What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 374 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I thought your show was very interesting, Transmitter Down. Some of it was a bloody racket and some of it was beautful...just as it should be. I'll be tuning in to the next one. Thanks.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Transmitter Down said:
Currently enjoying Palm - Trading Basics, the best new band I've heard for many a year.

Who is this Transmitter Down?

Jim W, Charlie Jefferson, thescarletpronster, jimbofisher, knaithrover, have you guys any idea?

Wtf welcome back BBB, if I couldn't be a rock star (I really really tried for 5 yrs) I would have settled for having a radio show - are you enjoying it?

Transmitter Down

May 7, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Jim, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Apologies for the technical issues at the beginning, they were beyond my control.

The next show is starting with 2 tracks from one of the all-time great albums. No, not Chesney Hawkes's 'Buddy's Song'.

Transmitter Down

May 7, 2017
Visit site
knaithrover said:
Wtf welcome back BBB, if I couldn't be a rock star (I really really tried for 5 yrs) I would have settled for having a radio show - are you enjoying it?

Don't know this BBB feller that everyone keeps mentioning. Was he ok?

Thanks knaithrover. I think I said on FB, the next best thing to playing your own music, is to play someone else's. Enjoy isn't quite the right word, but it's definitely rekindled a passion for the alternative and avant-garde.

If I wasn't doing the show, I probably wouldn't have ever heard Palm, and I do love Palm. I just wish I could get their track 'Crank' out of my head.

Visit my FB page (it's easy to find) if you get a chance, tune in, and don't drop out.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Only managed to catch three tracks on Friday, unfortunately, but liked what I heard. The first sounded like Coltrane, then something electronically dirty. I've set a rolling alarm for every Friday at 5 to 5, oh wait that's Crackerjack, I mean 8 o'clock.

The website is traducing Transmitter Down as the player was telling me that you were playing Christopher Cross constantly! Better get that fixed before your public deserts you...

Too sunny to sit inside listening to records today, so it'll be headphones and listen to stuff on my phone. Or might just enjoy the bird song, heard a wren just now.

Palm is on my playlist of things to check out.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Transmitter Down said:
much as it's a good idea, they'll be no pencils given away on my show.

That's a shame, I was hoping to play Double or Drop and win a cabbage.

Likewise on the sense of humour, big-time, and thanks!

I've found your shows on Mixcloud, excellent idead to put 'em on there. I'm almost through the latest one, and I've really enjoyed it. There's lots I've never heard before, and quite a bit I want to hear more of. I've just found another 'discovering exciting music' avenue, which I was missing, so big thanks from me. And thanks also for playing my favourite Jon Hopkins track – I was boring people senseless on here about that album a few years ago. That track to me evokes exactly the feeling of being in a corridor or the bar in a big blissed-out club with the music pounding through the walls. Brings back a lot of good (if hazy) memories of my younger days. Pity it sent Jim into conniptions, but then you can't have everything.

I really like your delivery as well - engaging, talking just enough but not too much, and focusing on talking about the music you're playing. I genuinely think you're putting on a really good show, not just saying that. Oh, the only thing is that your voice is completely different from BigBern's in my head, so you're clearly not the same person who used to post under that name. Glad we got that sorted out.

I really want to find out more about those female electronic pioneers you mentioned on your FB page. Sorry, Jim, I said the 'E' word again.

Feel like I should stop blethering on this forum and get in touch another way, so I will. But thanks, I really enjoyed that show and look forward to listening to more! Oh, I also think the name of the show is perfect.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Transmitter Down said:
knaithrover said:

Don't know this BBB feller that everyone keeps mentioning. Was he ok?

Thanks knaithrover. I think I said on FB, the next best thing to playing your own music, is to play someone else's. Enjoy isn't quite the right word, but it's definitely rekindled a passion for the alternative and avant-garde.

If I wasn't doing the show, I probably wouldn't have ever heard Palm, and I do love Palm. I just wish I could get their track 'Crank' out of my head.

Visit my FB page (it's easy to find) if you get a chance, tune in, and don't drop out.

Crank are interesting, a tad Beefheartesque if I had to make a comparison. I visited your fb page very cool - That's me who commented on your recent tracklist btw. Do you have to supply your own records to play? I can imagine that's not easy after a while if you want to keep it fresh although you don't strike me as someone who is short on vinyl...

Transmitter Down

May 7, 2017
Visit site
To tsp. Sir, you flatter me far too much, and I'm actually slightly uncomfortable with such praise, but I have a lovely warm feeling in my tummy now. Please feel free to like my FB page and message me there too, it would be a lot easier for me if you could.

To Knaithrover. I thought that was you, and I just have to correct you, the band is called Palm, the song is called Crank. Also, I haven't played a single record yet, it's all downloads or rips from CDs, it makes life so much easier, and as we only broadcast in 128Kbps, it seemed pointless worrying too much about whether I played vinyl or not. I might, but the decks we have aren't the best, and I'm not sure I'd trust them with some of my lovely records.

Thanks to all 3 of you for your interest though, I'm stupidly pleased that you've shown interest in my little show, it means a lot.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Transmitter Down said:
I haven't played a single record yet, it's all downloads or rips from CDs, it makes life so much easier, and as we only broadcast in 128Kbps, it seemed pointless worrying too much about whether I played vinyl or not.

Then what the *****ing ***** are you doing posting in the vinyl forum, sir? Away with you!

I don't like flattering people (or being flattered) either, but I genuinely really enjoyed the programme and I'm delighted to be hearing new and interesting music. So there.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Transmitter Down said:
To tsp. Sir, you flatter me far too much, and I'm actually slightly uncomfortable with such praise, but I have a lovely warm feeling in my tummy now. Please feel free to like my FB page and message me there too, it would be a lot easier for me if you could.

To Knaithrover. I thought that was you, and I just have to correct you, the band is called Palm, the song is called Crank. Also, I haven't played a single record yet, it's all downloads or rips from CDs, it makes life so much easier, and as we only broadcast in 128Kbps, it seemed pointless worrying too much about whether I played vinyl or not. I might, but the decks we have aren't the best, and I'm not sure I'd trust them with some of my lovely records.

Thanks to all 3 of you for your interest though, I'm stupidly pleased that you've shown interest in my little show, it means a lot.

I had this image of you with 2 decks and a pile of cool vinyl played through state of the art vintage high end analogue studio equipment, brutally shattered ha

Palm by Crank sounds better....

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
LSO Percussion Ensemble – Steve Reich: Clapping / Music for Pieces of Wood / Sextet
Burial – Subtemple / Beachfires 10"
Resina – Resina
Sigur Rós – Takk
Daughter – If You Leave
Polmo Polpo – Oarca / Acqua 12"

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Oumou Sangaré – Mogoya
Songhoy Blues – Résistance

Not as keen on the Songhoy Blues album as I am on their first; Oumou Sangaré is fantastic. I'd like to hear some current African music that isn't from Mali – that country seems to have a bit of a monopoly in European markets at the moment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts