What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 263 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that album ever featured rechannelling; he did remix it though and that's the version most people have heard. I did say I liked the original mix before he brought the voice and guitars out of the sonic blur as it were. I think you had an original too, if I remember rightly. I like both versions to be honest; I still think it's full of great songs, albeit pop songs, and a far cry from his electric guitar workouts beloved by fans.

Think I'll buy 'The Sermon' then unless I hear, as I do fairly often, 'Sorry, JIm, I've decided to keep that one for myself'. They are the most heartbreaking words that I've ever heard!

Thanks, Charlie.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
I'm not sure 40 minutes of organ as lead instrument would erm float my boat for want of a better expression.

It's the instrument that woke me up to jazz. I think Jimmy Smith is the master, but I also have albums by Jimmy McGriff, Richard 'Groove' Holmes, Shirley Scott and 'Brother' Jack McDuff.

I've got a few Jimmy Smith albums including "Plays Fats Waller" on Blue Note. I'm also in the process of picking up the early James Taylor Quartet albums, as they're available for very little money currently.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi BBB,

I used to have a fair few JTQ, Galliano, Brand New Heavies and Corduroy LPs but I've no idea where they are. It's all from the early 90s of course, when some of that stuff was in vogue (and in HMV), hence why I bought it in attempt to break out of my post-Smiths gloomy ghetto or more appositely cul-de-sac. I'll have a loft hunt tomorrow.

Keep groovin' with Jimmy Smith et al.

First LP tonight:

The Sermon - Jimmy Smith

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jim,

Yes, you're right about NY of course. A remix did occur. And yes, I think I have a first mix too.

Re: the most heartbreaking words heard in a record shop. Not far behind is, "you should have been here earlier I had a great copy of. . . * .but it's gone to Big Craig/Small Barry/Slim Den/Old Al etc etc).

* near mint mono Blonde on Blonde, white label demos of MMJs new or lost album, an acetate of Brian Wilson's Sweet Insanity. Delete or add own variantions where appropriate.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks fo the info re Jimmy Smith, BBB and Charlie. If they're still available, I'll snaffle them up.

" you should have been here earlier I had a great copy of...." made me laugh; if I had a pound for every time I've heard that I'd be a lot richer than I am. Having said that, people usually keep stuff for me and that's the result of sticking with 2 dealers who know a) what I want and b) what a fool I am.

I was trying to think of my Holy Grail re 'delete or add own variations' and it's proved difficult; some mono Blue Note like Horace Silver's 'Song For My Father' or a mint copy of Tina Brooks' 'True Blue'.

The mono 'Blonde OnBlonde' doesn't really fetch that much money, Charlie, although it's quite difficult to track down. If I ever see one, I'll get you a copy and mail it. I'm nice like that.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Hi Charlie

Currently playing JTQ - Wait A Minute, which I bought on Discogs the other day. What an album!

I was never into Galliano or Corduroy, don't mind Brand New Heavies, though it is a bit polished for my liking. The first 3 JTQ albums are fantastic though, I have Mission Impossible, and now Wait A Minute, just want The Money Spyder, and maybe Do Your Own Thing, though that's a bit hit and miss.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
The mono 'Blonde OnBlonde' doesn't really fetch that much money, Charlie, although it's quite difficult to track down. If I ever see one, I'll get you a copy and mail it. I'm nice like that.

I've got a copy of BOB without a sleeve, C1/D1 matrix. Oooh! Just realised, it must be a double album, and I've only got one of the records, and no sleeve. I think it's mono though. *lol*

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
You'll have collectors battering down your doors for that rarity, BBB!

Tonight listening to Free, 'Tons Of Sobs' and 'Free', the second album. Paul Kossoff!!! Not only a great lead guitarist but a brilliant rhythm player too. Great on the slower stuff too. Probably my favourite guitarist. Now there's a bold statement.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:

They already are. Hold on, no, it's the pipes.

Jim-W said:
Tonight listening to Free, 'Tons Of Sobs' and 'Free', the second album. Paul Kossoff!!! Not only a great lead guitarist but a brilliant rhythm player too. Great on the slower stuff too. Probably my favourite guitarist. Now there's a bold statement.

I bought "The Free Story" the other day for not very much, will have to stick it on soon.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Played one side of AC Temple-Sourpuss a bit earlier, I'd never heard them before, but it was cheap, and I have to say, it's pretty good.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
just want The Money Spyder

I might be willing to flog you mine some time, as I haven't listened to it in donkey's years. It's in a big pile of 'play again, decide whether to keep or sell', which I'll get around to doing one day......

