What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 208 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
My wife has talked me into going to the Sabbath gig at Hyde Park, so I'm giving this a spin for only the 2nd time since I bought it. Perfect condition,

Black_Sabbath_debut_album.jpg

Well, I actually like this record. I don't normally let my guard down regarding music but hey, there ya go. I said it. I haven't been drinking either.

It's not entirely my cup of tea, but it certainly has it's moments.

I'd have to check what I paid for it (I bought at a car boot along with Sabbath Bloody Sabbath), but I'm pretty sure it was a good price for the two. The sleeve is excellent, the record is absolutely flawless, I couldn't hear even the slightest of crackles when the needle hit the record, and nothing at all during or inbetween tracks.

Check the gatefold inner:if it's white it's worth a bit, if it's black it's worth a whole lot more. Hundreds maybe-I've seen it go for £300+

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
My wife has talked me into going to the Sabbath gig at Hyde Park, so I'm giving this a spin for only the 2nd time since I bought it. Perfect condition,

Black_Sabbath_debut_album.jpg

Well, I actually like this record. I don't normally let my guard down regarding music but hey, there ya go. I said it. I haven't been drinking either.

It's not entirely my cup of tea, but it certainly has it's moments.

I'd have to check what I paid for it (I bought at a car boot along with Sabbath Bloody Sabbath), but I'm pretty sure it was a good price for the two. The sleeve is excellent, the record is absolutely flawless, I couldn't hear even the slightest of crackles when the needle hit the record, and nothing at all during or inbetween tracks.

Check the gatefold inner:if it's white it's worth a bit, if it's black it's worth a whole lot more. Hundreds maybe-I've seen it go for £300+

I remember that when it came out. At the time I really liked it, but after a few years it sounded a bit dated and I went right off it. Funny thing though, I now think of it as a classic. Gotta love Ozzy :grin:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:

It's white unfortunately. Looking at the vinyl, there's quite a few surface marks, but I genuinely didn't hear a crackle all the way through

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
I remember that when it came out. At the time I really liked it, but after a few years it sounded a bit dated and I went right off it. Funny thing though, I now think of it as a classic. Gotta love Ozzy :grin:

The gig should be good, surprised it hasn't sold out

Black Sabbath, Soungarden, Faith No More, Motorhead plus others, is a pretty good line-up.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:

The gig should be good, surprised it hasn't sold out

Black Sabbath, Soungarden, Faith No More, Motorhead plus others, is a pretty good line-up.

First I heard of it. I would go, but chances are I'd be disappointed. Not by the music, but the fact that I'd probably be stood miles away. The venues are just too large.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Listening now to 'Year Of The Cat'. It suddenly only now occurs to me how much like Roy Harper he sounds....

Well, that was good! I'd only heard his 'best of' before, and apart from 'Roads To Moscow' and 'Nostradamus' nothing else caught my ear on it. Live and learn...

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
One of the reasons I really like Dexys was/is the fact Kevin Rowland didn't stick to a formula even when he had hit the jackpot, every album as different. No resting on laurels for him, even changed the image of the band each time. It helps all the albums are great!

Elbow - The Take Off and Landing of Everything

Tinariwen - Emmaar

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
One of the reasons I really like Dexys was/is the fact Kevin Rowland didn't stick to a formula even when he had hit the jackpot, every album as different. No resting on laurels for him, even changed the image of the band each time. It helps all the albums are great!

I just can't past the voice, it just grates with me, sorry.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
stevebrock said:
DIB said:
Al_Stewart-Year_of_the_Cat_(album_cover).jpg

I rather foolishly sold my original copy a couple of years back, so I picked this up this morning. A lovely record.

Indeed - how & why did you sell htis gem?

It was my impetuous phase a couple of years ago. "That's it, I'm giving up on vinyl, let's sell my turntable, and cash in those LPs worth anything etc.etc." Paid off a few bills, but 12 months later was buying a Rega P3 'cos I was missing my Focus LPs. Luckily I didn't sell too many LPs, it was too much hassle selling them individually.

"Make your bloody mind up" says my wife :)

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Currently in the process of evaluating the abilities or not of my Creek Sequel 40 onboard phono board. I've long wondered whether a "better" phono amp will give me any noticeable uplift in performance. Not that I think the Creek is inadequate, far from it. However, I've decided to trial a couple of different phono amps over the next couple of weeks to see how they shape up. It's one thing reading a glowing review, but nothing beats listening with your own ears and making your own mind up. To that end I've hooked up phono amp no.1 this morning taken on a weeks loan from my local dealer, and currently playing my two reference LPs....

51VggSPyEQL.jpg

Al+Green+-+Greatest+Hits+-+LP+RECORD-541861.jpg

.. both amongst my very favourite LPs and both great recordings.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Hey DIB what phonos?

The Rega MM is only temporary just to get me up and running with the ST40 - i missed out on bargain the other week - Dino MK2 with never connected PSU used for £400 - bargain as its £1000 new

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Hey DIB what phonos?

The Rega MM is only temporary just to get me up and running with the ST40 - i missed out on bargain the other week - Dino MK2 with never connected PSU used for £400 - bargain as its £1000 new

Yes I wondered about your Rega Fono in relation to the rest of your system, and thought you might be looking at the next one up the chain, Rega Aria? Out of my price range but highly regarded.

It seems there are a host of great phono amps around the £300-£500 range, so after a fair bit of reading up I decided to have a listen to a Rothwell Audio Rialto and organised a weeks home demo with my dealer, and that's what I've got hooked up at the moment.. When I picked it up yesterday it was connected up with a Funk Firm turntable (with a 2M Blue incidentally
smiley-wink.gif
) playing through some beautiful Harbeth Super HL5 speakers. I didn't notice which amp was being used unfortunately, but the sound as you would expect was sublime.

As well as the Rothwell, I'm also going to have a listen to a Graham Slee Reflex M amp, which again I've only ever read good things about, though it is a good deal more expensive than the Rothwell.

I just felt that my new Pro-Ject TT is a definite step up from my old P3 and it deserves to get the best performance I can from it.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Sunday devotional with:

Arvo Part-'Tabula Rasa.' (ECM) Estonian classical composer. It's erm pretty damn spiritual stuff. T'aint rock 'n' roll.

John Lee Hooker and Canned Heat-' Hooker n Heat.'

Sonny Boy Williamson-'Down And Out Blues.'

Christian Death-'The Wind Kissed Pictures' EP.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts