What value to put on upgrading satellite cable?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have recently bought a Sky+HD 1 TB box as a replacement for my V+HD box and I spent last weekend trying to get the best I could from the satellite signal. I was a bit perplexed though as every time I changed anything, I seemed to get a reduction in signal strength/quality.

I am curious as to whether the connections and the satellite cable are the weak link in the "chain". I am currently using the standard Sky supplied cable and screw on connectors, which is hardly a quality cable to say the least... The termination from cable to plugs seems poor as each time I re-terminated these, I got noticable differences in signal strength/quality, and not necesarrily for the best.

If I invest in some decent satellite cable, such as QED Professional or Ixos Premium, how much of an improvement is this likely to make over the standard Sky supplied cable? Am I likely to see an improvement in the picture quality? Is it worth the £60-£80 it would cost for the required lengths of Ixos or QED cables respectively?

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
i to purchased a 1TB box off of sky had same issues when engineer called dident check dish lnb so called them out again they replaced dish lnb everything is fine now regarding picture mine is excellent picture a improvement on my old sky + hd box and am only using standard sky cables so maybe its just your dish etc did you buy the box of sky?

A

Anonymous

Yea, I got it from Sky. I have replaced the cable with brand new Sky supplied cable that I had spare, but have made use of used connectors and dish. I have got a spare (new) dish in the loft, so could replace that if need be.

The differenced I was getting in signal strength/quality when terminating and re-terminating the connectors was what made me think that I simply wasn't getting a good connection. If I were yo buy one of the afformentioned cables, the connections would be better that I will ever get from what I've got, but what difference will it really make???

A

Anonymous

Has anyone tried replacing Satellite cable, and what was the result? Quality terminated satellite cable seems difficult to find, Futureshop do it and stock the likes of the QED and Ixos as mentioned before, but the QED website doesn't have any satellite cable. Does this mean that they no longer make it?

daveh75

What 'Sky supplied' cable have you got?

If it's the thin WF65 type shotgun/twin cable then it has quite high losses

If it's the thicker WF100 type cable (either single or twin) then its actually very good quality 75ohm double screened (CAI approved/benchmarked) cable.

Though if your picture/sound is stable ( i.e no blocking/pixelation or sound pops and cracks and no drop out in poor weather) then there really is no point in changing it. It won't improve PQ/SQ!

Incidently the QED QX100 cable is/was made to the same geometry, from the same materials and to the same industry standards as the CAI approved stuff (though isn't CAI approved/benchmarked - Presumably because they've never submitted it), only difference is they charge two to four times the price for it (depending where you buy it) because it has QED written on it!

A

Anonymous

I'm not sure which it is... It has "Webro BSkyB Twin 63-008A 30/01/10 018168" printed on it but I don't know how that relates to WF65 or WF100.

daveh75

dougolada said:
I'm not sure which it is... It has "Webro BSkyB Twin 63-008A 30/01/10 018168" printed on it but I don't know how that relates to WF65 or WF100.

It's the thin stuff, equivilent to WF65. Though as i said no point in changing it,

Though if you really are set on changing just use WF100. You can buy it preterminated with quality compression fittings, from http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page8.htm#WF100cutSingle

A

Anonymous

Well I've just had some heavy rain and guess what - "no satellite signal"!

Hmm, I can't be doing with that every time I get heavy rain...

I think the compression fittings is really what I'm after as that should improve the termination. I don't know that that would make any difference to the loss of signal when it rains though...

daveh75

dougolada said:
Well I've just had some heavy rain and guess what - "no satellite signal"!

Hmm, I can't be doing with that every time I get heavy rain...

I think the compression fittings is really what I'm after as that should improve the termination. I don't know that that would make any difference to the loss of signal when it rains though...

If your signal is weak/borderline to start with then the high losses of that thin cable + poor connections could be the difference between getting a signal and not getting one.

Though the 'rain fade' your experiencing is more likely to be caused by a faulty or poorly adjusted LNB or dish mis-alignment tbh.

A

Anonymous

The signal is generally strong, but from it to go to no signal at all doesn't seem right... I do have a spare dish so replacing that certainly isn't an issue. I've been reading up on the cable, and I don't think the WF100 cable would be a bad investment. It certainly won't break the bank and at the very least, will be more durable than the stuff I've got at the moment. If I also get this with the compression fittings, that should minimise any losses from poor termination.

I did spend a decent amount of time experimenting with the angle & height of the dish so I don't think there should be any issues there. I'm glad I enjoy doing all of this, it would be a big pain in the **** otherwise...

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Depends how heavy the rain is. If it is a real thunderstorm downpour then it is not suprising you lost your signal.

Why not try some crimp on connectors? Only problem is you would have to buy a crimping tool, but these are much better than the screw on type.

A

Anonymous

Well I've just ordered some WF100 cable with compression fittings. Hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow and will fit that and a replacement dish & LNB. Will report back with results when I have done this. Depending on the outcome, I may invest in a bigger (region 2) dish, but this can wait for the time being...

Thanks all for your advice!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Though the 'rain fade' your experiencing is more likely to be caused by a faulty or poorly adjusted LNB or dish mis-alignment tbh.

When I used to have this problem it was because the originally fitter hadn't weatherproofed the connections at the LNB properly (I think there's a cover of some sorts that sits around the connections, he hadn't put it on?), after I had the other dish fitted that guy replaced the cover and re-terminated the cables and I've never had a problem since.

Incidentally daveh75, my original dish, fitted about ten years ago has a seriously rusty support arm on the bracket, can I get Sky to replace that FOC?

A

Anonymous

I think you'd be hard pushed to get them to do it free of charge as you will be outwith any warranty period. Also as a rusty support arm is largely a cosmetic issue and won't actually make any difference to the service, I don't think they'd send someone out for that.

Perhaps an exaggeration of the problem and a threat to leave Sky would help persuade them to send out a free engineer. Is it possible to do it yourself? You can get a new dish for £10-£15 delivered. Of course, if you can get Sky to do it free of charge, then that's better, but I don't know if they'll be overly willing to do it.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
dougolada said:
I think you'd be hard pushed to get them to do it free of charge as you will be outwith any warranty period. Also as a rusty support arm is largely a cosmetic issue and won't actually make any difference to the service, I don't think they'd send someone out for that.

No, when I say rusty, I mean a large proportion of the arm has rotted away, I'm amazed it survived last night's winds to be honest. I'll take a picture if I remember and put it up here.

Perhaps an exaggeration of the problem and a threat to leave Sky would help persuade them to send out a free engineer. Is it possible to do it yourself? You can get a new dish for £10-£15 delivered. Of course, if you can get Sky to do it free of charge, then that's better, but I don't know if they'll be overly willing to do it.

Really doesn't need any exaggeration and I wouldn't be able to get it properly aligned. There's a local fitter who could replace it, I could ask him how much it'd cost I suppose.

A

Anonymous

In that case, I'd go down the health and safety route. Tell them how bad it is and that you're concerned that the dish may come down, which makes it dangerous for it to be left how it is. I can't see them refusing a free callout if you convince them that it is a H&S issue.

A

Anonymous

Webnomics Technologies is a asp.net development and outsourcing company providing affordable design and development services. Now a new project of Virtual IT launched as a (virtual education (forex trading ) Webnomics technologies has their expertise in forex market and travel industry which provide most latest forex trading, forex broker and updates. Webnomics Technologies also have etravel services for the one cheap trip booking booking. Webnomics technologies has a software development department to provide modern software | best travel deals | travel insurance | web development

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts