What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 339 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
From your posting and previous postings, it sounds like things aren't great for you. I do hope things look up, and soon
thumbs_up.gif
None of my business I know, just wanted to say.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
From your posting and previous postings, it sounds like things aren't great for you. I do hope things look up, and soon None of my business I know, just wanted to say.

Thanks Freddy.

I know this forum is about all things hi-fi, music, vinyl but I do find a modicum of venting does help a little. Apologies to anyone who, quite understandably, would rather I didn't over personalise my posts.

Things aren't great but there a few possible "green shoots of recovery" in the garden, as it were.

Thanks again.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Freddy58 said:
From your posting and previous postings, it sounds like things aren't great for you. I do hope things look up, and soon None of my business I know, just wanted to say.

Thanks Freddy.

I know this forum is about all things hi-fi, music, vinyl but I do find a modicum of venting does help a little. Apologies to anyone who, quite understandably, would rather I didn't over personalise my posts.

Things aren't great but there a few possible "green shoots of recovery" in the garden, as it were.

Thanks again.

Glad to hear that, Charlie. Personalise away: our lives are intrinsically linked to the music we choose to play.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Freddy58 said:

Thanks Freddy.

Thanks again.

Glad to hear that, Charlie. Personalise away: our lives are intrinsically linked to the music we choose to play.

Indeed they are. Open mind, open heart, ears ready for old and new sounds to make sense or otherwise of this thing called living.

Last night/this morning:

Turangalia - Messiaen/Previn

Daughter Of Cloud - Of Montreal

Together - Bream/Williams

Retrospective - Buffalo Springfield

Ariadne Auf Naxos - R.Strauss/Masur/Leipzig Orchestra

All Aboard - Cpt. John Handy

Masked & Anonymous - soundtrack of "world" Bob covers mostly.

Sangoma - Dollar Brand

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
So I have to make a decision, either I weed out some of the cr*p and sell it, or I weed out some of the cr*p and stick it in the attic.

Weed out some of the cr*p, stick it in the attic, and then sell the attic?

*biggrin*

How much are you offering? And are you sure my attic will fit in your mini?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:

Well said Freddy, and you echoed my thoughts exactly.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
Don't get me wrong - I'm not selling 90% of my vinyl - but as you are pondering too BBB, by the sound of it, what do I do with all dross? I used to defend my need to keep it (it's a library of my past and all that c-rap!), well yes, it is to a point but do I really need to find a home, my home, for records I haven't played for 20-30 years?

I know, I know, but from past experience, I regret quite a lot of the records I've sold, so I still think they're worth keeping, especially ones you've had for years.

Charlie Jefferson said:
I have been forced by circumstance to sell a few of the more valuable pieces of dross (Goldfrapp, The Cranberries. . .) just to have some ready cash coming in but most of the rest is worthless in cash terms.

Goldfrapp = not dross

Cranberries = definite dross (what were you thinking?)

And you'd be surprised at what has value and what hasn't these days. I saw a Queen-Greatest Hits go for over £30 recently on ebay, and not in especially good condition. The vinyl world has gone mad.

Charlie Jefferson said:
Good luck BBB!!!

And more especially to you Charlie, hope things pick up soon.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
Together - Bream/Williams

I had it, thought I still had it, I don't have it, but I have this, so I played it.

Bream/Williams - Together Again

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Freddy58 said:

Me too, Charlie; me too. I think I've said that before, but it merits saying again.

Charlie Jefferson said:
Apologies to anyone who, quite understandably, would rather I didn't over personalise my posts.

I like a bit of personal stuff now and then. It puts 'what vinyl are you listening to' in a more human context.

Charlie Jefferson said:

That's good to hear. Hope those green shoots don't detract from your enjoyment of the old vinyl, though!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Many thanks to everyone who has sent thoughtful words. Much appreciated.

As if to exemplify those "green shoots", today I went job hunting and er, vinyl looking. You can probably guess which was more successful.

Delved into some nice cheap charity shop items. See below:

Prelude - Deodato

Aura - Miles Davis

Renaissance Music - The Linden Singers

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:

Prelude - Deodato

Aura - Miles Davis

To quote Meatloaf, 'Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad'.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

Prelude - Deodato

Aura - Miles Davis

Think you're about right there, BBB.

I managed one side of Deodato, which wasn't bad but felt it deserved lower lighting and more booze on board (don't they all!). Onto Miles now, and this is great.

Very Stravinsky sounding to my ears in the orchestral sections. At times you almost forget there's some bloke with a trumpet awaiting his turn.

All smeared lines and abstract shapes. Mark Hollis and crew surely knew this record. Not sure if that stacks up even as a chronological possibility but you catch my drift.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Think you're about right there, BBB.

I managed one side of Deodato, which wasn't bad but felt it deserved lower lighting and more booze on board (don't they all!). Onto Miles now, and this is great.

Very Stravinsky sounding to my ears in the orchestral sections. At times you almost forget there's some bloke with a trumpet awaiting his turn.

All smeared lines and abstract shapes. Mark Hollis and crew surely knew this record. Not sure if that stacks up even as a chronological possibility but you catch my drift.

I recently bought that Deodato album, but after playing it for about 20 seconds, I decided it needed a good clean. It's now had a good clean, but has since been squeezed into Jazz section. I know a couple of tracks off it anyway, though I would like to hear 'Also...' on vinyl. Must find time.

You'd recommend that Miles album, then? I missed out on a decent looking copy of 'On The Corner' on ebay last night (was at a gig), so I might add 'Aura' to my list of Miles Davis albums to buy.

Bought Barry Adamson's 'Moss Side Story' on ebay today, looking forward to getting that.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Well on one listen to half of Aura it certainly sounds fresh and interesting.

I'm also on the look out for a copy of On The Corner.

I like those Barry Adamson albums he did, but they are stashed out CD somewhere.

Is it a repress or an original? Hope it pays dividends on vinyl.

Being nosey now, what was the gig, BBB?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
Well on one listen to half of Aura it certainly sounds fresh and interesting.

I'm also on the look out for a copy of On The Corner.

I like those Barry Adamson albums he did, but they are stashed out CD somewhere.

Is it a repress or an original? Hope it pays dividends on vinyl.

Being nosey now, what was the gig, BBB?

It's an original on Mute. Described as excellent condition all round, so hopefully it'll live up to that description. Decent price, £7.99.

Gig was Gaz Coombes (the wife paid). He was good though, mainly acoustic, with some strings, harp, horns, and xylophone player, though there was occasional drums, guitar and bass.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm going to a local auction tomorrow morning, as they have quite a few record lots for sale.

Curse this dreaded addiction!!!!!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'm going to a local auction tomorrow morning, as they have quite a few record lots for sale.

Curse this dreaded addiction!!!!!

Hi BBB,

Any bulk purchases of Bryan Ferry or James Last albums in your auction venture?

Helping me recover from the pleasurable excesses of last night:

Beethoven's 3rd symphony - Von Karajan/Berlin PO

The Colour Of Spring - Talk Talk

Hounds Of Love - Kate Bush

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Didn't buy anything. A lot of crap amongst a couple of reasonable records, doesn't equal a sensible purchase, so I refrained.

James Last, Charlie??????

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Didn't buy anything. A lot of crap amongst a couple of reasonable records, doesn't equal a sensible purchase, so I refrained.

Yes, Herr Last, a veritable maestro of muzak, whose albums often get a spin when I'm feeling that way inclined. There's a fascination with the pristine sheen of his "art".

currently playing:

Swords - Morrissey

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Yes, Herr Last, a veritable maestro of muzak, whose albums often get a spin when I'm feeling that way inclined. There's a fascination with the pristine sheen of his "art".

Are there any in particular that you're looking for?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts