What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 351 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Thanks for the concern BBB & Jim,

I have retreated to the Lakes (with tempremental internet thrown in) to attempt to sort my life out & help my brother with his guest house re-opening following the December floods.

Favourite music at the moment:

Ouroboros - Ray LaMontagne

It's a Jim James production (probably why I really like it more than other albums by Ray) and it shows. Trippy, very Floyd (Pink more than Keith) in the acoustic phases and less of Ray's bombastic voice, just a rather old hippy vibe and spaced out feel.

Good to hear from you....I need a retreat too; I seem to be in retreat this winter. Glad you're ok; I was a bit worried you'd not posted, but tempered by the knowledge that you're an intelligent and resourceful geezer.

'Bombastic voice'...I think you've nailed it...I have one of his albums, can't remember the title: I liked it but having said that, I didn't play it much. Maybe the voice is the issue....he's a decent writer though. I will definitely check out, 'Ouroboros' which, incidentally, was the name of a vegan restaurant and health food shop I used to frequent! How weird. Looking forward to it.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Yesterday

The Afghan Whigs - Black Love

The Civil Wars - The Civil Wars

Peter Gabriel - (melt)

Oasis - Definitely Maybe

Have ordered the new Tanita Tikaram on vinyl having listened via Spotify, it is very good, quite jazzy. Hopefully it will be a good pressing

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Good to see you on here, Charlie.

Now playing:

Nina Simone - Nina Simone Sings The Blues

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Faith No More - King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime

Faith No More - Album of the Year

Nirvana - Unplugged in New York

Daughter - Not to Disappear

Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden/Miss Everyone

Jon Hopkins - Immunity

Five Finger Death Punch - American Capitalist

James Lavelle - Global Underground GU026 Romania

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Andy Sheppard – Introductions In The Dark
Björk – Vespertine
Burning Spear – Farover
Bass Communion – Ghosts On Magnetic Tape
GoGo Penguin – v2.0
Cloud Boat – Model Of You
Jüppala Kääpiö – Alpen Ocean

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Played a few 12"s earlier.

The Stairs - Last Time Around

The Stairs - Woman Gone And Say Goodbye

Saw them the other night and really enjoyed it. Great band.

Followed by:

Simon & Garfunkel - Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Had heard they were touring again. Love Mexican R'n'B, saw them back in the early 90s and it was agreed gig.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jimbofisher said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Had heard they were touring again. Love Mexican R'n'B, saw them back in the early 90s and it was agreed gig.

It was a 50/50 gig, when it was good, it was really good, but they played quite a long set, and some of the new songs weren't quite doing it.

Support was from Graham Day (overlong and very dull), and a very authentic sounding 60s psychedlia influenced band called The Wicked Whispers, who I'll keep an eye out for in the future.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Sigur Rós – ( )
Hamilton Yarns – The Show-Boat, Over
David Bowie – “Heroes”
Hawkwind – Warrior on the Edge of Time
Herbert – Bodily Functions
Vikter Duplaix – Singles

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Fields Of The Nephilim : (2x12" 45rpm) The Nephilim Goth classic. Sounds excellent.

Sisters of Mercy : (12"EP) The Reptile House Tinny production but proto goth minimalist classic. Haven't played it for a few years...So influential !

Bill Nelson : (LP) Getting The Holy Ghost Across BeBop Deluxe Genius solo 80's guff!

& to bed...

Cocteau Twins : (LP) Treasure

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
...so no records, but brought a few back fom where they were languishing, unloved:

Art: 'Supernatural Fairy Tales'. Mono.

The Mamas And The Papas: 'If You Can Believe Your Eyes And Ears'. Mono.

Focus: 'Moving Waves' + 'Live At The Rainbow'.

David Ackles: 'Subway To The Country'.

Read through all the forum posts when I got home and was interested in the Sainsbury's selling lps stuff. You know it's only going to be mainstream massive sellers; the idea that they'd be stocking Grateful Dead records made me laugh...and yes, 'American Beauty' is a thing of rare beauty. I'd rather Sainsbury's sort their pathetic vegan range out tbh.

A mention of Wolves took me back to being 13/14 on the North Bank at Molineux. No 'Hi-Ho Silver Lining' then; we used to sing a Wolves-tuned,' Those Were The Days'. Peter Knowles was a god, the Doog was still doing it and Derek Parkin was the classiest full-back I've ever seen. Great days.

Needless to say, I wasn't very interested in the humming threads.

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Sex Gang Children "Song & Legend" Classic punk/goth (1983)

Apparently Culture Club were initially a Goth band & this was they're original name. Boy George came to his senses, renamed his band & gave the name to his mate, Andi's, band. The singer then immediately changed his own name to Andi Sex Gang. Bit of a charmer then !

Flux Of Pink Indians "Strive to survive causing least suffering possible" (1982)

Seminal anarchopunk album from the guys who went on to eventually set up the One Little Indian label. (2013 rp)

Dead Kennedys "Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables" (1980)

Timeless debut album from the highly original, highly musical American punk intelligentsia..........If in doubt, ask yourself : What would Jello do ?

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Sex Gang Children "Song & Legend" Classic punk/goth (1983)

Apparently Culture Club were initially a Goth band & this was they're original name. Boy George came to his senses, renamed his band & gave the name to his mate, Andi's, band. The singer then immediately changed his own name to Andi Sex Gang. Bit of a charmer then !

Flux Of Pink Indians "Strive to survive causing least suffering possible" (1982)

Seminal anarchopunk album from the guys who went on to eventually set up the One Little Indian label. (2013 rp)

Dead Kennedys "Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables" (1980)

Timeless debut album from the highly original, highly musical American punk intelligentsia..........If in doubt, ask yourself : What would Jello do ?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

NMANo1 said:

I always wanted the 2nd album, 'The ******* Cunts Treat Us Like ******'. I've no idea what it sounds like, but who cares, it's worth buying for the title alone. *biggrin*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The Who - Best Of The Last Ten Years

2800448_150916173231_3681.jpg

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
Respect due, as Stouffer would say.

You know, you remind me of a friend of mine sometimes, with the occasional thing you say. *smile*

The friend in question and I went to see Harry Hill in a small pub in North London many many years ago, and there was no backstage, so Harry had to just stand near the entrance before he came on. He's quite quiet and shy in real life, and was obviously nervous and concentrated on what he was going to say, but instead of letting him prepare, my mate went up to him and started talking to him, and his exact question was "So where's Stouffer?". Harry didn't look best pleased, and replied "I don't know". It's not that funny now, but it was at the time, and it got funnier, cos Harry had me crying with laughter during the gig.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts