What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 357 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
We should definitely get together for a listening session one day, you, me, BigBern, Charlie and a few others. But no Beatles and no Pink Floyd (except with Syd).

...I thought all listening sessions involved 'Pepper's' or 'Dark Side'...aging geezers nodding sagely, stroking their beards...saying music's not what it used to be...it meant something then....we used to use this album cover to roll doobies....listen to this bit...genius...where's my tablets.?

Don't know where Charlies is; he hasn't been on for ages. I guess if we said the listening thing was at his house, he'd have to be there. Hmmm. I have a feeling he'd play a My Morning Jacket record or a Bob one.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
We should definitely get together for a listening session one day, you, me, BigBern, Charlie and a few others. But no Beatles and no Pink Floyd (except with Syd).

And definitely no Queen.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:
going up and down loft stairs with piles of records gets old pretty quickly. I need an assistant or a willing helper. Anything.

Genuinely, if I lived near you I'd give you a hand, because I get truly excited when I see lots of great records.

Will your daughter not help. Jim?

No!!! No!!! No!!! Niet. Nein. Non. I think her only interest in my records is how much they're worth...she likes talking about that! She's keen on her own records though. Thanks, BBB. One day we'll all have a big party and listen to our favourite records....a big What Hi-Fi party!!! Ha!

A little idea, Jim. I had all my records listed on spreadsheets, but soon after, I realised that listing them on Discogs in 'collection' was a far better way to do it. If you went through them listing them at your own pace, you can create folders with location names so you can find them easier, and you wouldn't have to refile them all.

I am a little anal about this kind of thing, and I do realise you're not, but it'll give you something to do, and if it takes a year, it takes a year.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jimbofisher said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Good selection there, Jimbo, but completely ruined by the addition of Queen. *nea*

Put that on for Sarah, a peace offering before I ramped it up.

although it is well produced and I quite like it!

I'll get my coat.....

I'm fortunate, my wife hates them as much as me.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:
going up and down loft stairs with piles of records gets old pretty quickly. I need an assistant or a willing helper. Anything.

Genuinely, if I lived near you I'd give you a hand, because I get truly excited when I see lots of great records.

Will your daughter not help. Jim?

No!!! No!!! No!!! Niet. Nein. Non. I think her only interest in my records is how much they're worth...she likes talking about that! She's keen on her own records though. Thanks, BBB. One day we'll all have a big party and listen to our favourite records....a big What Hi-Fi party!!! Ha!

A little idea, Jim. I had all my records listed on spreadsheets, but soon after, I realised that listing them on Discogs in 'collection' was a far better way to do it. If you went through them listing them at your own pace, you can create folders with location names so you can find them easier, and you wouldn't have to refile them all.

I am a little anal about this kind of thing, and I do realise you're not, but it'll give you something to do, and if it takes a year, it takes a year.

It is a good idea, but I've nearly finished...just got British pop/rock/folk/jazz/blues to sort out...well, some of it's already sorted, but there's a load in the bedroom...omg. I am getting to the stage where the house is full; I'm just going to have to stop buying...well, that's the plan...a plan I've been working on for a very long time. Thanks for your suggestion.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
thescarletpronster said:

And definitely no Queen.

I've never heard a Queen lp; that long single was quite enough for me. I understand they're very popular though.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
I've never heard a Queen lp; that long single was quite enough for me. I understand they're very popular though. 
As much as I dislike Queen, I'll admit to being able to listen to the occasional track from the 70s without wanting to smash the radio to pieces. But, and I think a lot of Queen fans will agree with me here, the way Brian May and Roger Taylor have continued to squeeze every penny possible out of the group, by releasing and performing under the name 'Queen', is quite despicable. I'm not sure John Deacon even talks to them now.
Personally, I never forgave then for performing at Sun City, and that alone is enough to despise them, and then of course the 80s stuff. Oh how I hate that 80s stuff.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
It is a good idea, but I've nearly finished...just got British pop/rock/folk/jazz/blues to sort out...well, some of it's already sorted, but there's a load in the bedroom...omg. I am getting to the stage where the house is full; I'm just going to have to stop buying...well, that's the plan...a plan I've been working on for a very long time. Thanks for your suggestion.

It sounds like you've made a bit of progress with sorting the records, Jim, and I know from my own endeavours, the process is never complete.

The Discogs thing is worth doing anyway, because apart from organising and valuing your collection, it's useful for checking when you're about to part with some cash for a record you're not sure if you have.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:
As much as I dislike Queen, I'll admit to being able to listen to the occasional track from the 70s without wanting to smash the radio to pieces. But, and I think a lot of Queen fans will agree with me here, the way Brian May and Roger Taylor have continued to squeeze every penny possible out of the group, by releasing and performing under the name 'Queen', is quite despicable. I'm not sure John Deacon even talks to them now. Personally, I never forgave then for performing at Sun City, and that alone is enough to despise them, and then of course the 80s stuff. Oh how I hate that 80s stuff.

Laughing because you know so much about them! I reckon you're a closet fan Brian May opposes the badger cull so he's ok by me...bet you've never heard of the band Badger who released, 'One Live Badger'...I bet Freddy has though. Just free-associating...as ya do.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:

It sounds like you've made a bit of progress with sorting the records, Jim, and I know from my own endeavours, the process is never complete.

The Discogs thing is worth doing anyway, because apart from organising and valuing your collection, it's useful for checking when you're about to part with some cash for a record you're not sure if you have.

I've actually done that a few times recently: bought something I'd already got and didn't need a better copy; conversely, I convinced myself I had a copy of something, went up to get it and nope, no record. I can't remember what it was, but I was sure I had one; I've not given up hope though...still think it might turn up somewhere....if I could only remember what it was. Lack of order and age are beginning to collude against me, I'm afraid.

Yep, I have made a lot of progress; I do use discogs for rough values although I prefer popsike because the prices people pay amaze me. Mind you, I reckon some rarities that I've got are going down in price which is annoying. Example, Who, 'My Generation', Brunswick original used to fetch £800; now you see it for £100-£200. It's just not right at all.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
my wife hates them as much as me.

I'm sorry to hear your wife hates you, Bern.

OK. As much as I do. Better? You can't expect flawless English, I'm a decorator FFS. *smile*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
Laughing because you know so much about them! I reckon you're a closet fan Brian May opposes the badger cull so he's ok by me...bet you've never heard of the band Badger who released, 'One Live Badger'...I bet Freddy has though. Just free-associating...as ya do.

I'm not laughing, Jim, you can accuse me of anything, but not that. *nea*

I too was against the badger cull, but he's committed far too many other unforgiveable 'crimes', to be forgiven for this one good deed.

I've heard of Badger, just never heard them, and If Freddy likes them, there's a very good chance I won't. *wink*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
Mind you, I reckon some rarities that I've got are going down in price which is annoying. Example, Who, 'My Generation', Brunswick original used to fetch £800; now you see it for £100-£200. It's just not right at all.

I think you're onto something there. I quite often look at the average values on Discogs of albums I'd like to buy, and I'm surprised by how many reissues average a higher selling price than the original/1st pressings. This could be to do with the condition of the 'originals' not being very good, but I think there's also an element of the new trendy vinyl buyers only wanting to own a copy of the record, and not caring which copy.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:
Mind you, I reckon some rarities that I've got are going down in price which is annoying. Example, Who, 'My Generation', Brunswick original used to fetch £800; now you see it for £100-£200. It's just not right at all.

I think you're onto something there. I quite often look at the average values on Discogs of albums I'd like to buy, and I'm surprised by how many reissues average a higher selling price than the original/1st pressings. This could be to do with the condition of the 'originals' not being very good, but I think there's also an element of the new trendy vinyl buyers only wanting to own a copy of the record, and not caring which copy.

you're right, I think: reissues can eat away at the value of genuine rarities. Example: Neil Young's, 'On The Beach' which, until it had a CD release which Neil kept delaying, was fetching probably twice as much as it does now. I think the same appllies with the current vinyl, erm, resurgence: it stands to reason that if a new generation wants a copy of, say, 'Piper At The Gates Of Dawn', they'll buy a shiny, newly-minted and much less expensive reissue; this, in turn, reduces the possible demand for a mint original and the price has to fall as fewer people are prepared to pay for an original...market forces etc.

However, to hardened collectors and according to Rare Records Price Guide, the originals will still be worth much more than reissues as, in my opinion, they should be. I think the market is in flux at the moment, or more accurately, permanently. Currently, dealers reckon that genuine mint copies of rare records are just about holding their prices, but VG prices are really slipping pretty rapidly. In the case of 'My Generation' though, it books at about £600 so it's dropped a couple of hundred pounds recently.: therefore, like I said, just about holding on but not written in stone.

Fads, fahionability and the death of artists also plays its part of course. Reggae has been fashionable amongst British collectors for a good while now and prices reflect this; the Japanese will pay high prices for British and American 60's stuff and Bowie's death has resulted in the inevitable demand for first issues of his GEMS ( no Mainman credits) records ie 'Ziggy Stardust' which probably fetches £200+

I liken it to buying a house: it used to be a secure way of making money, a good investment; it really isn't these days unless you live in London. Boom and bust, rising and falling prices are the norm. All very interesting though if you're a hopeless addict.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

J.J. Cale - Naturally

R-4593444-1369383389-9801.jpeg.jpg

Not an album you'd expect me to play, not an artist I would usually even think about playing, but I found this album for not very much quite recently, so I thought I'd buy it. It's not exciting me, but it's listenable, and it's very well recorded, quite surprisingly so, and I've always liked the sleeve.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
J.J. Cale - Naturally

Not an album you'd expect me to play, not an artist I would usually even think about playing, but I found this album for not very much quite recently, so I thought I'd buy it. It's not exciting me, but it's listenable, and it's very well recorded, quite surprisingly so, and I've always liked the sleeve.

Love this record and all JJ Cale albums; they'e all pretty much the same but why f*** with the formula, as Mike Love would have it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
J.J. Cale - Naturally

Love this record and all JJ Cale albums; they'e all pretty much the same but why f*** with the formula, as Mike Love would have it.

I did like it, and recognised a couple of tracks, particularly the opening track, which Spiritualized more or less did a cover of, though they did add some lyrics and change the song title; but unlike our friends Zeppelin, they did give Mr Cale a writing credit.

The production was amazingly good, and I'm currently listening to Nick Cave, which sounds completely flat in comparison.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Nick Cave - Murder Ballads

A great album, but it sounds so lifeless and flat. Took it off after side one.

Now playing a bit of Hovercraft - Akathisia

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
knaithrover said:
I really like the sound/production on JJ Cale's records but all that 'lawdy mama got the blues' songwriting leaves me cold

'Have ya heard the news, it's the same ol' blues again',

I'm a big fan of 'lawdy mama got the blues' songwriting I must confess.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts