What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 261 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Carpenters - Singles 69-73

Peter Cook/Dudley Moore - Derek And Clive Live

Metallica - Ride The Lightning

I hope you have a strong constitution *biggrin*

I didn't get all the way through it. I don't mind extreme filth, but it has to make me laugh, and it wasn't really. I'll play the second side sometime soon.

Back in the day, I found some of it really funny, but there's quite a bit of dross too. I suppose back then there was the shock value.

Mr Giblets

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Carpenters - Singles 69-73

Peter Cook/Dudley Moore - Derek And Clive Live

Metallica - Ride The Lightning

Funnily enough I was giving my wifes copy of The Carpenters 69 -73 , a wash this am .

Did the Derek and clive include the brasso sketch??

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Mr Giblets said:
Did the Derek and clive include the brasso sketch??

I didn't get to it if it does.

I have 'Come Again' as well, and I definitely prefer that album as it's got loads of classic sketches on it. My fave sketch of theirs is probably 'The longest trail of snot', absolutely obscene, but painfully funny. *biggrin*

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
We've dug my wifes LPs out of the shed and just going through them....

50.The-Very-Best-Of-Leo-Sayer.gif

... makes a change from gnarled old 70's blues rockers.

"Giving It All Away", what a great song even if I prefer Roger Daltry's version.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly OST

and a little bit of The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead before the tv went on.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Both good records, Freddy. Most John Mayall second-hand records are scratched to buggery so be careful when buying a new copy: I've got a crackly stereo and a pretty good mono. I think ;Flat Baroque and Beserk' and 'Stormcock' are my fave Harper's, although I do like'Flashes From The Archives Of Oblivion.' He used to be great live.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Both good records, Freddy. Most John Mayall second-hand records are scratched to buggery so be careful when buying a new copy: I've got a crackly stereo and a pretty good mono. I think ;Flat Baroque and Beserk' and 'Stormcock' are my fave Harper's, although I do like'Flashes From The Archives Of Oblivion.' He used to be great live.

Hiya Jim. I actually saw Roy Harper at the Colston Hall, here in Bristol, maybe '72? Part of the 'Lifemask' tour. It was a great night with surprisingly lots of laughs, he really connected with the audience. 'Flat Baroque' and 'Stormcock' are my favs too, I never tire of hearing them, lovely rich guitar and great songs, imo. From my perspective, he's an unsung hero. ATB...Freddy

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Oh yes, stevebrock, you are so right. In my opinion the must underrated British band of all time. 'Spooky' is a brilliant album, but I think 'Split' is even better with incredibly powerful songs ( youtube 'Light from a Distant Star' and 'Desire Lines' ) and beautiful extended guitar work-outs. The last album, the rather poppy, 'Lovelife' is also often overlooked. The British music press, especially NME, slagged them off and were keen to point out that they partied rather too often for their own good or for the good of the music.I think a lot of people thought they were just having a laugh and were party animals: how wrong they were.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
On my list too, Steve. I don't have a copy. Got a couple of blokes looking for one for about a year now but it seems pretty scarce. I don't buy online but I guess you could get one off ebay or discogs. I know quite a few people who reckon it's the best album of the 90's and I think it's there or thereabouts.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I was into quite a few 4AD bands during that golden period, but weirdly never purchased any Lush stuff apart from a cassette single of 'Sweetness And Light', which I think is a great track.

I'm not sure if you guys have heard it, but the 2nd Pale Saints album 'In Ribbons' has an original member of Lush - Merial Barham - on it, and I think it's an absolute gem of an album, and so underrated.

Thread Of Light https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcZ4MmYi4bs

Featherframe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMUy--zjHII

Throwing Back The Apple https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay9oWB3xdbI

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Lush - so influenced by the Cocteau Twins

4AD is a great label - don't forget The Pixies.

cue...........listening to Doolittle

and yes BBB I have that Pale Saints LP

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Was playing:

Beatles - With The Beatles

Simon & Garfunkel - Sound Of Silence

Now playing:

Pale Saints - In Ribbons

TRENDING THREADS