What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 293 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
You were a long time gone Freddy. What kept you away, and what brought you back?

Hiya Bernie. In the interests of forum harmony, I'll not answer the first part. As for the second part, I'm just testing the water
thumbs_up.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
You were a long time gone Freddy. What kept you away, and what brought you back?

Hiya Bernie. In the interests of forum harmony, I'll not answer the first part. As for the second part, I'm just testing the water

Sod harmony, names names.*biggrin*

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
All Beach Boys these last few days:

Have you heard the new Brian Wilson album, No Pier Pressure?

I Spotify-ed it and couldn't get past the first track. I'm familiar with all his solo stuff but this sounded too cloying and contrived. Maybe my ears have been spoilt by the 1964-69 period I've been listening to of late.

Is the new one worth some more time??

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi BBB,

"A quick blast before football . . " obviously referred to our 4-2 thrashing of City. Or did you mention you supported another team who play in red, you big nitrous oxide sniffer!!!

Cue: this isn't a football forum type comments.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Moved on from Brian Wilson to some other "boys" of the Pet Shop variety:

Bi-lingual

Discography

Electric

Elysium

Disco 4

And then:

Watercolours - Pat Metheny

AKoM1 - Mark Rusden & The High Club

Bend Beyond - Woods

I Am A Wallet - McCarthy

Jimmy McGriff LP

Electric Ladyland (US Stereo) - Jimi Hemdrix

(A rather battered first press on Reprise for £2 in Scope. It cleaned up really well. Not too many quiet bits on Jimi's records, fortunately).

Discovery - Daft Punk

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
thescarletpronster said:
Have you heard the new Brian Wilson album, No Pier Pressure?
Is the new one worth some more time??

I haven't heard it, as it's not really my 'bag'. I just wondered, as you like the Beach Boys, whether you knew about the new one.

Too sunny to stay indoors and listen to records today, but I listened last night to a couple of the records I bought yesterday:

Courtney Barnett – Sometimes I Just Sit and Think, Sometimes I Just Sit (Aussie indie-punky singer-songwritery story-telling stuff, like it a lot)
The Staves – If I Was (melodic, bit folky, not sure about it yet, might grow on me or might not)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
you big nitrous oxide sniffer!!!

Typical of the English press, build 'em up, to knock 'em down, that said, he does need a proper kick up the ar$e, and even more importantly, a new agent.

It wouldn't suprise me at all to find out that his own agent supplied the said images to the press just to drive a wedge between him and the club. He needs to understand that his agent only wants him to move so he can get a big pay off himself, he doesn't care at all for the welfare of the player. Agents are vermin.

Rant over.*smile*

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Baroness - Blue Record, 45rpm 2LP, sounds amazing like all the rest of my Baroness vinyl. Heartily recommended!

Dave Pike Set - Doors Of Perception, get your vibes on, man.

Temples - Sun Restructured, great rehash of some album tracks

All washed down with some Leffe Brune *drinks*

matthewpiano

I've been listening to a lot of vinyl in the last few days, since I parked my RP3/Elys2 in a cupboard and connected my Pioneer PL12D II and AT95e up. More musical and involving, and it really entices me to play the black stuff.

LPs played have included:

Supertramp - Crisis, What Crisis?!

Joni Mitchell - Blue

Great Tenor Arias (an old Pickwick LP including Bergonzi, McCracken, King etc.)

Queen - Queen II

Barclay James Harvest - XII

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Took a punt on this today; weird, experimental early synthesizer stuff. Liking it.

David-Vorhaus-White-Noise-2-331041.jpg

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Had a bit of a cultural mix-up day:

OOIOO – Gamel (gamelan-inspired Japanese improvised jazz-rock)
Dengue Fever – The Deepest Lake (indie rock infused with Cambodian pop and Latin rhythms).

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Please, Please Me - The Beatles (mono)

Smiley Smile - The Beach Boys (Stereo apparently, although it sounds very mono to me)

Living Fields - Portico

Carrie & Lowell - Sufjan Stevens

Today - The Beach Boys (mono)

The Grand Wazoo - FZ/The Mothers

Manhattan Symphonie - Dexter Gordan Quartet

20/20 - The Beach Boys

Smile Sessions Box - The Beach Boys

Love You - The Beach Boys

Holland - The Beach Boys

Electric Cafe - Kraftwerk

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Nice to see you on here Charlie. Haven't seen Jim on here for a little while, I do hope he hasn't popped his clogs without changing his will so I inherit his record collection. *biggrin*

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Nice to see you on here Charlie. Haven't seen Jim on here for a little while, I do hope he hasn't popped his clogs without changing his will so I inherit his record collection. *biggrin*

Thanks BBB.

I too was wondering about Jim's whereabouts. And regarding that great record collection, I'm sure he'll be happy to acknowledge the newly-created, little known Teachers' Mutual Vinyl Benevolent Fund law.

It's only applicable between ex and current Drama teachers living in either Nottinghamshire & Yorkshire, apprently.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
And regarding that great record collection, I'm sure he'll be happy to acknowledge the newly-created, little known Teachers' Mutual Vinyl Benevolent Fund law.

It's only applicable between ex and current Drama teachers living in either Nottinghamshire & Yorkshire, apprently.

Good try, Charlie, but I feel I'm still ahead of you in the pecking order, as I've married Jim's daughter. *biggrin*

Charlie Jefferson said:
I too was wondering about Jim's whereabouts.

In all seriousness, I was hoping my little remark might get him back onto the forum, so I do hope he hasn't fallen off his bike.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts