What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 259 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

A few tracks from:

Kraftwerk - Man Machine

Loop - A Guilded Eternity

AR Kane - Remixes

And the whole of:

Roy Ayers - Coffy Is The Colour OST

Which is a corking album for fans of Jazz/Funk and 70s soundtracks

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
A few tracks from:

Kraftwerk - Man Machine

Loop - A Guilded Eternity

AR Kane - Remixes

And the whole of:

Roy Ayers - Coffy Is The Colour OST

Which is a corking album for fans of Jazz/Funk and 70s soundtracks

Cool tunes BBB!!

For me over the weekend and later this evening, it's been/will be:

Pale Green Ghosts - John Grant

Queen Of Denmark - John Grant

Sorry I Made You Cry - The Czars

Ryan Adams latest

Syro - Aphex Twin

Chunga's Revenge - Frank Zappa

and on CD: the new Robert Plant album.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Lorde - Pure Heroine

Smiths - Hatful of Hollow

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

Depeche Mode - Violator

Oasis - Whats the Story................ reissue

Moon - OST

Boards of Cananda - Campfire Headphase

Boards of Canada - Tomorrows Harvest

Good Night !!!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
This evening play list...*dance4*

6e2afe29a191c93931d53aff86b5f810_zpsbaa2322d.jpg

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Following on from the Pink Floyd erm 'discussion':

Pink Floyd-'Piper At The Gates Of Dawn.' Mono

Pink Floyd-' A Saucerful Of Secrets.' Mono

Pink Floyd-'Atom Heart Mother.'

Various-'Zabriskie Point' soundtrack.

Syd Barrett-'The Madcap Laughs.'

One of these days, I'll get with the times and discover the 1970's.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
Following on from the Pink Floyd erm 'discussion':

Pink Floyd-'Piper At The Gates Of Dawn.' Mono

Pink Floyd-' A Saucerful Of Secrets.' Mono

Pink Floyd-'Atom Heart Mother.'

Various-'Zabriskie Point' soundtrack.

Syd Barrett-'The Madcap Laughs.'

One of these days, I'll get with the times and discover the 1970's.

Nice selection there Jim, and I'm guessing they're all originals?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Chuck+Berry+-+Spotlight+On+Chuck+Berry+-+DOUBLE+LP-231688.jpg

One of my super cheap purchases, playing through well after a clean.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, BBB. Yep, they are. The first two Floyd albums are amongst my rarer records. 'Piper' is in excellent nick but 'Saucerful' is a bit crackly in the quiet bits. Regardless of rarity, they're great records in my opinion: imaginative, experimental and a bit strange. I'm a fan of 'Atom Heart Mother' too which divides the Floyd fan base.

Speaking of rarities, just played 'Tomorrow' self-titled psychedelic 60's classic....Steve Howe on guitar...great songs.

'I wish it was the sixties' as Thom Yorke sang on 'The Bends.' Tomorrow 'Kid A' then oh and 'Hail To The Thief.' Great records.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

My wife's a very big fan of Radiohead, but she mostly has CDs unfortunately.

I think I may have had Atom Heart Mother, I definitely had a few more Floyd albums than I have now, including a quadrophonic one, but I can't remember exactly which albums they were. Just checked a few sleeves online, and I definitely had Meddle, and I'm starting to think I had Atom Heart Mother quadrophonic vinyl.

Why did I sell them? *dash1*

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I've done much worse than sell records; during one house move I chucked a load of late 60's stuff I didn't listen to into a skip. It was the late 70's and none of it had much value, given the punk explosion. I won't bore you with the details but there was some really rare stuff in there...not that it was regarded as rare or desirable then. When I see the values of some of these records on popske I break into a fit of self-loathing....'You stupid prat' etc. At least two of them fetch about £800 today. However, talking to other collectors it seems that I'm not alone which, I suppose, helps a bit. Needless to say, I never sell or throw anything out now which pleases my daughter who will come into a few quid although when she annoys me I tell her I've left the records to the RSPCA.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
I've done much worse than sell records; during one house move I chucked a load of late 60's stuff I didn't listen to into a skip. It was the late 70's and none of it had much value, given the punk explosion. I won't bore you with the details but there was some really rare stuff in there...not that it was regarded as rare or desirable then. When I see the values of some of these records on popske I break into a fit of self-loathing....'You stupid prat' etc. At least two of them fetch about £800 today. However, talking to other collectors it seems that I'm not alone which, I suppose, helps a bit. Needless to say, I never sell or throw anything out now which pleases my daughter who will come into a few quid although when she annoys me I tell her I've left the records to the RSPCA.

You can always leave them to me Jim. *lol*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Have you heard of Haymarket Square-Magic Lantern? A copy sold recently on eBay for over £2,200.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I tell you what BBB, I'm not sure you'd want them. I genuinely don't envy the task of trying to sort them out and flog them which I think is what will happen. I always hope my daughter will keep them because she likes records and record-players etc but I know what will happen: they'll be on ebay 5 minutes afer the funeral!

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I've heard of it but never actually heard it. It's probably a load of old bollocks like Leafhound's 'GrowersOf Mushroom' which also fetches stupid money and is not very good really- heavy dull blues-rock. The prices that really get me are the Robert Johnson 78's on Vocalion....I'd love to have these but they're about £3,000 to £8,000 a pop....even in VG condition....now that's money.

Just listening to Magic Lantern on youtube...actually I love it! Proper psychedelic like a heavier Jefferson Airplane with a madder drummer. It's fabulous! I need a copy right now!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
I tell you what BBB, I'm not sure you'd want them. I genuinely don't envy the task of trying to sort them out and flog them which I think is what will happen. I always hope my daughter will keep them because she likes records and record-players etc but I know what will happen: they'll be on ebay 5 minutes afer the funeral!

She might surprise you, and actually sort them into alphabetical order within genre. *biggrin*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Slightly off topic, but I was watching a film the other night, and the soundtrack was rather good. There was a track by Amon Duul II called Paramechanical World, which I really liked, but it doesn't appear to be on any LP. What do you think of Amon Duul II, and is there any album you'd recommend.?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
Just listening to Magic Lantern on youtube...actually I love it! Proper psychedelic like a heavier Jefferson Airplane with a madder drummer. It's fabulous! I need a copy right now!

I love her voice. Just downloading the album now. I think my wife will love it, she loves Jefferson Airplane.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I love Amon Duul II and I'm always looking for more of their records. You can't go wrong with 'Phallus Dei', 'Yeti' and Tanz Der Lemminge' or 'Dance Of The Lemmings.' All great records. 'Wolf City' is good too but I don't have a copy. A proper hippy communal band!

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah me too...I mean I love Jefferson Airplane and I like Magic Lantern. Yes, her voice is lovely. I need to get one...there's a few on discogs. I think I'll get one tomorrow...only reissues of course but great to have any vinyl copy. Hope your wife likes it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts