What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 262 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
That's a nice photo! I always used to put the record sleeve up on the dansette lid like this. The RP6 may be slightly better quality than an old dansette though. Just slightly.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Until The Quiet Comes - Flying Lotus

You're Dead - Flying Lotus

The two most recent Stephen Ellison albums. Electro-prog-jazz-hop at it's best.

End Times Undone - David Kilgour & The Heavy 8's

True Love Kills The Fairy Tale - The Casket Girls

Anthology box set - The Clean

Dis-Moi Le Feu . . .Jean-Max Brua

Rocket Man - Kate Bush

Fresh Fish Special - Robert Gordon/Link Wray

Rejuvenation - The Meters

Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar - Robert Plant

(succumbed to the vinyl version, which sounds very lovely indeed)

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Nice to see you, Charlie. Thought you'd given up posting. Very much fancy the Robert Plant myself; I think he's one of the few people who actually gets better with age.

All the best.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Nice to see you, Charlie. Thought you'd given up posting. Very much fancy the Robert Plant myself; I think he's one of the few people who actually gets better with age.

All the best.

Hi Jim,

Lots of listening, little posting.

Yes, I agree with your comments about Robert Plant. As a teenage Zep fan I was always taken by his phrasing and pitching, the melodic gifts he bestowed on parts of songs where his voice wasn't necesarily delivering the actual lyrics. An acumen even more acute in his solo records.

His Song For The Siren (on Dreamland) runs Tim Buckley's incantatory original very close.

(cf too Far Post, an early solo B-side, for deliciously dextrous vocals)

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
510-wWFFwRL._SY300_.jpg

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Journey to the past, again:

Darklands - The Jesus and Mary Chain

The Clean - box set

Man Machine - Kraftwerk

Skylarking - XTC

Copper Blue - Sugar

and then more modern times commemorated:

Syro - Aphex Twin

Ryan Adams self-titled new one.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The Beatles - With The Beatles (Side 2 only)

Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes

Various - Tighten Up Vol.2 (Side1 only)

Lene Lovich - Flex (Side 1 only)

Add N To (X) - Avant Hard (Side 3 & 4 only)

Disposable Heroes Of Hiphoprisy - Hipocrisy Is The Greatest Luxury

JonB1001

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique (x4 fold out sleeve - very nice)

Marvin Gaye - What's going on (Gatefold)

Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots (Gatefold - very nicely also came with free cd and download code)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

JTQ - Mission Impossible

Billy Preston - Wildest Organ In Town

Psychedelic Furs - Psychedelic Furs

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Freak Out - Zappa/Mothers

Debut brilliance in wondrous, psych-y art-pop form. Did John & Paul listen to this and Pet Sounds and then stew their brains into Sgt. Pepper? All great albums but why is Frank's the least celebrated when it's so good?

Where The Spirit Meets The Bone - Lucinda Williams

Flagship debut LP

(Saw this band do an in-store at Wah Wah Records in Wakefield on Saturday. Reduced to a three-piece due to shop size, and with the other three menbers plus road manager watching from the used racks, they produced a pleasant fuzz of sounds. Think lower-league Band Of Horses. Unfortunately on record they sound like a U2 tribute act. All half-cocked anthems and an overload of Edge-ism shards. Extremely personable guys though. My two little boys played endless high-fives with the temporarily redundant drummer).

The Clones of Dr.Funkenstein - Parliament

Anthology - The Clean

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

That's incredible hair, and looks more wig-like than a real wig.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Finally got a plumber to give me an affordable quote for a new boiler so I don't have to sell any records; mind you, I'd rather be cold than sell them.

Lush: 'Scar'.

David Crosby: 'If I could Only Remember My Name'.

Creedence Clearwater Revival: 'Green River'.

Chick Corea: 'Piano Improvisations Vol 1'. Beautiful record.

Van Morrison: 'Saint Dominic's Preview'. Sometimes I think it's his best record.

'Something Else By The KInks.'

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
Finally got a plumber to give me an affordable quote for a new boiler so I don't have to sell any records; mind you, I'd rather be cold than sell them.

But if you froze to death your daughter will inherit them, and you said it yourself, she'll sell the lot.

Stay warm. *biggrin*

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Great logic, BBB. Yep, I intend to stay warm....from next Wednesday when they've finished anyway. My boiler was apparently 28 years old...I think that's like 100 in human years...so I shouldn't really complain.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Must dig 'Royal Scam' out...underrated in Steely Dan canon I reckon.

What do you make of the Jimmy Smith records, Charlie? Are they worth having? I type this because my dealer (!) is supposed to be pricing up a copy of 'The Sermon' which I quite fancy.

Cheers.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Must dig 'Royal Scam' out...underrated in Steely Dan canon I reckon.

What do you make of the Jimmy Smith records, Charlie? Are they worth having? I type this because my dealer (!) is supposed to be pricing up a copy of 'The Sermon' which I quite fancy.

Cheers.

I too haven't played The Royal Scam in ages, but I heard Kid Charlemagne on 6 Music yesterday so I sought it out again. It didn't disappoint. As you say, it seems a rather overlooked LP. The plaudits and mentions go elsewhere. A good re-discovery.

I'm loving the Jimmy Smith LPs (I've had some in CD form for ages) but these recent acquisitions (The Sermon, Crazy Baby & Home Cookin') are my first on vinyl. All good. I love the blend of uptempo numbers with the more bluesy, slower tunes. I spent £40 on these three. Is that an okay price, do you reckon? One is an original, two are DMM-embossed Blue Note re-issues. All very good and above condition.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jim,

Are you familiar with the Jmmy Smith canon/discography?

I bought two of these three on name & label alone - presuming they would be in the same ballpark as the Crazy Baby CD I already had.

I'd like to explore more.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Charlie,

I'm afraid I am a Jimmy Smith virgin, but £40 is a good price, especially as one was an original. You bought yours for the same reason that I was interested: the Blue Note label; however, I'm not sure 40 minutes of organ as lead instrument would erm float my boat for want of a better expression. That's why I was keen to ask your opinion: I just saw a couple of originals and wondered if they were worth having. I'll see my record bloke on Saturday and he should give me a price, but even though I like Blue Note stuff, I'm not sure about these as I pointed out.

I've got a few of those DMM Blue Notes; I think they sound fine but they're pressed on rather flimsy vinyl compared to first issue dinner-plate Blue Notes. It doesn't appear to affect sound quality though although I have read that French Blue Note reissues which I think are DMM are of inferior quality. I played some of mine and they sounded ok to me but I have no golden ears and couldn't tell a good pressing from a bad one. The real Blue Note stinkers are the 'artificially re-channelled for stereo' but they aren't beyond redemption if you have a mono button on your amp; if not, avoid them.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jim,

Yes, I know what you mean about the though of a whole album's worth of organ-led music, but I musr report that the other instruments are also featured prominently enough. I think it's the Crazy Baby LP were there's loads of brilliant ensemble interplay. The Sermon LP and track itself are fantastic too.

Thanks for the Blue Note related info' - I do try to avoid any albusm with the dreaded "rechanelled for stereo" moniker. Wasn't that the downfall of the first press of NY's debut LP? I seem to remember we had a dialogue sometime ago about it's de-merits therein. Or was that the version you preferred?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts