What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 350 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
My hi-fi is my excuse to avoid any gardening other than mowing the lawn, can't waste time making things look pretty when I have so much music to listen to.

Tonight:

Various Artists - Mod Jazz

Mogwai - Central Belters discs 2 and 3 (I love Mogwai Fear Satan and The Sun Smells Too Loud)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jimbofisher said:
That's it. A friend managed to have two so he passed one on. It is good.

Comps don't seem to be that popular, but I have around a hundred, with some great ones like that one of yours.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
jimbofisher said:
That's it. A friend managed to have two so he passed one on. It is good.

Comps don't seem to be that popular, but I have around a hundred, with some great ones like that one of yours.

As a child of the sixties, compilations were invaluable because they allowed us to listen to new music very cheaply...usually about 14/6..that's about 75 pence in new money. I have loads of them too and still buy them if I see them, especially if they're on collectible labels like Blue Note, Island, Vertigo, Elektra, Marmalade, Harvest etc. Cheap three cd disc compilations are pretty good too.

Still got the first compilation I bought, 'You Can All Join In' on Island; God, I played it to death on a cheap dansette type thing and loved every track. I was 14 and the die was already cast: vinyl junkiedom was inevitable.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Borrowed a couple of records from my Dad yesterday, Ben Webster -For The Guv'nor, and Cannonball Adderley with Milt Jackson - Things Are Getting Better, I'm now playing the Ben Webster.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Followed by one of my favourite Jazz albums.

Jazz-Hip Trio - Jazz In Relief

It's on You Tube here.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jimbofisher said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Borrowed a couple of records from my Dad yesterday, Ben Webster -For The Guv'nor, and Cannonball Adderley with Milt Jackson - Things Are Getting Better, I'm now playing the Ben Webster.

I love Cannonball

My Dad seems to think there are two of them, and CA Junior is the one that plays the more 'way out' Jazz. I've not played that album yet, it might go on next.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
jimbofisher said:
I love Cannonball

My Dad seems to think there are two of them, and CA Junior is the one that plays the more 'way out' Jazz. I've not played that album yet, it might go on next.

I think my Dad's a bit confused, I can only see one Cannonball Adderley.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I decided two or three years ago that I should re-evaluate various artists I had dismissed when I was younger, one of them being David Bowie. Managed to get a big load of Bowie's LPs recently, so over the past week the playlist has included:
Space Oddity
The Man Who Sold The World
Hunky Dory
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
Aladdin Sane
Pin Ups
Diamond Dogs
Station to Station
Low
“Heroes”
Lodger
Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)
Rare Bowie

(That's quite enough Bowie. Ed.)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

No, he seemed to think that there was a Cannonball Adderley, and another later artist called Cannonball Adderley Junior.

Bless him, he is getting old. *biggrin*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
another later artist called Cannonball Adderley Junior.

Would that be 'Golfball Adderley'?

*biggrin*

Though it was the acne as a kid that lead to that nickname.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Though it was the acne as a kid that lead to that nickname.

'Pizza-face' is the one I remember. Mind you, that would be a pretty good jazz name in itself.

What would be your jazz name?

I'm not sure, but as I've put on a little weight, 'Tubby' will be part of it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The Clash - The Clash

(I'm definitely in the 'very overrated band' camp, but this is a great collection of songs, though whether that makes it a good album, I'm not sure.)

Discharge - Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing *music2*

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Roy Harper. 'Man & Myth'

Roy's latest album. Must be in his late 70's now & maybe one of his finest albums.

Michael Hedges. 'Live from the Double Planet'. Live offering from the sadly missed guitar genius.

Steve Rothery. 'Ghosts of Pripyat'. Debut from Marillion guitarist with excellent backing band. Excellent album & sounds excellent too.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the concern BBB & Jim,

I have retreated to the Lakes (with tempremental internet thrown in) to attempt to sort my life out & help my brother with his guest house re-opening following the December floods.

Favourite music at the moment:

Ouroboros - Ray LaMontagne

It's a Jim James production (probably why I really like it more than other albums by Ray) and it shows. Trippy, very Floyd (Pink more than Keith) in the acoustic phases and less of Ray's bombastic voice, just a rather old hippy vibe and spaced out feel.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts