What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 342 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
Grrr *biggrin*

7YYuD8n.png

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
The Soft Bulletin - The Flaming Lips

Death Of A Ladies Man - Leonard Cohen

Black Narcissus - Joe Henderson

Hi Charlie...I like Joe Henderson but I don't know 'Black Narcissus'. What do you think to it? Recommended? 'Page One', 'Our Thing' and 'State Of The Tenor Vol 1+2' all recommended, Haven't played 'Death Of A Ladies Man' for years..I remember liking it though. Another visit to the loft then.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
Moved on to...

Led Zep - '3' An album littered with wonderful moments.

'Since I've Been Loving You' has to be one of THE best 'white mans Blues' tracks of all time, don't it?

Who did it originally? *wink*

It matters little to me. What matters to me, is the music. If you have a better version to offer up, I'm all ears

Yep there's a better version....a track called 'Never' by Moby Grape...it's on youtube. A different song but one listen will confirm where 'Since I've Been Loving You' came from....direct steal of lyrics and atmosphere. Moby Grape was Plant's favourite group. I have to say though that 'Since I've Been Loving You' is my favourite Led zeppelin song; I'm not a huge fan though.

Jim_W said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
Moved on to...

Led Zep - '3' An album littered with wonderful moments.

'Since I've Been Loving You' has to be one of THE best 'white mans Blues' tracks of all time, don't it?

Who did it originally? *wink*

It matters little to me. What matters to me, is the music. If you have a better version to offer up, I'm all ears

Yep there's a better version....a track called 'Never' by Moby Grape...it's on youtube. A different song but one listen will confirm where 'Since I've Been Loving You' came from....direct steal of lyrics and atmosphere. Moby Grape was Plant's favourite group. I have to say though that 'Since I've Been Loving You' is my favourite Led zeppelin song; I'm not a huge fan though.

Listen well and most of Zepplins tracks a plagerisations.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
The Soft Bulletin - The Flaming Lips

Death Of A Ladies Man - Leonard Cohen

Black Narcissus - Joe Henderson

Hi Charlie...I like Joe Henderson but I don't know 'Black Narcissus'. What do you think to it? Recommended? 'Page One', 'Our Thing' and 'State Of The Tenor Vol 1+2' all recommended, Haven't played 'Death Of A Ladies Man' for years..I remember liking it though. Another visit to the loft then.

Hi Jim,

i really like Black Narcissus. It's subtle and has lots of air to the sound. Not too much proliferation. Maybe give it a whirl.

This evening I got comformation I can claim full rights to all my "work" at my former employer. Yay for the unions and natural justice prevailing.

Sounds for the above;

The Waterfall - MMJ

Circuses And Bread - Durutti Column

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
This evening I got comformation I can claim full rights to all my "work" at my former employer. Yay for the unions and natural justice prevailing.

Good news, Charlie. *clapping*

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Great news! Glad you got a positive result, although I thought you would. Skilled union reps usually get a positive outcome.

I don't know if you'd be interested but WJEC are looking for a Principal Drama Examiner...well 2 actually. Theory and Performance. It's on their website...you'd easily have the experience of course. Thought you may consider it!!

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim_W said:

Hiya Jim.

Sorry, but I wouldn't call that a better version. Led Zeps version just has so much more energy, imv. Led Zep will always divide opinion, and I can understand that some purists won't like their interpretation of blues music. As a young hippy, blues wasn't my thing at all, way too boring/samey. Indeed, it was the more 'rocky' or acoustic tunes that Zep did that I much preferred. As time went on, my appreciation of their slower bluesy tunes really took hold, and sparked an appreciation in blues in general. I still find a lot of blues a bit 'formulaic', but Zeps interpretation of blues really floats my boat. And of course, the musicianship ain't bad.

Just my opinion, and not the end of the world *smile*

Great news Charlie
thumbs_up.gif

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Jim_W said:

Hiya Jim.

Sorry, but I wouldn't call that a better version. Led Zeps version just has so much more energy, imv. Led Zep will always divide opinion, and I can understand that some purists won't like their interpretation of blues music. As a young hippy, blues wasn't my thing at all, way too boring/samey. Indeed, it was the more 'rocky' or acoustic tunes that Zep did that I much preferred. As time went on, my appreciation of their slower bluesy tunes really took hold, and sparked an appreciation in blues in general. I still find a lot of blues a bit 'formulaic', but Zeps interpretation of blues really floats my boat. And of course, the musicianship ain't bad.

Just my opinion, and not the end of the world *smile*

Great news Charlie

There are many 'formulaic' genres; I guess that's what 'genre' is: a formula. There are ways of being experimental and , ahem, pushing the envelope and Led Zeppelin did this with some vim and vigour. Blues is no more formulaic than any other genre really; reggae, different jazzz idioms, rock and roll all have their touchstones and modus operandi. I think, as you say, being a young hippy at the time we were subjected to the 'blues boom' of the late 60's'early 70's; a whole bunch of not always very competent British bands giving the Americans a taste of their own bluesy medicine. It did get very boring, I agree, but it did allow the discovery of the great blues artists like Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf etc and my favourites, 'Lightnin' Hopkins, John Lee Hooker and Son House. All these geezers do something unique with the formula, be it guitar styles, the voice or in Robert Johnson's case everything! It was a very subtle art form in the hands of these guys; less so in the hands of British imitators with their loud electric guitars and caterwauling vocals! Oh I don't know...I liked a lot of those bands because that's what we were given as alternative/underground/progressive music and it suited our long hair and teenage rebel posturing: some I still like today and I play their records although I see their limitations now. It's just music, Freddy, after all and God knows there are more important challenges facing our planet today.

All the best.

K

keeper of the quays

Morrison hotel by the doors and mahlers fourth symphony..george szell and cleveland orchestra.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:

That's excellent to hear, Charlie, and much-needed good news, I'm sure.

On the other hand, it looks as though the forum is about to have another of its periodic fights about Jimmy Page being a thief, which can only be to the good.

Today:
Little Feat – Dixie Chicken
Neu! – Neu!
Björk – Homogenic
David Sylvian + Holger Czukay – Flux + Mutability

K

keeper of the quays

I had a listen..mmm...drumming quite different on led zep, led zep had a dynamic sound..and quite brilliant guitar solo..thought moby grape ok? Couldnt feel the emotion..whereas led zeps all emotion..fab..if this great song is the outcome of stealing? Then im a fan of thieves..

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim_W said:
There are many 'formulaic' genres; I guess that's what 'genre' is: a formula. There are ways of being experimental and , ahem, pushing the envelope and Led Zeppelin did this with some vim and vigour. Blues is no more formulaic than any other genre really; reggae, different jazzz idioms, rock and roll all have their touchstones and modus operandi. I think, as you say, being a young hippy at the time we were subjected to the 'blues boom' of the late 60's'early 70's; a whole bunch of not always very competent British bands giving the Americans a taste of their own bluesy medicine. It did get very boring, I agree, but it did allow the discovery of the great blues artists like Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf etc and my favourites, 'Lightnin' Hopkins, John Lee Hooker and Son House. All these geezers do something unique with the formula, be it guitar styles, the voice or in Robert Johnson's case everything! It was a very subtle art form in the hands of these guys; less so in the hands of British imitators with their loud electric guitars and caterwauling vocals! Oh I don't know...I liked a lot of those bands because that's what we were given as alternative/underground/progressive music and it suited our long hair and teenage rebel posturing: some I still like today and I play their records although I see their limitations now. It's just music, Freddy, after all and God knows there are more important challenges facing our planet today.

All the best.

An excellent post Jim, and I agree with every word. Thank you
thumbs_up.gif

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
In honour of the news today that they are getting back together, touring (in Uk in July so hopefully they will play Latitude) and new music

Belly - Star

Belly - King

Loved them back in the 90s and saw thme several times at Shepherds Bush Empire.

Then, as seeing them on Friday in Worthing (yes live music in worthing that isn't the hammond organ)

Fun Lovin Criminals - Come Find Yourself

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Great news! Glad you got a positive result, although I thought you would. Skilled union reps usually get a positive outcome.

I don't know if you'd be interested but WJEC are looking for a Principal Drama Examiner...well 2 actually. Theory and Performance. It's on their website...you'd easily have the experience of course. Thought you may consider it!!

They do indeed.

Thanks, I'm very pleased.

Just seen the job you mentioned. Thanks Jim, I'll have a look

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Backwards and forwards from The Soft Bulletin

Clouds Taste Metallic

Yoshimi

Circuital - My Morning Jacket

Tribute To George Harrison - Jim James (the reverb drenched pinnacle of covers in both artists (George and Jim) own image. Wonderful.

K

keeper of the quays

Beethoven fifth..on decca orange lable(mono) Erich Kleiber conducting...i rate this above toscannini's recording...

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Eric Andersen: 'Stages: The Lost Album'

Eric Andersen: 'Ghosts Upon The Road'

Eric Andersen: 'Be True To You'.

Eric Andersen: 'Blue River'.

Literate, wise, romantic, fascinating, occasionally brutal, uncomfortably honest and all topped off with a deeply affecting voice and impeccable playing. 'Ghosts Upon The Road' is one of the select bunch of records that reduces me to tears every time. Either I'm too sensitive or else I'm gettin' soft.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts