What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 376 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Yes,TSP, it's a sure fire winner! It's in the making, as we speak!

TD - thanks for the link, I will tune in.

Some tunes of these last few days:

I Tell A Fly - Benjamin Clementine

Planetarium- Stevens/Muhly/Dessner/McAlister

Living Fields - Portico

Pergamon - Tangerine Dream

Here's What's Left - RJD2

Love What Survives - Mount Kimbie

Ruminations - Conor Oberst

Thor & Friends

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Deadbeats he calls us, chaps....deadbeats. It's enough to make Charlie crawl back into his cupboard. I'll tune into The Transmitter Down tonight too so see you there, y'all. If anybody else is brave enough to listen to the radio show in question it's on CRMK radio at 8 pm tonight. A splendid time is guaranted for all.

Radiohead: 'A Moon Shaped Pool'

'Finger Poppin' With The Horace Silver Quintet'.

Art Pepper: 'Straight Life'.

John Cale: 'Paris 1919'.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
I Tell A Fly - Benjamin Clementine

I bought that last week. I haven't had chance to listed to it properly yet, but from what I did hear I felt it's interesting enough to demand listening to properly. I didn't like his first album, but this one is proper mad. I suspect that in a couple of months I'll either think it's the best thing ever made or I'll utterly hate it. A sort of Trout Mask Replica for the millennial generation.

I'll try to hear the Transmitter coming Down live tonight with you other fellows. If not, I'll mixcloud it next week.

Toodles, everyone!

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
where can TD's show be listened to and whereabouts would I find his political commentary?

I don't think we can be modded for giving the web address of a radio station, can we? It's at crmk.co.uk I haven't stumbled across his online political commentary – a sort of Bill O'Reilly of the south Midlands, perhaps?

Jim_W said:
The Transmitter Down suggested or maybe I did that we must get together and have, erm, a sort of vinyl session kind of thing. Be rather nice.

I think that was me. Probably not practical, though; I imagine we all live in ridiculously different parts of the country. Be good if we could!

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Funkadelic: 'Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On'.

Family: 'Music In A Doll's House'.

Jefferson Airplane: 'Crown Of Creation'.

Pretty Things: 'S F Sorrow' Red vinyl from Sainsbury's!!!

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hullo, Jim. I've managed to get three more Keith Jarrett LPs since we last spoke: The Survivors' Suite, Shades and In the Light.

I've only managed to listen to each once so far. In the Light is one of those 'jazz person tries to do classical' things which never really work for me (just like when a classical person tries to do jazz). The Survivors' Suite didn't immediately strike me, but your comment that it is the best of the American quartet means I will definitely give it a closer listen. The one I most liked on first listen is Shades, which is closer to Back-Hand and Bop-Be, which I already know. Anyway, hugely appreciate all your recommendations, and I will definitely look out a few more of them as time goes on.

Do you like McCoy Tyner's releases? Some of them, e.g. Expansions and Song for My Lady, are favourites of mine, and remind me a bit of some of the more frenetic Jarrett works.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
...'Shades' is a good one, yep. 'The Survivor's Suite' took me a few plays, but it is very intense; I particularly like Dewey Redman's playing and the piano/bass duet parts on the record. I don't know 'In The Light'; I'd probably buy it if I came across it second-hand, but I know exactly what you mean; I've got some of his other excursions into classical which are interesting but hardly rivetting.

I've got a couple of McCoy Tyner records on Impulse! but I haven't managed to find any of his Blue Note albums. I think he's a brilliant pianist and I've never heard a bad record which features his playing; again, if I came across his stuff second-hand, I'd snap it up.

All the best.

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Switched the Graham Slee Reflex to mono mode, spinning on the turntable:

John Mayall Blues Breakers - Bare Wires

The Searchers - Sugar and Spice

Frank Sinatra - Close to You

Spirit - The Family That Plays Together

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I've not posted on here in a long time, but have been enjoying a splendid evening with some great vinyl.

Todd Rundgren - A Wizard A True Star

Public Service Broadcasting - The Race For Space

The Human League - Travelogue

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Picked up these 3 yesterday.

Playing the Django over and over, impossible not to smile while listening to the chug-chug-chug of his guitar.

Django Reinhardt / Stephane Grapelly - Le Quintette Du Hot Club De France

Willis Jackson - Cool 'Gator'

Jumpin' The Blues With Arnett Cobb

6and8 said:
Picked up these 3 yesterday.

Playing the Django over and over, impossible not to smile while listening to the chug-chug-chug of his guitar.

Django Reinhardt / Stephane Grapelly - Le Quintette Du Hot Club De France

Willis Jackson - Cool 'Gator'

Jumpin' The Blues With Arnett Cobb

Always loved the pairing of him and Mr. Grappelli, they work so well together.

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. When I wrote my post I thought there was something odd about the spelling of Stephane's name. I had copied it from the album cover but it didn't look right. It was only when you commented on my post, Al, that I checked. On the album cover his name is spelt 'Grappelly' - 12 times - in the main album titles and in the band member listings for each track. Interesting because it's an Italian label.

6and8 said:
Interesting. When I wrote my post I thought there was something odd about the spelling of Stephane's name. I had copied it from the album cover but it didn't look right. It was only when you commented on my post, Al, that I checked. On the album cover his name is spelt 'Grappelly' - 12 times - in the main album titles and in the band member listings for each track. Interesting because it's an Italian label.

Weird, everywhere else it's Grappelli.... including every source I own.

Loads of the varied output from 2 German chaps called Mark Ernestus and Moritz Von Oswald. They made a series of 12 inch singles as "Rhythm & Sound" with and without reggae singers. It gets described as "dub techno" which confuses me. It sounds like the dub end of Reggae but made by people far away from Jamaica in the 70s. It's all very big in the bottom end. Equiknoxx have got a new LP coming out on Friday, it's one of the best sounds of Jamaica nowadays.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Christopher Ward said:
Mark Ernestus and Moritz Von Oswald. They made a series of 12 inch singles as "Rhythm & Sound" ..... Equiknoxx have got a new LP coming out on Friday, it's one of the best sounds of Jamaica nowadays.

Thanks for those two recommendations, I'll look/listen out for them.

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I decided it was far too cold to join in with Parkrun this morning and so have spent the morning with some splendid 80s vinyl and mugs of tea.

New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies

New Order - Lowlife

New Order - Brotherhood

Pet Shop Boys - Introspective

Associates - Sulk

Propaganda - A Secret Wish

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts