What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 365 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Biosphere 'Patashnik' (1994) Love this album.

A97641C7-F9B1-4628-889E-506BDD36D9E2_zpsg3tdqx4g.jpg

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Finally found my box of 45s, after several fruitless searches in the loft, and I'm listening to all those singles, going back to my yoof, some pre-60s, enjoying all those tracks which seemed a good idea at the time. It's amazing how much better they sound on my modern RP3, compared to my previous Planar 3/R200, and the JVC JLA1.

So, a gallon of cleaning fluid, a couple of spare days, and a load of new sleeves, and some smiles in the offing. Happy days.

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Got my replacement Tool "Lateralus"lp today and it's a lot better.superb album and does sound a bit fuller and deeper than my cd version.when are they going to release another album...it has to be said that it's ridiculous the length of time they take to release something.

Happy for you Mark. Haven't heard the vinyl but my CD sounds really good & agreed they are the slowest band in the world. I would love to see them live especially as I missed the last tour due to work commitments.

Was

B0AD90AC-317B-4D61-8E8E-BCAFEDA3D83A_zpswbnyc41a.jpg

Now

D6903A20-1512-438B-A5E5-4D0FD83C3879_zps5tkxpyoi.jpg

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Delivered yesterday. First listen on luvverly 2LP gatefold vinyl.

Big fan, aided by a few libations & an empty house ( volume ) ! So, Thome, no excuses ! Fingers crossed, here goes.

4F5072B6-0A66-4C86-BBD8-FB83398FA48E_zps4elbrk18.jpg

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Over the past few days...

Anna von Hausswolff – Ceremony
Abdullah Ibrahim – Tintinyana
Massive Attack – Protection
Julia Holter – Have You In My Wilderness
Daughter – If You Leave
Master Musicians of Bukkake – Far West
Jon Hopkins – Immunity
Larkin Poe – Larkin Poe
Beth Orton – Kidsticks
The Congos – Heart Of The Congos
Jónsi – Go
La Düsseldorf – La Düsseldorf

And possibly one or two others that I've forgotten.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Yep, I'm just busy with several things, but mainly the radio station set up, and sourcing new music to play, as I don't want to play just older stuff.

I have found some excellent new music, by the way.

Hope it all goes well for you BBB. Are you going to let us know the new music you have found, always interested in what you listen to.

Maybe you could share a playlist for your show?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jimbofisher said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Yep, I'm just busy with several things, but mainly the radio station set up, and sourcing new music to play, as I don't want to play just older stuff.

I have found some excellent new music, by the way.

Hope it all goes well for you BBB. Are you going to let us know the new music you have found, always interested in what you listen to.

Maybe you could share a playlist for your show?

I most definitely will, but we're still some way away from lauching the station, as the donations seem to have come to a full stop, and there's still plenty of work to be done with converting the ex-public loo into a broadcasting studio.

We're getting there slowly, and hopefully we'll be re-launching in September.

A few bands I've just discovered, and will certainly be playing music by, are SONIC JESUS, BROOKLYN RAGA ASSOCIATION, THE OSCILLATION, HALF JAPANESE (I know these are quite an old band, but although I'd heard of them, I hadn't actually heard them). I also discovered a style of music called Doom Jazz, which I knew nothing about, and like.

You may well know a lot of this stuff already, but I was kind of stuck in the 90s with my alternative taste, so it's all new to me.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I remember Half Japanese from Peel playing them in the mid-80s ('Flossing on an E String', was that one of theirs?). Always liked the name, but can't for the life of me remember what they sounded like, must try checking them out again. Haven't heard of the others, will look into them, especially doom jazz, which sounds right up my Straße.

Have you heard Congo Natty? I discovered him by mistake a few months ago. It's basically Rebel MC, 20 years older and now doing a much more heavily reggae-tinged version of jungle. I love it. Jungle Revolution and the dub version (... In Dub) are well worth checking out. Also, if you want the weird, look into Master Musicians of Bukkake, a fake 60s death-cult psych outfit (start with Totem 2) and the new album, Preternatural, by Moulettes, a concept albums based on creatures of the deep ocean, as far as I can tell. With a lot of rock bassoon. There's not enough rock bassoon, in my opinion.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
there's still plenty of work to be done with converting the ex-public loo into a broadcasting studio.
I went to a chic bar in Spitalifields that was in an ex-underground public bogger, but I'd never thought of putting a recording studio in there.

Good luck getting the station off the ground. Look forward to hearing the results!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
Wow, I remember Half Japanese from Peel playing them in the mid-80s ('Flossing on an E String', was that one of theirs?). Always liked the name, but can't for the life of me remember what they sounded like, must try checking them out again. Haven't heard of the others, will look into them, especially doom jazz, which sounds right up my Straße.

Have you heard Congo Natty? I discovered him by mistake a few months ago. It's basically Rebel MC, 20 years older and now doing a much more heavily reggae-tinged version of jungle. I love it. Jungle Revolution and the dub version (... In Dub) are well worth checking out. Also, if you want the weird, look into Master Musicians of Bukkake, a fake 60s death-cult psych outfit (start with Totem 2) and the new album, Preternatural, by Moulettes, a concept albums based on creatures of the deep ocean, as far as I can tell. With a lot of rock bassoon. There's not enough rock bassoon, in my opinion.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
there's still plenty of work to be done with converting the ex-public loo into a broadcasting studio.
I went to a chic bar in Spitalifields that was in an ex-underground public bogger, but I'd never thought of putting a recording studio in there.

Good luck getting the station off the ground. Look forward to hearing the results!

Half Japanese are fantastic, I can't believe they'd passed me by. I've only played a few tracks, but 'Firecracker' and 'Dance When I Say Dance' are my current fave tracks.

Thanks TSP. I'll look into the stuff you mentioned, and feel free to recommend any other leftfield artist you can think of.

The Doom Jazz artist tend to have silly names. FREE NELSON MANDOOMJAZZ is one, and there's another called THE KILIMANJARO DARKJAZZ ENSEMBLE. The music's good though.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
feel free to recommend any other leftfield artist you can think of.

Oh, you may regret that. I'll take it as an open invitation. Coming to mind straight away is OOIOO (Japanese improvisation-based band) - their latest LP, Gamel, is Javanese gamelan-infused Japanese art-rock: fanastic and indescribable. Also from Japan, Haco is a wonderful and influential singer and producer, working mainly in the electronic field. And Sakamoto Hiromichi is interesting - a cellist who uses circular saws and other tools to get sounds out of this cello. His album, Zero-Shiki, is pretty hard to get hold of (although I could wing you a copy if you like), but their collaboration Ash In The Rainbow is the music from that album with effects and singing overlaid by Haco. But you might know these artists already from your Japanese connections. Hmm, just remembered a couple more Japanese artists: Yasuaki Shimizu ‎– Music For Commercials is what it says: music for Japanese adverts; and Lethe is more in the field of sound processing.

Gosh, I had no idea I knew so many Japanese musicians. They just came to mind when you asked for 'left field'. Half Japanese might be fantastic, but completely Japanese can also be pretty good!

Will have more thinks. Perhaps we should start a new thread so I don't derail this one.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Bat For Lashes – The Bride. A really nice pressing this (on clear magenta vinyl, of all things). Turns out it's a 45rpm album, so while the speed is set, I'm taking the opportunity to listen to a few more I don't get to hear that often.
Björk – Medúlla
Rip Rig + Panic – I Am Cold
The Fall – Call For Escape Route EP
Captain Beefheart & The Bagic Band – Light Reflected Off The Oceans Of The Moon

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Neville Brothers – Brother's Keeper
Little Feat – Dixie Chicken
Hawkwind – Quark, Strangeness and Charm
The Fall – This Nation's Saving Grace
Daughter – Not To Disappear