What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

black_sabbath_we_sold_our_soul_for_rock_n_roll-6366116A-1232987341.jpeg

On vinyl

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Lost Angeles:shropshire lad:Lost Angeles:
51lzroXDpsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This should make you feel good . I have just seen this record for sale on the Wah Wah Record shop of Barcelona's website for 50 euros. So you should look after your copy. Best not play it again!

Nick

Thank you for this. Are these prices for new or secondhand as I also have “You Are The Music We're Just The Band” by Trapeze and that's listed at 30 euros.
I presume they are for new as there is no secondhand vinyl in my opinion worth 30 or 50 Euros. Anyway records are for playing and I shall continue to play mine.

Well, I assumed they were for second hand records as I didn't think that many of the titles listed were available new . However, having had another look I think that they are in fact new records .

I reckon there will be people disagreeing with you on the worth of secondhand vinyl, but I agree with you that records are meant to be played and not just looked at .

Nick

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
shropshire lad:Lost Angeles:shropshire lad:Lost Angeles:
51lzroXDpsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This should make you feel good . I have just seen this record for sale on the Wah Wah Record shop of Barcelona's website for 50 euros. So you should look after your copy. Best not play it again!

Nick

Thank you for this. Are these prices for new or secondhand as I also have “You Are The Music We're Just The Band” by Trapeze and that's listed at 30 euros.
I presume they are for new as there is no secondhand vinyl in my opinion worth 30 or 50 Euros. Anyway records are for playing and I shall continue to play mine.

Well, I assumed they were for second hand records as I didn't think that many of the titles listed were available new . However, having had another look I think that they are in fact new records .

I reckon there will be people disagreeing with you on the worth of secondhand vinyl, but I agree with you that records are meant to be played and not just looked at .

Nick

Well I think it's a great album but it's not worth 50 Euros even if it's brand new.

I've played

61ZQVXPW0KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And in your streets the girls have forgotten why they're there.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Jason36:

emotion-2.gif

What would you do without me, eh?

Have you listened to 'NothingMan' yet? D'you get what I meant about how good Eddie sounds on it?

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
bretty:

Jason36:

Delivered today and currently giving it a spin now whilst I work :) Not a bad purchase for £19.99
emotion-2.gif

emotion-6.gif
Not identified the problem yet...but I must say my vinyl sounded better via the Marantz .... Grrrrrrrr!!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Jason36:bretty:
Jason36:

emotion-2.gif

emotion-6.gif
Not identified the problem yet...but I must say my vinyl sounded better via the Marantz .... Grrrrrrrr!!
Damn, that's a pain. It's always gutting when things don't work perfectly!

I would expect the Caspian to have more grunt in the bass department, than your Marantz, but it should be an impressive increase, not a distraction. Quick question: Does the CD player have the same nasty bass, when played through the Caspian Pre/Power? If no, then the Amp is fine and It's got to be a problem with the Phono amp you bought. Also, to find out if it IS the phono amp to blame, is it possible to hook up the marantz as a pre-amp, between the Rega TT and the Caspian power? I'm not sure, but many others on here will know.

Good luck matey, i'm sure you'll have it sorted and sounding the nuts soon!

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
bretty:Jason36:bretty:

Jason36:

Delivered today and currently giving it a spin now whilst I work :) Not a bad purchase for £19.99
emotion-2.gif

emotion-6.gif

Damn, that's a pain. It's always gutting when things don't work perfectly!

I would expect the Caspian to have more grunt in the bass department, than your Marantz, but it should be an impressive increase, not a distraction. Quick question: Does the CD player have the same nasty bass, when played through the Caspian Pre/Power? If no, then the Amp is fine and It's got to be a problem with the Phono amp you bought. Also, to find out if it IS the phono amp to blame, is it possible to hook up the marantz as a pre-amp, between the Rega TT and the Caspian power? I'm not sure, but many others on here will know.

Good luck matey, i'm sure you'll have it sorted and sounding the nuts soon!

Yeah I demoed the Caspian about 12 months ago and there was definately more bass than the marantz.....on CD's its not overpowering, you know its there as it should be.

Unfortunately the Marantz doesnt have a pre out option otherwise I would have given that a shot. The Goldring Phono Amp came with the caspian equipment...didnt cost me anything so may be worthwhile looking at changing. It also just seems to be music like Pearl Jam and Nirvanna...female vocals (like Adele, Anna Calvi, Sade etc) sound fine, as do Stone Roses and my Jimi Hendrix unplugged...maybe its the amp recreating the music as Ive never heard it before.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Lost Angeles:
51seJfcn-yL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I do like a bit of Wishbone.

They were the very first band I saw on The Old Grey Whistle Test, introduced back in those early days by Richard Williams, who incidentally is now the chief sports writer for the Guardian.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
DIB:

Lost Angeles:
51seJfcn-yL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I do like a bit of Wishbone.

They were the very first band I saw on The Old Grey Whistle Test, introduced back in those early days by Richard Williams, who incidentally is now the chief sports writer for the Guardian.

They must have made a hell of an impression or you have one hell of a memory.

A

Anonymous

Love new tunes

Anna Calvi - debut LP on Domino

James Blake - debut LP (Lovely sub-base)

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
matsuli:

Love new tunes

Anna Calvi - debut LP on Domino

James Blake - debut LP (Lovely sub-base)

I have also taken delivery of Anna Calvi's new record this week , thanks to young Bretty's recommendation, and do like it . The last track on side two is my favourite so far .

I also got the new Wire LP Red Barked Tree but had to send it back as side two sounded diabolical . In fact , it is the worst sounding side of music I have ever heard . I'm not talking about the quality of the music , which I can't comment on as I could barely hear it over the crackling and jumps. I know the quality of new LPs can be a bit hit and miss , but there can have been absolutely no visual quality control made on that record , as the blemishes were clearly visible . Rather a disappointment . So it looks as if Anna is going to get my undivided attention for the time being . Lucky girl !

Nick

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Jason36:survivor:

Bruce Springsteen - `The River` double vinyl.

Amazing Album, I was listening to this earlier today.

Agreed. It`s my second favourite Springsteen album (only just second as well) and it`s also comfortably in my top 20 albums of all time. Fond memories of buying this at Wembley Market (a new copy) not too long after it was released and then jumping straight on the bus to get home and listen to it on my headphones.

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
An indie compilation, issued in 1991 to try & raise money for the various indie labels that lost out when Rough Trade Distribution went belly up.... some good stuff on it too!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Giving Spotify a rest, so back to a bit of vinyl. Dusted this one down...

51FZTajUY9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I saw these live a year or two after this came out, and they were pretty average actually.

I reckon this is a classic album though.

A

Anonymous

hey DIB, i bought a pm7001 earlier today, ex dem from richer sounds, only £99.95
emotion-4.gif
. i'm waiting for delivery, how do you rate it? cheers..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts