What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 270 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Heart of the Congos LP by The Congos.

thescarletpronster said:
The song 'Children Crying' is one I know and have on some record or other, but I just can't think who by. It'll plague me until I find it.

I've tracked down where I've got this song. It's on the Blood & Fire sampler 'Dubwise and Otherwise' from 1997. It's a version by, umm, The Congos from their album, erm, Heart of the Congos. [hangs head in shame] It does sound a bit different, which I assume is due to the quality of the remastering. I'll have to play one after the other just to see how different or similar they are.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
Re: Heart of the Congos LP by The Congos.

thescarletpronster said:
The song 'Children Crying' is one I know and have on some record or other, but I just can't think who by. It'll plague me until I find it.

I've tracked down where I've got this song. It's on the Blood & Fire sampler 'Dubwise and Otherwise' from 1997. It's a version by, umm, The Congos from their album, erm, Heart of the Congos. [hangs head in shame] It does sound a bit different, which I assume is due to the quality of the remastering. I'll have to play one after the other just to see how different or similar they are.

It's an age thing I guess.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
Hey, no comments about my age. That's fightin' talk, that is!

8669898.gif

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I went to Sainsbury's this afternoon and amongst the usual dull nonsense I saw 'Jefferson Airplane: Original Album Classics' and I couldn't resist it. Anyway, that's what I'm listening to.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I thought it would just be a double. I'm not that keen on their studio albums, but Bless its Pointed... it excellent, especially the version of 3/5 of a Mile in Ten Seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6sOFRWmRw for anyone who doesn't know it.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Wow, I thought it would just be a double. I'm not that keen on their studio albums, but Bless its Pointed... it excellent, especially the version of 3/5 of a Mile in Ten Seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6sOFRWmRw for anyone who doesn't know it.

One of the best live albums ever recorded. As for the studio records, I guess you had to be there. I love 'em, especially 'Baxter's'

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Houses of The Holy - Led Zeppelin

tockholm - Chrissie Hynde

i wish they'd sort out this forum for iPad. That should had read Stockholm, but editing pre posting doesn't work.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Just Another Diamond Day - Vashti Bunyan

Lookaftering - Vashti Bunyan

Blue Train - John Coltrane

Love & Theft - Bob Dylan

Hi Charlie

'Just Another Diamond Day' and 'Lookaftering' are impossibly beautiful records; I think an original 'Diamond Day' currently goes for about £1,000 and I'd argue that it's one of the very few records that would be worth every penny. 'Rose Hip November' is the loveliest song that I've ever heard. I've got a reissue but I keep looking for an original...it's number one on my wanted list...whether or not I could afford it is another matter!

Interesting to see how you crashed into all that pastoral delicacy with Trane's hard-edged muscularity and Dylan's more worldly contemplations. Nice contrast, Charlie.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I truly love this album, but I only have a 1986 reissue of it. This question is for Charlie, Jim, and anyone else who might know. Apart from the original issue, what version of this album would be the one to go for? I don't want to spend silly money, but I need to know if the Mono version would knock the socks off the stereo, and if so, which Mono version (apart from the original) would be the one to go for?

Miles_Davis_-_Sketches_of_Spain.png

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
The received wisdom is that USA '6 eye' stereo original CBS are the best sounding 'Sketches Of Spain' records. Many argue the stereo reissues, like yours, run it close too because it was so well-recorded. I've got a CBS British Mono original and a stereo first issue and they both sound fine but I don't think there's much in it to be honest. I like having a mono because I collect mono records, but I think maybe 'Sketches Of Spain' needs the width of stereo to sound at its best. Having said that, listening in mono you're more aware of Miles fronting a band and the concentration of sound is less distracting than all those blends of instruments across the spectrum. I just don't have the answer, but I've outlined the areas you should think about. It really needs to be heard in both mono and stereo with your ears and on your equipment and with you making the decisions. If pushed, I prefer the ....dunno, I can't decide! It's just a lovely record for God's sake!

I do like 'Porgy And Bess' in mono....I definitely prefer the mono of that....er, because I've only got a mono!

Off the top of my head, don't quote me, the CBS British Miles' originals don't cost that much or at least they didn't...£30 or £40 I would have thought....I wouldn't pay that really....maybe £20...they sold well and they're not very rare at all.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

*biggrin*

My pressing does sound good, but it does seem to have develpoed a few annoying pops, so I wanted an immaculate copy, and the best possible pressing. I think the answer is to keep mine, give it another clean, and keep an eye out for a great early pressing.

I have a mid 80s Porgy and Bess too, and that sounds wonderful, I can't believe I only paid a pound for it.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jim,

Yes, the Vashti records are, as you say, impossibly beautiful. My Diamond Day is also a re-issue, of course.

I was playing the digital version in the car today, returning from a slightly fractious shopping trip with my two sons. Daddy took charge of the music (sometimes the themes from Angry Birds games just won't do) and after the first two songs my eldest (who is seven), simply stated, "Daddy this lady singing is better than Bob Dylan but not as good as Morrissey". Interesting debate. Start 'em young. . . . etc. . .

Have you heard her latest album? I heard a track on a FatCat label sampler and it's quite stunning too.

I've also been hammering the Bob Bootleg Series, Tell-Tale Signs (Oh Mercy to Modern Times) on CD and It's so good. Not just a companion to that period of albums but an embellishment and in some cases (Girl From The Red River Shore) another leap of wonder into his Zimnesses' ageing greatness

I saw you list Coltrane's Africa/Brass recently, that's quite an album of sounds. Is it an original you've got?

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I give you the benefit of my collecting experience and you type, 'Thanks for nothing'. I shan't bother wasting my time in future. I'm rather offended.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
I give you the benefit of my collecting experience and you type, 'Thanks for nothing'. I shan't bother wasting my time in future. I'm rather offended.

*lol*

It was aimed more at Charlie, Jim. Sorry.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:

*lol*

It was aimed more at Charlie, Jim. Sorry.

I hope you know I was only joking!

I thought you were, but then I started to doubt it when you signed off. That's why I added the sorry. *lol*

TRENDING THREADS