I've also got Absolute (a live one), and I think copies of Get Organised and In the Hands of the Inevitable. Must dig them out one day for an organ-fest. (Please don't misinterpret that!)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:

Hi Jim,

I've recently been to visit my brother and we went out on a vinyl hunting trip in Keswick. I bought Jimmy Smith LPs, as memntioned, he bought a Free LP and a Paul Kossoff LP, Koss(?), a double album of solo and Free stuff. I also saw the Horace Silver LP (most likely in stereo) and a fantatstic array of other jazz greats. All under one roof. A tiny one at that. Back of a shop called Keswick Collectibles. Everything's eventual, as they say.

I'm there again next weekend or half-term, so if you'd like me to look out for a mono copy I will. Is it both scarce and expensive? How many mono Blonde On Blondes equals a mono Songs For My Father?

As for Bob, I have seen the UK mono a few times but never in very good condition. Plus, because I'm an idiot I want both the US and UK mono pressings. One or the other are on eBay right now but I've more or less given up buying all but cheap albums online. I like to see them myself.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Hi Charlie

Currently playing JTQ - Wait A Minute, which I bought on Discogs the other day. What an album!

I was never into Galliano or Corduroy, don't mind Brand New Heavies, though it is a bit polished for my liking. The first 3 JTQ albums are fantastic though, I have Mission Impossible, and now Wait A Minute, just want The Money Spyder, and maybe Do Your Own Thing, though that's a bit hit and miss.

Hi BBB,

I think I've Mission Impossible and The Money Spyder - just need to locate them. Corudroy weren't up to much as I remember but I bought it anyway. As for Galliano I really can't remember a single track. Likewise BNH. When I do eventually find them maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. Maybe not.

Now, about that Blonde On Blonde . . .

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Lush - Spooky ( Jim W - still looking for Scar at a good price )

House of Love - House of Love

The Chameleons - Script of a Bridge

Pink Floyd - Division Bell (180g reissue)

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Charlie. I don't know how much you know about the various 'Blonde On Blonde' monos, but it's a very complicated story...just do a google search for 'BOB' mono lp or something...there's pages devoted to it. Basically, the British mono is made up of two sides, I think the first 2, of Canadian mono early mixes and sides 3 and 4 are the later US mono mixes. Really then, you need the Canadian, The US and the British copies! I've got a British mono and stereo original but if I ever saw the Canadian mono, well, of course I'd buy it! Then there's the Dutch, the Australian etc etc....!!!!

The Horace Silver Blue Notes are not in the Blue Note big bucks league, but for a mint mono, and I can't imagine any of the original copies are in mint condition, you'd be looking at around £100+. 'Blonde On Blonde' UK mono is around £100+ I would say, but I paid £40 about 2 years ago for a mint copy...and it is mint. I'm making an informed guess here though; you'll always find cheaper and more expensive examples. I'll keep my eyes open and let you know if I find anything: I'll reserve it, let you know and then you can decide if you want it. Yes, if you find the Horace Silver send a message on here and I'll get straight back to you. Thanks.

I completely agree about seeing the records youself and, more importantly, finding something wonderful in crates of rubbish and haggling over the price! That's the addiction right there.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I hear you Steve...I'll keep my eyes open. Lush records don't go for that much which surprises me; I think you'd be looking at about £20/ £30 or so for a copy of 'Scar.' I think mine was £15 a few years ago. If I find one, I'll reserve it and send a message on here then you can decide if you want it. I can't guarantee finding one of course but I'll put the feelers out.

Tell you what though, I think Lush records will be worth quite a bit in 10 years or so...any of that 4AD and Creation label stuff.

Cheers.

Edit: just checked the prices...maybe still only £15, Steve.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jim,

Yes, I knew some of the Bob mono stuff but not all and know I'm even more determined to seek out all of those versions too. Aaaaaarrrhhhh etc.

Thanks for offering to look out for one for me. I am very keen. I'll trust your judgement on all the usual criteria. I will do likewise for the Horace Silver LP.

Currently playing/played:

Dub Feast - The Congos

The Roots Of Dub - King Tubby

Flagship LP

Hex Enduction Hour - The Fall

Perverted By Language - The Fall

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I thought The Cramps were Goth. *smile*

From what I've heard, there's an element of 60s garage to them, I really like his voice and the guitar sounds, my only worry was that all the songs might start to sound the same over a whole album.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts