. Oh dear, I really must begin to file my records. Maybe tomorrow...

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:

'Mulligan Meets Monk.'

I would have played 'Brilliant Corners' but I can't find it and I've looked nearly everywhere that it might be. Oh dear, I really must begin to file my records. Maybe tomorrow...

Hi Jim,

I've just experienced the same problem trying to locate my copy of Scritti Politti's Songs To Remember. I'd heard Asylums In Jerusalem on the radio yesterday and I thought I'd play the album. Bought in 1982, played many times and now missing!!!

Like you I really must file my records. My house. My life. In that order? Maybe they're all one and the same anyway.

Great playlist Jim.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim-W said:

'Mulligan Meets Monk.'

Hi Jim,

I've just experienced the same problem trying to locate my copy of Scritti Politti's Songs To Remember. I'd heard Asylums In Jerusalem on the radio yesterday and I thought I'd play the album. Bought in 1982, played many times and now missing!!!

Like you I really must file my records. My house. My life. In that order? Maybe they're all one and the same anyway.

Great playlist Jim.

Yes, I think it all intermingles, Charlie: anybody familiar with my appallingly messy school desk would never imagine I was the type of bloke to file his records or tidy up behind the sofa...and they'd be right. We artistic, dramatic types are not generally known for having ordered lives, but, my God, we're terribly interesting people!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I do wish you two would file your records, I'm frustrated for you. I love order. I've refiled my records two times in the last year alone.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

AC/DC - Back In Black

Big Black - Atomizer

Faith No More - The Real Thing

Not necessarily all on vinyl though.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Waxy said:
As well as regular filing, do you listen to music in alphabetical order, too??

*blum3*
LOL. Not always, but it does sound better if you do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts